Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Conan the Barbarian (2011)

Link to our thread on Conan: Red Nails (2010), which had a few posts about this film.

ComingSoon.net reports that this film, which was going to be called Conan 3D at one point, is now being called Conan the Barbarian, just like the Arnold Schwarzenegger film that came out in 1982.

"I live. I love. I slay. And I am content"

Is that the new "Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentations of the women." tagline?

NBooth   

Conan the Barbarian: Eat, Prey, Love.

:P

Eep. The 1982 movie grossed $9.6 million in its opening weekend. The 2011 movie -- despite nearly three decades of inflation PLUS the 3D surcharge -- grossed about $10 million in its opening weekend. This is not an improvement.

Oh, and since there was another R-rated 3D remake of a 1980s movie this weekend, I might as well note that the 1985 version of Fright Night opened to $6.1 million while the 2011 version opened to about $8 million. So, an uptick of sorts, but not by much, and certainly nothing to talk about once inflation and 3D surcharges are taken into account.

Make of all that what you will.

Somewhere, Arnold is mumbling, "Crush their remakes, see their dollars dwindle before you, and hear the lamentations of the bankers."

SDG   
Conan the Barbarian: Eat, Prey, Love.

:P

Dang. Seeing this (again), I realize it was probably the subconscious motivation of a joke I made on Facebook about retitling the movie Live, Love, Slay: One Barbarian's Search For Contentment Across Cimmeria and Hyperboria.

Somewhere, Arnold is mumbling, "Crush their remakes, see their dollars dwindle before you, and hear the lamentations of the bankers."

Somewhere, Robert E. Howard has been shaking his head for the past 30 years.

I wish they'd let John Milius make his KING CONAN: CROWN OF IRON project, complete with Arnold as star. That'd definitely get my butt to the theater.

Mine too.

NBooth   

Sean Hood (one of the three screenwriters for Conan) answers a double-barreled question: "What's it like to have your film flop at the box office? Don't they know it's bad before it comes out?"

Unfortunately, the work I do as a script doctor is hard to defend if the movie flops. I know that those who have read my Conan shooting script agree that much of the work I did on story and character never made it to screen. I myself know that given the difficulties of rewriting a script in the middle of production, I did work that I can be proud of. But its still much like doing great work on a losing campaign. All anyone in the general public knows, all anyone in the industry remembers, is the flop. A loss is a loss.
Edited by NBooth