Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Arkadin

Mysterious Film with a Mysterious Teaser

Interesting...

Obviously we're looking at genetic tampering. Perhaps with military intent? Perhaps just an experiment in trying to come up with a better kind of beef gone wrong?

My dungeons and dragons dork background is trying to tell me the creature is a basilisk. (A 6 or 8-legged reptillian thing that turns people to stone with its gaze, like Medusa.)

One thing though... I do hope the handheld cam perspective is only temporary. I think I've just about had enough of that... um... 'style' of filmmaking.

One thing though... I do hope the handheld cam perspective is only temporary. I think I've just about had enough of that... um... 'style' of filmmaking.

If DISTRICT 9 is any indication, the film might segue in and out of that mode.

But I'm with ya; the "found footage" style drives me crazy. Heck, I've come to despise the all-too-popular hand-held, documentary-style camerawork that has dominated the landscape.

Apparently the movie is called Elysium and it's set "in the far future on another planet". So... not sure how that connects to this video.

I heard somewhere else--can't remember where--that ELYSIUM is actually set on earth, not on another planet. But without a link, I can't confirm that for sure.

So, um, when are we gonna update the thread title?

- - -

Sony Pictures Snaps Up Neill Blomkamp's 'Elysium'; Matt Damon And Jodie Foster Set To Star

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures has won the right to distribute District 9 filmmaker Neill Blomkamp's next project titled Elysium. . . .

I'm told this the movie has the social allegory present in the Sony Pictures Entertainment-directed District 9, but it's an unabashedly big movie, set 100 years in the future, with all of the obligatory gadgets and technological advances. Blomkamp will have his sets designed by Syd Mead, famous for his work on films like Blade Runner. Mead's very hard to hire, but he responded because he so liked District 9. The film will prep in April, and start production in July in Vancouver before moving to Mexico City in the fall. The film will be delivered in time for release during the 2012 holidays. It's a tent pole-sized proposition, but like Chris Nolan's Inception, it's a fully realized project that a studio can pencil into its release calendar. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, January 19

The other day, Baal_T'shuvah started a thread on Elysium, but then he noted that this thread already exists, and he asked if one of the moderators could merge the new thread into this one.

Now, however, The Playlist reports that the short film which *started* this thread -- the "Mysterious Film with a Mysterious Teaser" to which this thread's title refers -- might have nothing to do with Elysium after all:

With the presentation at Hall H wrapped up and the film not hitting theaters until next year, we continue to wait to see more from "Elysium," but Blomkamp may have a little surprise for fans up his sleeve. Folks may remember that in the
, a mysterious video he directed appeared in an iPad issue of Wired titled "
AGM Heartland
." Nothing has been heard about it since, but Blomkamp said it's "a weird, strange science fiction comedy" shot on an iPhone, and that there may be more on the way: "That has nothing to do with 'Elysium.' That's another project that may very well see the light of day soon, that is absolutely hilarious.
Hilarious
. I love that project. I may release another video of that pretty soon actually." Keep your eyes peeled.

So... keep the two threads distinct? Maybe move the Elysium posts from this thread over into the other thread? Maybe retitle this thread 'AGM Heartland'?

Blomkamp recently stated that his upcoming film Chappie is "basically based on 'Tetra Vaal'", which is the short film below. But is there any relationship between the sci-fi comedy based on the video below and the sci-fi comedy based on the video at the top of this thread?

Link to the possibly duplicate Chappie thread ("possibly" because it all depends on whatever the video at the top of this thread was all about).