Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Arkadin

Community

"Criminally unfunny" strikes me as a little much given that the episode has the hilarious Abed meta-joke/throwaway gag with the sweatshirt and some surprisingly good Britta moments, plus no episode that features Troy is going to be completely devoid of laughs. It wasn't their most memorable episode, I agree-- and as for Chang, he's one of those characters who's good in small doses but should never be the center of an entire half hour. It's like watching a Seinfeld episode that's all about Newman.

"Criminally unfunny" strikes me as a little much given that the episode has the hilarious Abed meta-joke/throwaway gag with the sweatshirt and some surprisingly good Britta moments, plus no episode that features Troy is going to be completely devoid of laughs.

I dunno. I think that Britta has come into her own this season--largely because they've stopped treating her as The Love Interest--but I didn't really like what they did with her in this episode. The sweatshirt moment was decent (and yes, any episode with Troy is going to have a laugh or two).

I don't know...the Pulp Fiction thing that got promoted was a totally nice midirect of the show's primary tribute.

I suppose they couldn't really advertise it as the "My Dinner with Andre episode," which is what it was. I still enjoyed it. A little darker and different than the typical Community episode, but episodes like this keep the show very character-centric and provide a refreshing break from the norm.

If nothing else, Community has added Degree of Difficulty to the criteria for judging the humor of sitcoms. This episode was more clever than funny, but for now, I enjoy being surprised by this show week by week.

A little darker and different than the typical Community episode, but episodes like this keep the show very character-centric and provide a refreshing break from the norm.

Certainly.

I finally caught up with this one-- running almost a week behind!-- and was pleasantly surprised; as someone who tends to be pretty ambivalent about these darker, more experimental episodes, this one really pulled me in. I loved the characterization moments with Abed and Jeff. I could take or leave most of the Pulp Fiction/My Dinner with Andre references, honestly, but I'd call it a classic Community for these reasons alone:

1. Jeff's mortifying/hilarious Halloween story

2. Troy drinking "no-no juice"

3. The relentless Cougar Town slams

I'll admit, I first watched this episode because I can't really resist a good Pulp Fiction homage/parody. But I was pleasantly surprised to see that that wasn't really the point of the episode at all. At times, I was reminded of Spaced and it's running meta-commentary on pop culture and the way it shapes our lives, conversation, etc. But then, the episode basically achieved a sort of meta-meta-commentary regarding how such a meta-approach to life affects us that I found rather intriguing. And it didn't hurt that the episode had several hilarious moments, some of which Josh mentioned. And I loved the Abed/Troy moment at the end... "What market are you shopping at?!"

Last night's episode was another high-concept experiment: a clip show where the clips aren't from real episodes; i.e. they shot the clips just for this episode.

I thought it worked pretty well.

Last night's episode was another high-concept experiment: a clip show where the clips aren't from real episodes; i.e. they shot the clips just for this episode.

I thought it worked pretty well.

It was pretty stellar.

Agreed. When I realized what they were doing...I couldn't help to feel it was a little brilliant.

It made 30 ROCK, which came on a little later and was, in fact, a real "clip show" episode, seem pretty darn lackluster, even though it had its share of good moments.

I really lost it when we got the Jeff/Annie montage. And then, when the show pushed it to a new place with the Abed/Pierce montage.

Yeah. The funny thing is they are loving digs. Abed is supposed to be a tru fan of the show. Harmon and company do not hate the show... He is friends with the creator of Cougartown.

I've watched four episodes of Community; I don't see what's so special about it myself.

On the flipside, my wife and I just finished the first season and loved it. The paintball episode? Wonderful.

I've watched four episodes of Community; I don't see what's so special about it myself.

The question is, "Which four episodes?"

Not all COMMUNITY is created equal. It wasn't until the second half of the first season that I really began to develop an affection for the show (with the paintball episode really winning me over), and I have to admit that the second season was only occasionally brilliant.

The question is, "Which four episodes?"

Not all COMMUNITY is created equal. It wasn't until the second half of the first season that I really began to develop an affection for the show (with the paintball episode really winning me over), and I have to admit that the second season was only occasionally brilliant.

I watched the pilot, "Comparative Religion", "Paradigms of Human Memory" and "Asian Population Studies". I'd say "Comparative Religion" was the best outta the four.

I love "Paradigms of Human Memory," but I suspect that episode would only really register if you've traveled the long road with these characters and come to love them, and I don't think either of the others you mention make great entry points into the series.

That said, it's possible COMMUNITY ain't for you.