Sign in to follow this  
Anna J

Top 100 2011: Results and Discussion

SDG wrote:

: Regarding write-ups for the new list: For the following films ... Koyaanisqatsi, Lawrence of Arabia, Fiddler on the Roof ... paging Mr. Chattaway!

Whoa. Will you believe me if I say that I had not yet seen this post (or, indeed, this entire thread) when I wrote my post in the soliciting-blurbs thread a few minutes ago?

Why would I not believe you? You are the obvious person to write these three. Lawrence is your #1 film of all time, and Koyaanisqatsi is, what, #4? As for Fiddler, I wouldn't have been able to put it in your top 20, but I knew you were a special fan.

I'm not sure how I feel about Make Way blazing right to the top. It IS great but...that high, that fast? I don't know.

It's a slightly more extreme case of A SERIOUS MAN syndrome. You get this community really excited about a film and that film will do surprisingly well. But an under-appreciated film like MAKE WAY will benefit from placing so high, so I can't say I'm complaining.

There are four Robert Bresson films in the top 100:

5 Au Hasard Balthazar (1966)

23 Diary of a Country Priest, The (Le Journal D'un Cure De Campagne)

68 Man Escaped, A ("Un condamne a mort s'est eschappe ou Le vent soufflé ou il veut") (1956)

78 Pickpocket (1959)

Whoa, so does that mean The Story of the Weeping Camel gets in after all?

I guess so.

The Albanians got screwed.

They're used to it. ;)

I can't for the life of me figure out which movie(s) you're talking about.

Lorna's Silence. Virture of the Dardennes placing too many films.

The Albanians got screwed.

They're used to it. ;)

I can't for the life of me figure out which movie(s) you're talking about.

Lorna's Silence. Virture of the Dardennes placing too many films.

Yeah, I would've preferred Lorna on the list ahead of La Promesse.

Bummed out that Red Beard and Ugetsu didn't make the cut - maybe next time.

The reason Red Beard didn't is because Kurosawa was already on the list 3 times. We kept the top three vote-getters from each director. Here are the ones that were removed, and their original places:

42 Cries and Whispers (1973)

44 Through a Glass Darkly ("Såsom i en spegel") (1961)

45 Virgin Spring , The (Jungfrukallan)

46 Sacrifice , The (Offret-Sacrificatio)

51 Fanny and Alexander ("Fanny och Alexander") (1982)

68 Lorna's Silence ("Le silence de Lorna") (2008)

84 Red Beard (1965)

99 Rosetta (1999)

100 Derzu Uzala (1975)

103 Solaris ("Solyaris") (1972)

So is it fair to say that this community thinks Bergman, Tarkovsky, the Dardennes, and Kurosawa are the greatest directors of all time?

Well, don't forget Dreyer.

Blerg! Sorry about the Bresson foulup. Our eyes were crossing by that time ;)

Yes, The Story of the Weeping Camel gets in after all. Thanks so much for catching that, Tyler.

Yes, The Story of the Weeping Camel gets in after all. Thanks so much for catching that, Tyler.

Woo hoo!

That Make Way for Tomorrow basically pole vaulted onto the list and surpassed Tokyo Story by so much is really a puzzler. It's a great film, but wow. How many of us saw it recently and immediately decided it was one of the Best Movies Ever?

That is an odd one. Some kind of Early Summer thing happened here I guess. I like the film, but am not enamored of it as something like How Green.... It just doesn't seem like we have solved our problem regarding American films of this era. If anything, we have made it more noticeable.

Can't believe The Rules of the Lame made the list. Ichththth ::inv::

I always vote low on that one.

Yeah, I would've preferred Lorna on the list ahead of La Promesse.

I think that may have to do with the role La Promesse has played in many film-watching biographies here. La Promesse was a defining A&F film for a long time. Lorna did not get the same response from A&F or the critical community in general.

Edited by M. Leary

...they've never seen The Pink Panther, have they?

Loving the new list. Looking forward to working though the ones I've missed so far.

Meanwhile... rolling ten out each week, it's another Top 100! ::w00t::

For those keeping score, two of the ten they've revealed so far were made after WWII (Tucker and The Pink Panther).

Also, do they really expect people to click through 100 different pages once their whole list is done?

Edited by Tyler

It just doesn't seem like we have solved our problem regarding American films of this era. If anything, we have made it more noticeable.

What do you mean by "this era"? Films of the 1930s? The age of Hollywood studio pictures?

I love this new list, but I noticed there are only 3 comedies on it - maybe our next Top 20 could remedy this by being a list of comedies?

I love this new list, but I noticed there are only 3 comedies on it - maybe our next Top 20 could remedy this by being a list of comedies?

Like!

It would be a good choice. I'd be really, really interested to see what our community picks, since there's a great deal of diversity in the comedy genre. I'm pulling for my favortie: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN.

I have to admit there are other topics that appeal to me, too ("Top 20 Films About Marriage," "Top 20 Noir Films," etc.).

[Grumpy Smurf]

I HATE comedies!

[/Grumpy Smurf]

Top 20 films stef hates.

::w00t::

Top 20 films stef hates.

BRAZIL,

Debatable

CHINATOWN, THE RULES OF THE GAME, THE WICKER MAN...

Yeeahh, probably would make the list

Along with

Ikiru, Notes on a Scandal, Greenberg and most likely The Killer Inside Me...

This is fun. I think I'll actually make a list like this! Just call me Armond Persona

Oh, and Kick-Ass (seen) and The Green Hornet (no need to see to hate)

I LOVE you guys!

Get. If you're not talking about me, you're not allowed on this thread.

Edited by Persona