Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

List of B&Ws since Psycho

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi.

I'm putting a list together of black and white films worthy of a look since, OK, let's say Psycho, although when I first started making the list I was only thinking since Eraserhead. Can you think of more than the ones I've listed?

The Ones I Already Connect With:

Psycho

Closely Watched Trains

Eraserhead

The Elephant Man

Europa (Zentropa)

Epidemic

Following

Pi

13 Tzameti

Wisconsin Death Trip

Good Night, and Good Luck

One I Wish I Could Connect With:

Werckmeister Harmonies

One I haven't Seen:

My Winnipeg

Edited by Persona

The Man Who Wasn't There

Sin City

Ed Wood

Raging Bull

Edited by J.R.

Manhattan

Stardust Memories

In Cold Blood

Hud*

Seconds*

*Both featuring the great cinematography of James Wong Howe.

edit: Do they have to be completely B&W (he asks, eyeing Zentropa)? If not, then check out the documentary Visions of Light, all about cinematographers and their craft.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Red Beard

Zelig

High and Low

Bergman's faith trilogy

Edited by Andrew

Posted · Report post

Great suggestions so far, keep it up! Some of the titles I'll have to look up, as I don't even know what they are -- and that's great!

[Sin City

Do they have to be completely B&W (he asks, eyeing Zentropa)? If not, then check out the documentary Visions of Light, all about cinematographers and their craft.

They have to have pizzaz, a snap to them. Like the first five minutes of Antichrist. That's what I'm looking for. I'd forgotten about the color splashes in Zentropa (it's blood, right?), but now that you mention that, I wonder if The Element of Crime should qualify, too. It's been years since I've seen it, and I'll admit there's less pizzaz there than in Zentropa. The Element of Crime is almost like a wash out. As Prins once noted, a yellow wash out.

Rumble Fish

Kafka

Killer of Sheep

Edited by M. Leary

Posted · Report post

Battle of Algiers

Schindler's List

Down by Law

Stranger Than Paradise

Dead Man

Coffee and Cigarettes

Clerks

The Last Picture Show

Wings of Desire

Night of the Living Dead

Control

The White Ribbon

La Haine

Kes

Dr. Strangelove

The Elephant Man

Saddest Music in the World

Edited by M. Leary

Posted · Report post

Vivement dimanche! (Confidentially Yours, 1983)

The Call of Cthulhu (2005, also silent)

Posted · Report post

Awesome. Thanks for the input, I will check these out. If you think of more, let me know.

The more I think about it, the B&W films with an itty-bitty splash of color are quite appropriate for this list.

Posted · Report post

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

Young Frankenstein (1974)

Ah okay, good find MLeary, I'll stop racking my brains.

Posted · Report post

Wow. Wikipedia still fascinates me.

Posted · Report post

Yes. It amazes me that someone sat down for hours and made this list. Why? Precisely for this occasion.

Posted · Report post

I love wikipedia. A large proportion of my thesis, which I slogged long and hard doing primary research for, is on there. You just got to know what to look for. I swear, soon it will be possible to do a PhD in the University of Wiki.

Not that I tell my undergrad students that...

Posted · Report post

Yes. It amazes me that someone sat down for hours and made this list. Why? Precisely for this occasion.

Not quite. Stef wanted B&W's since Psycho (1960). The Wiki list comprises films made since the 1960s, i.e., starting in the 1970s. Thus for example the Wiki list does not include To Kill a Mockingbird (1962).

Posted · Report post

Frankenweenie (Tim Burton short)

Posted · Report post

FWIW I recall reading somewhere that 1960 was the first time that there were more colour films produced in a year than black and whites. I remember it because of Psycho.

Matt

Posted · Report post

Y'know, sometimes I'll watch contemporary films in black-and-white by turning down the color on my television set. Sometimes the experiment doesn't work; not all films are lit in a way that makes them work in black-and-white. But sometimes, it produces a startlingly different experience. There are a few films filmed in color that I personally feel are much more effective in black and white.

Posted · Report post

...There are a few films filmed in color that I personally feel are much more effective in black and white.

Such as?

...There are a few films filmed in color that I personally feel are much more effective in black and white.

Such as?

The Man Who Wasn't There. I watched a color version of this, broadcast late one night on Starz or Encore. I knew the film had been shot in color, and later processed in black & white, and that DVD's of the color version were available in Japan and some Europian markets. It was an odd viewing, to say the least.

Here's a link to some shot comparisons of the color version and B&W version.

mwwt_color_title-c.jpg

tumblr_l6wp7jv4gA1qzzh6g.jpg

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Posted · Report post

Such as?

I'm sure nobody likes this film well enough to try it out, but Joel Schumacher's THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA gets a heck of a lot better if it's watched in black-and-white.

Down by Law

Stranger Than Paradise

Dead Man

Coffee and Cigarettes

I had no idea these were all Jim Jarmusch films. I've not seen any of them. I think the only two Jarmusch I've seen are Ghost Dog and Broken Flowers. Strike that. After looking it up, I've also seen Mystery Train, but I'm certain I saw that twenty years ago.

Anyone have an opinion on these four Jarmusch black and whites? I guess I could go to the Film section and do a search on Jarmusch... I really know nothing about the man. I do remember watching the commentary, or maybe it was a "making of" on the Broken Flowers disc and thinking that he seemed "cooly" artistic. I think he's got some claim to fame though. I just can't remember what it is. Was he married to someone famous or something?

My Winnipeg

Oh, you are going to love this...

Does anyone know if this is really in black and white? Or it it sepia toned ala The Element of Crime.

And while I'm here, are any of these films really black and white, or are they all considered monochrome, and black and white is just a general way of saying that?

Edited by Persona

Posted · Report post

Anyone have an opinion on these four Jarmusch black and whites?

I own COFFEE & CIGARETTES. It's interesting. Don't know what else to say about it.

Posted · Report post

And why did the Coens shoot The Man Who Wasn't There in color only to switch it to B&W later? I remember the film -- I need to see it again, I think I'd like it more now -- but I clearly remember it was black and white.