Peter T Chattaway

Narnia: Silver Chair? Magician's Nephew? reboot?

Peter on Facebook you said something about them running out of ways to shoehorn Tilda Swinton into the films. Couldn't they just have re-cast her as the Green Witch (or whatever she is I can't remember OTTOMH) in SC as the BBC series did?

Matt

MattPage wrote:

: Peter on Facebook you said something about them running out of ways to shoehorn Tilda Swinton into the films. Couldn't they just have re-cast her as the Green Witch (or whatever she is I can't remember OTTOMH) in SC as the BBC series did?

They could have, and indeed there was speculation that they might go in that direction, but in a YouTube interview posted earlier in this thread, Doug Gresham said they would have to find a new actress if they went ahead with The Silver Chair; his exact words: "I think it will have to be a new cast. This evil spirit has found a new, young body in which to inhabit, and I think that has to happen."

Which, incidentally, raises the question of whether the witch in The Silver Chair is supposed to be a reincarnation of Jadis, but anyhoo.

The quote that jumps out at me in those articles is the huge qualifier, "If we can all agree to move forward..." Yikes. I still have my doubts that a 4th movie will happen.

Micheal Flaherty says it's not clear yet which book will be adapted next, but he says he's hoping for The Magician's Nephew because movie-ticket sales seem to mirror book sales, and TMN is one of the most popular books in the series; and he's not inclined towards The Silver Chair because that book is "pretty dark . . . physically and tonally. A lot of it takes place underground." Um, okay...

Guest Pax

I'd guess TMN because of the visual interest and range of settings. It would allow them to feature Jadis, visit other worlds, explain the wardrobe, lots of Aslan, visual beauty [of creation of Narnia], etc.

Edited by Pax

NarniaWeb:

We have been contacted by someone close to the production that Walden Media has pulled out of making any further Narnia movies.

We are trying to confirm this news as quickly as possible. And should this indeed be the case (which is very likely) we have no idea what will become of the series from this point on.

I have permission to report this from Walden Media:

"In terms of Narnia, we are still hopeful to reach a deal with the CSLewis Estate."

And that's all I can report. So, no, it's not over. Not necessarily. Not yet.

Overstreet wrote:

: I have permission to report this from Walden Media:

: "In terms of Narnia, we are still hopeful to reach a deal with the CSLewis Estate."

Yeah, that's what NarniaWeb said in an update to the post linked earlier, e.g.:

UPDATE 2: I did have a chance to speak with officials from Walden Media today. Walden stated emphatically that they are still pursing another Narnia film and that they are continuing discussions with the C.S. Lewis Estate to make that a reality. At the present time nothing has been confirmed. But there has not yet been a final yes, or a final no. If Walden does another Narnia film, it will almost certainly be The Magician’s Nephew.

I'm a little surprised to hear that the hold-up here is at the Greshams' end (for who else could "the CS Lewis Estate" be referring to?) rather than the studio's. I wonder what the reason is. (Disagreement over which book should be adapted next?)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

The Next Narnia Film: Where We Are Now

During the negotiations between Fox, Walden, and the C.S. Lewis Estate, the film option that Walden Media owned was allowed to expire and Walden Media no longer has exclusive purchasing rights to any further Narnia films. (What’s the difference between a film option and the film rights? Check out Wikipedia’s article here.) This has been confirmed to us by representatives of the C.S. Lewis Estate.

And while Walden and Fox have confirmed they are both interested in making more Narnia films, our understanding is that, by law, the C.S. Lewis Estate must wait a certain period of time (called a moratorium) before they can sell the film option for the Narnia books again. And when they do, it will be available to any film company out there interested in bidding on it, not just Walden and Fox. . . .

NarniaWeb.com, September 27

The Lion's Call:

In a recent talk given in Oxford, Douglas Gresham was questioned on the future of the Narnia films. He seems very keen to continue having them made but mentioned a seven year moratorium on producing any new Narnia films if they are not made by Walden Studios. The purpose of the moratorium seems to be to "prevent them using anything from the Walden films," though I'm not exactly sure what he meant by that. He said he may have them made independently, enabling him to have a full say on everything that goes into the script. He spoke specifically about
The Silver Chair
, indicating quite clearly that he wants to see it made next rather than The Magicians Nephew. He also said he would like to see Andrew Adamson taking on a directing role again. In the meantime, work is going ahead for a film adaptation of
The Screwtape Letters
. When asked if
The Space Trilogy
would ever be made into films, he said something to the effect of "find me a billionaire with really deep pockets and I'll get them made."

...The purpose of the moratorium seems to be to "prevent them using anything from the Walden films," though I'm not exactly sure what he meant by that.

Well, one thing that would essentially mean is taking away the ability to use the absolutely perfectly cast Will Poulter as Eustace for The Silver Chair or The Last Battle.

...The purpose of the moratorium seems to be to "prevent them using anything from the Walden films," though I'm not exactly sure what he meant by that.

Well, one thing that would essentially mean is taking away the ability to use the absolutely perfectly cast Will Poulter as Eustace for The Silver Chair or The Last Battle.

That ship may have pretty well sailed by the time Prince Caspian opened, at least as regards The Silver Chair. Someone at Walden, I think Micheal Flaherty, told me that Poulter had hit a growth spurt and shot to over six feet. Major Neville Longbottom awkwardness too early i

Government shutdown, dude. It's anarchy out there. I feared this would happen. 

And with the shutdown, you just know that will lead to more reboots!  ;)

And with the shutdown, you just know that will lead to more reboots!  wink.png

Edited by NBooth

So in the book, Eustace was 10 years old in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  He's 16 in The Last Battle.  Looks like Poulter was 16 or 17 at the time of the last film.  Now he's 20.  They're going to lose him if they haven't already.

The seven year moratorium might be tied to release dates or production schedules. In which case, we shouldn't expect an actual film for a few years at least. (When did Walden sign its own deal with the Lewis estate? It was around 2001, wasn't it? In which case it took four years to make the *first* film, so...)

This moratorium might rob the series of any sort of momentum or continuity, if it even had those things in the first place. It would sort of be like releasing Star Wars in 1977 and then releasing The Empire Strikes Back in 1990, with an almost entirely new cast.

Actually, your Star Wars analogy suggests a way this *could* work. There was a gap of 16 years between the original trilogy and the prequels, right? And they've already made three Narnia movies -- the only three featuring young versions of the Pevensies, as it happens -- so they could arguably look at doing another trio (or quartet) of movies that feature an all-new cast, etc. (Admittedly, they'd lose continuity with Dawn Treader's Eustace, but oh well.)

So in the book, Eustace was 10 years old in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  He's 16 in The Last Battle.  Looks like Poulter was 16 or 17 at the time of the last film.  Now he's 20.  They're going to lose him if they haven't already.

That ship has sailed. Not only is he 20, he's about six feet tall.