Name That Film

SDG

I know there are other threads with a similar premise, but I'm not sure we need a running thread for this particular topic. If anything, perhaps when titles are identified we should rename the thread to the movie title.

Yesterday on CA Live a caller was looking for the title of a movie I know I've never seen. It's supposed to be a Christmas movie about two brothers, at least one of whom is involved in a car accident. I think he is killed? And then the other brother takes up woodworking. The caller may have had a little more info but that's what I remember. Ring any bells?

Edited by SDG

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Hmmm... plugging in a couple of keywords over at IMDb doesn't seem to do too much good. I've tried "brothers" combined with "car accident", and a few titles are spit out, but nothing close to what you are describing. Heck, I was expecting the top film on that short list to be Adaptation, but even that didn't come up. I've tried plugging in "Christmas", but to no avail. Sorry. Just wanted to let you know someone is reading your post!

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

I'll look up my Videohound when I get home -- first time in years probably. But mostly just posting to assure Steve that I also did exactly what Baal_T'Shuvah did -- punch in some keywords to the IMDb and didn't get anything.

Yeah ... well ... I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there on that one.

Looks like we have a winner: The movie in question appears to be SAINT MAYBE (1998), a Hallmark Hall of Fame adaptation of a 1991 novel by Anne Tyler.

The tip came from a Catholic Answers Live listener who heard another caller ask me about the film (which is where the question comes from in the first place).

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

The movie in question appears to be SAINT MAYBE (1998), a Hallmark Hall of Fame adaptation of a 1991 novel by Anne Tyler.

No wonder none of us heard of it or could find it anywhere.

Yeah ... well ... I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there on that one.

The movie in question appears to be SAINT MAYBE (1998), a Hallmark Hall of Fame adaptation of a 1991 novel by Anne Tyler.

No wonder none of us heard of it or could find it anywhere.

Indeed!

Oh, wow. I read and liked that book years ago, and think I may have seen the TV movie. However, the description in the first post is ... odd. Doesn't the one brother raise the dead brother's kids? I don't remember anything about woodworking. Even if it's part of the story, what an odd thing to single out in describing the tale. Although that's how foggy, can't-remember-the-name-of-the-movie memories work sometimes, I suppose.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I hate to admit it...oh no I don't...but upon reading the original post, my first thought was "This sounds like a Hallmark Channel movie."

You might be surprised. A church plays a major role in the film, and while Hallmark movies almost always extol traditional values, I remember this story being more explicitly religious than its other films.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

The title was bugging you, now this is bugging me:

I know there are other threads with a similar premise, but I'm not sure we need a running thread for this particular topic. If anything, perhaps when titles are identified we should rename the thread to the movie title.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

I hate to admit it...oh no I don't...but upon reading the original post, my first thought was "This sounds like a Hallmark Channel movie."

Ditto.

Although, to be fair, didn't sound like the plot had any 8-year-olds dying from cancer.