Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Arkadin

Community

Well, as I said...I thought it was the closest. I am still watching out of old affection. I sometimes feel like we need to to break up, Community and Me...but I cannot really bring myself to do it...

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

I thought the episode was pretty dull. I've just about given up on the show.

You're like the Colin Farrell of people.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

I've posted some thoughts re. the fourth season, which overall, I found very disappointing and underwhelming.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I've posted some thoughts re. the fourth season, which overall, I found very disappointing and underwhelming.

Nice write-up, Jason. I agree with your overall thoughts, too. That said, I did like a few of the episodes, though they really felt like decent episodes from some other TV show. So as much as I was frustrated with the fourth season, I found myself liking parts of it. What I didn't like in any way, shape, or form was the season finale. It gets my vote for (by far) the worst Community episode.

Edited by Jason Panella

Yeah... that was pretty much how I felt watching the season.

Nice write-up, Jason. I agree with your overall thoughts, too. That said, I did like a few of the episodes, though they really felt like decent episodes from some other TV show. So as much as I was frustrated with the fourth season, I found myself liking parts of it. What I didn't like in any way, shape, or form was the season finale. It gets my vote for (by far) the worst Community episode.

If you have to try and make us think paintball is cool again -- which assumes that we ever thought it was uncool -- by telling us that you've made paintball cool again, then you've failed.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Harmon coming back sounds pretty official now.

Alan Sepinwall:

So why was Harmon asked back? Harmon mentioned in that tweet that we can thank Joel McHale for his return, which squares with what I've heard from people close to the show: several of the castmembers weren't happy with the season 4 scripts and pushed Sony for Harmon's return. Given that — and given that the ratings actually decreased without Harmon, suggesting that "Community" was never going to resemble a broad-based hit no matter who was in charge — I can see Sony deciding to appease both their stars and the fans, and perhaps enhance the show's afterlife on DVD, streaming, etc.

Twitter Blog

Glad to hear he's coming back. Hopefully his return will be smooth enough for a strong fifth season.

When I first started watching this show when it came out, I didn't expect it to make more than three seasons. While this last one was certainly the poorest one of the bunch, I'm looking forward to another season and glad we got at least this much of the show so far.

Wow. The Troy/Abed dynamic is kind of a big part of the show...and I am not sure there has been all that much clamor for more effort into the Childish Gambino persona...

Donald Glover will only appear in 5 of the 13 episodes next season so he can focus more on Childish Gambino.

If that isn't the death knell for COMMUNITY, I don't know what is.

I suspect this is less about Glover wanting to work on his Childish Gambino stuff and more about him fleeing a sinking ship.

Glover explains his exit via Instagram

FWIW, I just started the series--just finished Season 2, in fact--and (for all my affection for the show), I suspect that its decline [if decline I see once I hit Ssn 4--fully expect it based on comments here and elsewhere] has its roots much earlier than Dan Harmon's exit. As early as the second season there's a sense of doubling-down on the weirdness without the attendant--I dunno, pathos?--that makes the first season enjoyably quirky. Everything escalates; Chang flanderizes quicker than anyone else, but the dean, too, is always having to go just a little more over the top, with every costume more ridiculous than the last, etc etc etc. So eventually--when we get to the (fantastic, fwiw) season finale--there's already a faint sense of "been there" hovering over the character.

Now, broadly grotesque characters and narratives that not only discourage but actively forbid identification--I can get on board with these. But it's easy to see how this increasing intensification can eventually cause the whole machine to break down--with or without Harmon at the helm.

Edited by NBooth

Donald Glover will only appear in 5 of the 13 episodes next season so he can focus more on Childish Gambino.

If that isn't the death knell for COMMUNITY, I don't know what is.

I suspect this is less about Glover wanting to work on his Childish Gambino stuff and more about him fleeing a sinking ship.

Glover explains his exit via Instagram

FWIW, I just started the series--just finished Season 2, in fact--and (for all my affection for the show), I suspect that its decline [if decline I see once I hit Ssn 4--fully expect it based on comments here and elsewhere] has its roots much earlier than Dan Harmon's exit. As early as the second season there's a sense of doubling-down on the weirdness without the attendant--I dunno, pathos?--that makes the first season enjoyably quirky. Everything escalates; Chang flanderizes quicker than anyone else, but the dean, too, is always having to go just a little more over the top, with every costume more ridiculous than the last, etc etc etc. So eventually--when we get to the (fantastic, fwiw) season finale--there's already a faint sense of "been there" hovering over the character.

Now, broadly grotesque characters and narratives that not only discourage but actively forbid identification--I can get on board with these. But it's easy to see how this increasing intensification can eventually cause the whole machine to break down--with or without Harmon at the helm.

I can see this. It might also be the reason I was less negative on Season 4 than others were (not saying there wasn't a marked decline). Also, despite the Dean's over-the-top nature, he just might be my favourite character on the show.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I am sure it is different for many, but for me Community in  2011 was the last time I followed network programming schedules. It's Thursday night, guys. There will be a funny show on NBC.

I hung out for a bit longer with NBC's Thursday nights (PARKS AND REC was strong enough to keep me in there for a bit, though I've since lost interest in the show).

Now, the only block of network TV I watch is Fox's BROOKLYN NINE-NINE and NEW GIRL. BROOKLYN is off to a very promising start and NEW GIRL is still going strong.

Vince Gilligan will make his acting debut on Community as a "smooth-talking gold digger." Other guest stars this season will include Jonathan Banks, Mitch Hurwitz (Harmon was on the Netflix Arrested Development), Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim, Walton Goggins, Nathan Fillion, John Oliver, LeVar Burton, Brie Larson, Ben Folds, Robert Patrick, Kumail Nanjiani, Paget Brewster, and Rob Corddry.

If you can't be great, at least stay busy.

Edited by Tyler

Twitter Blog

Finished the third season last night. I'll probably get to four eventually, but the last few episodes of Three had a distinctly shark-jumping feel to them. (That said, I don't think the season was all bad. "Basic Lupine Urology" may be one of my favorite episodes of the whole series).

Edited by NBooth