Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Arkadin

Community

The Halloween episode airs this week (on Valentine's Day, which is kind of perfect). So we'll get to see this in action:

Community-Paranormal-Parentage2.jpg

Yes, that's Abed and Troy as Calvin and Hobbes.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Wow. What a lackluster episode. Two episodes in...and so far? I am not sure I can bring myself to finish off the series.

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

Once again, I think the episode had it's moments ("too cool for after school specials"), but the episode lacked a decent structure.

From what I hear the next episode or two is a big upswing in quality, so I'd encourage others to stick with the show for a couple of more episodes.

Once again, I think the episode had it's moments ("too cool for after school specials"), but the episode lacked a decent structure.

From what I hear the next episode or two is a big upswing in quality, so I'd encourage others to stick with the show for a couple of more episodes.

AV Club liked this episode (B+, which seems high to me), but said "next week’s is perhaps the worst the show’s done."

It also had the show's worst ratings ever.

Edited by Tyler

Twitter Blog

FWIW, I liked the Halloween episode quite a bit more than the premiere. There were some good Troy/Abed moments -- their reaction to the decommissioned submarine was perfect, and then of course, "Secret dogs!" -- and some good Britta-isms ("Let me heal your heart hole!"). The rest of the characters felt more like the characters we know and love from previous seasons.

That being said, I did find some of the pop culture references a bit, shall we say, forced. Which has me wondering if the show isn't trying to pull something over on us.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The season finale will reveal that Harmon was never fired and has been running the show all along... the firing and all the problems with Chase were totally fabricated...it was an elborate hoax. :)

That would be appropriately meta for the show.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

It would totally change my feelings on the start of the season. :)

The season finale will reveal that Harmon was never fired and has been running the show all along... the firing and all the problems with Chase were totally fabricated...it was an elborate hoax. smile.png

I actually had that thought when the Harmon being ousted news first came out.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Last night's episode had its moments...but I felt more disconnected from Community than ever and am not sure I will make it through the season.

Right on, Thom. I still haven't seen last night's episode, but we finally caught this year's Halloween episode. I laughed more than I did for the fourth season premiere (not hard to top zero laughs), but something felt incredibly off. My interest is waning. But hey, those first three seasons are still golden. Can't take that away. #threeseasonsandatragedy

Edited by Jason Panella

So...they find the demon dimension that turned Angel into a puppet?

Not sure if I should be disappointed that i was being unoriginal or pleased I think along the same lines as the AV Club. :)

Not sure if last night's episode was the best of this season, but I definitely think it was the funniest. A much higher percentage of jokes landed than in the earlier episodes. I've liked some of the character things they've done in other episodes, though. The developments in this episode were nice, too, though.

Twitter Blog

Really, last night was one that felt closest to the first three seasons for me in performance and tone. Overall, I liked it.

Man...leave it to Ryan to dump on our mutual agreement. ;)

Still haven't seen the most recent episode, but I've warmed up to the season so far. I don't love it, and it's very different than the first three seasons, but I found little things here and there to enjoy. Maybe I just enjoy seeing these actors on the screen together. I think that even though Dan Harmon isn't running the show, some of the good writers are still on board (Megan Ganz, for instance).

Man...leave it to Ryan to dump on our mutual agreement. wink.png

Sorry guys. :P

Take it from me, I'm bummed. But I was never quite as enthusiastic about COMMUNITY as others. My affection for the show kept diminishing during the second and third seasons, though there were always a few great episodes to make me fall in love all over again. That hasn't happened with this season.