Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

A Star is Born (2012)

I am not making this up.

Clint Eastwood wiIl produce as well as direct the script by Will Fetters along with producers Billy Gerber and Jon Peters (who made the infamous 3rd version of A Star Is Born with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson). No male lead is cast yet, but the possibilities are endless. The project, which has been at WB for several years, had hoped to pair Beyoncé and Will Smith. But how about P Diddy (who's turning into a surprisingly fine actor along with Beyoncé's husband Jayz), Eddie Murphy (reteaming with Beyoncé after Dreamgirls), or any white guy imaginable though Robert Downey Jr and Jon Hamm are names that have been floating? Of course, Clint has had a huge interest in music on screen (remember him as a jazz DJ in Play Misty For Me?), directing Bird, doing all his own scores for his movies and even received an Avademy Award nomination for one of them. Then again, I'm one of thise huge fans who thinks Clint can do anything. And Beyoncé scored big at the box office in Sony/Screen Gems' Obsession. The idea is to start shooting in the Fall.
Edited by Overstreet

WB courting Tom Cruise for 'A Star is Born'

With execs buzzing about his performance as an 80s rock star in Warner Bros. and New Line's upcoming musical "Rock of Ages," Tom Cruise finds himself being courted by WB to topline Clint Eastwood's "A Star is Born" along with Beyonce. . . .

While there haven't been any negotiations, let alone a deal, the studio has been talking to Cruise to gauge his interest in the project, a prospect that Cruise didn't immediately reject, given the chance to work with Eastwood for the first time.

It's unclear whether WB would be willing to accommodate Cruise's schedule, but should he pursue the project, he'd play an over-the-hill musician who falls for a young singer who he's trying to help make a star.

Over the past year, WB has eyed Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman and Leonardo DiCaprio for the plum part.

Variety, March 9, 1:09 PST

Is Tom Cruise Heading For Another Rock Star Turn In ‘A Star Is Born?’

EXCLUSIVE: Tom Cruise is talking to Clint Eastwood about joining Beyonce in A Star Is Born, the Warner Bros remake. This comes after Cruise morphed into an Axl Rose-like 80s rock icon in Rock of Ages, so he’d be able to handle the singing part of that comes with playing an over the hill musician who helps launch the star of an ingenue he falls in love with and who watches him slide while her star soars. . . .

Deadline.com, March 9, 4:09 EST

This is a significantly worse idea now than it was in January, with the Oscar triumph of The Artist. One remake of A Star is Born per generation is enough. And the musical angle will make it seem like an opposite-sex Crazy Heart.

Edited by SDG

Beyonce is out for the lead. Eastwood wants Esperanza Spalding to replace her, "though no discussions or offers will be made until the director nails down his male lead."

And there's this:

Screenwriter Will Fetters recently revealed to us that his script for the remake was heavily inspired by Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain, so Eastwood presumably has an interesting take on his hands.

spin.gif

Whatever happened to Eastwood's project? Did it become the new Bradley Cooper film? Will Fetters has a screenwriting credit on it. Anyway, the Lady Gaga version is quite good, IMO.

I'm pretty sure this is what became of Eastwood's project - I'm hoping to check it out tonight.

Jon Peters has a producer credit on the new film, so yes, it would appear to have evolved from this Clint Eastwood project. (Bradley Cooper, of course, scored his biggest box-office hit ever by starring in Eastwood's American Sniper.) (American Sniper has since been surpassed by Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Avengers: Infinity War, but Cooper only does an animated character's voice in those films, so American Sniper remains the biggest box-office hit that showed us Cooper's face.)

I found this film pretty shallow, personally, and I thought Cooper's behaviour in the first half of the movie (which appears to cover a mere 24 hours or so) was kinda creepy in a way that the movie never really acknowledges (aside from Lady Gaga briefly, and non-seriously, telling one of Cooper's drivers that he's acting like a "stalker").

Edited by Peter T Chattaway