Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Top100: Short Summaries

13 posts in this topic

What about capsules or short summary reviews? Do we want to have both for the list? I'm not sure I have much in the way of reviews to contribute, but I'd definitely volunteer to write a series of capsule summaries for some films on the list.

I'm on jury duty (this should go under prayer request, I suppose), so after I finish the draft of my sermon sitting in the hallway tomorrow, I'll try to work on some capsule reviews of Breaking the Waves, Witness and Fearless.

Here's a site I've been meaning to pimp for a long time. Some great, thoughtful, reviews from a Christian perspective. I'm sure if you e-mailed the admin, he would let you link to the relivant ones.

http://www.ransomfellowship.org/Movies_Reviews.html

From what I see, out of our 100 list they have reviews for:

American Beauty

Big Kahuna

Three Colors (more a brief summary of Kieslowsky)

Changing Lanes

Decalogue

It's a Wonderful Life

Magnolia

On the Waterfront

The Passion

Ponette

Signs

Sixth Sense

Tender Mercies

Thirteen Conversations about One Thing

Truman Show

Edited by solishu

Do we really want to limit this to one review (and/or capsule) per film?

It seems to me that, in some cases, some folks here might have voted for the same movie but for different, even opposite, reasons. Getting some of that diversity across could be a good thing.

Believe it or not, Alan, at long last I have some time to put back into this crazy project of ours. I'll jot some stuff for as many of the remaining titles as I've seen, and send it off to you. (Well, take that as an intention rather than a promise: we'll see how things actually play out! But I have my hopes...)

Thank you, Matt; for summarizing La Dolce Vita. I have also received a summary of Peter and Paul, which I will be posting shortly.

I'm slightly confused. Do you mean that you've posted the La Dolce Vita summary, because if so, then for some reason I can't see it, (or are you just letting people know so they can cross it off the list above?)

Matt

I am sorry Alan, is it easy for you to create a revised, updated list of films that don't have summaries?

Now that we have a new list, I assume this will become an issue again? Considering that we have . . . is it 39 new films which need summaries?

Oooh! and W;t

This made-for-cable adaptation of Margaret Edson's Pulitzer Prize-winning play of the same name is an excellent example of less is more in filmmaking.  With subtlety, finesse, and power it draws you in to the highly cognitive world of Dr. Vivian Bearing (perfectly played by the understated Emma Thompson), as she is discovering she has serious ovarian cancer.  It deftly dances between comedy and tragedy as she tries to relay the experience of her treatment directly to the viewer confined by her own standards of professionalism and stoicism.  The film is of course powerful for the big questions it asks about the worship of intellect, the need for human contact, and research for the sake of research, but it is the unspoken gems that give this film, and the play, their power. For example, the first time Dr. Bearing is asked her name she has to say it twice, then spell it. Then she is asked "Doctor?" And she replies, "Yes, I have my PhD in 17th century literature." The orderly then says, "No, your doctor's name." She replies, "Oh, Dr. Kelekian." By the end of the film, when she goes for another test, the orderly barely has a chance to open his mouth and she says "B-E-A-R-I-N-G, Kelekian". It's never addressed directly, but the language of the hospital is part of her world now, whether she likes it or not.

That's an interesting idea, Alan. But I'm not sure what advantages it would give over a summary written by one person but consciously reflecting the ideas of others as expressed in a thread about the film in question. And wouldn't be vulnerable to vandalism?

Ideally, I'm looking for capsule reviews of 1-4 paragraphs, not written in the first person and relatively useful to others (i.e. not "this film illustrates the vast conspiracy that has been behind [blah blah blah]...").

Good thing JFK is not on the list... :P