Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler

Portlandia

26 posts in this topic

Fantastic. Although I'm curious to know how people who haven't lived in Portland (or at least the NW) will respond.

Edited by Kyle

I only had time for the first five minutes. "The Dream of the 90s" is going to be stuck in my head all day. Can't wait to see the rest.

Fantastic. Although I'm curious to know how people who haven't lived in Portland (or at least the NW) will respond.

I've lived in the Midwest my whole life, but my brother used to live in an area of Grand Rapids, MI that reminds me of the people on the show. The Wicker Park neighborhood in Chicago has a similar vibe, as well.

As a native Portlander, I think they've nailed it. I visit that world a couple of times a year.

Wow, this is funnier than anything SNL alum have done in a long time.

Edited by Overstreet

2 of my friends were extras on this show! I had no idea this was the case until i watched it.

Agreed, 100%. I really enjoyed this.

BTW, Carrie Brownstein is probably best known for the band Sleater-Kinney, which broke up a few years ago; we have a dormant thread on them here. Lately, she's been blogging for NPR's music site and appearing on some of their shows.

For sure.

I thought the show was very enjoyable, having that right tone of affectionate humor without being condescending. I have a friend of mine who moved to Portland a couple of years ago, and he has filled me in on the Portland vibe.

Next week though, they need to go to Stumptown Coffee, VooDoo Doughnut, and the Doug Fir Lounge.

Edited by Crow

2 of my friends were extras on this show! I had no idea this was the case until i watched it.

I had the same experience! The lady that introduces the publication that unravels Carrie and Fred in the "Did You Read?" skit was an old summer camp friend. And here I was already thinking I was cool 'cause I talked to Carrie Brownstein at her Wild Flag show.

The second episode isn't nearly as good as the first, but it does have Kyle MacLachlan playing the mayor of Portland.

The second episode isn't nearly as good as the first, but it does have Kyle MacLachlan playing the mayor of Portland.

Agreed. And the "Cacao" sketch was the most disturbing thing I've seen recently.

I thought the fourth episode is easily the best so far. Consistently funny skits and the return of the Mayor.

I thought the fourth episode is easily the best so far. Consistently funny skits and the return of the Mayor.

Amber Plaza (Parks and Recreation) is in it, too.

Except for the "Cacao" sketch, the show has been pretty funny thoughout. The fifth episode aired last Friday, and it was another good one. Too bad there's only six episodes planned so far (according to Wikipedia). I hope they bring it back for another season.

The fifth episode had a pretty impressive guest lineup, too:

Selma Blair, Jenny Conlee and Colin Meloy (The Decemberists), James Mercer (The Shins, Broken Bells), Corin Tucker (Sleater-Kinney), and Gust Van Sant.

I'm going to start calling the aforementioned and spoiler-texted filmmaker "

Gust Van Sant

" from now on.

As soon as I thought of this, I knew I'd find someone on Youtube who had already done it.

Modest Mouse frontman Isaac Brock, Joanna Newsom, Eddie Vedder, Johnny Marr, Annie Clark (aka St. Vincent), and Steve Jones, of the Sex Pistols