Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anna J

Top 25 Horror Films 2011: Writers Needed

74 posts in this topic

The Sixth Sense should have been near the top of this particular list, IMO.

I don't think of it as a horror movie.

That's because, like Alien it's not.

The Sixth Sense should have been near the top of this particular list, IMO.

I don't think of it as a horror movie.

...is too

"Alien may just be the film that overhauled the old, unreconstructed horror genre and dared to put a woman centre-stage. Because make no mistake: a horror movie is what Alien is. 'It's basically a haunted house film,' explains the critic David Thomson. 'The only difference is that the old dark house just happens to be a spaceship.'" - Xan Brooks, Guardian.co.uk

"a strong case for Alien as both the greatest horror film and the greatest science-fiction film ever made." - Shawn Levy, Portland Oregonian

"I recognize how few horror movies I've seen before or since that ever manage to capture such a tangible feeling of menace ... Almost every horror film since 'Alien' has ripped it off in some way" - Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

"1979 masterpiece of gothic sci-fi horror" - Ron Stringer, L.A. Weekly

"one of the creepiest, scariest, most shocking films ever" Chris Kaltenbach, Baltimore Sun

"20th Century Fox's extremely suspenseful, space science-fiction horror film" - Tim Dirks, Filmsite.org

"At its most fundamental level, 'Alien' is a movie about things that can jump out of the dark and kill you. It shares a kinship with the shark in 'Jaws,' Michael Myers in 'Halloween,' and assorted spiders, snakes, tarantulas and stalkers. Its most obvious influence is Howard Hawks' 'The Thing' (1951)..." - Roger Ebert

"[Pauline Kael] singled out Ridley Scott's new picture Alien as an example, writing that the audience 'thought it was terrific, because at least they'd felt something: they'd been brutalized.' Most of us don't go to the movies to be brutalized, but Kael's comment gets at the mysterious appeal of horror films: Why do we subject ourselves to them? ...

"The scariest movie in history...

"The dissenting view on Alien has always been that it's just a haunted-house movie in outer space, and Scott couldn't resist a few manipulative 'boo' moments. (A ginger cat jumps out of nowhere; the alien's hand reaches from the wall to grab Ripley.) But the staying power of Alien lies in the way it dredges up primal fears." - Michael Agger, Slate.com

"an empty-headed horror movie with nothing to recommend it beyond the disco-inspired art" - Dave Kehr

Compartmentalizing must be fun, huh?

Oh, and the low placement of The Devil Rides Out is unfortunate. A Fisher would have been nice on the list.

Yes.

At least a Corman Poe film came relatively close to making the cut.

Also, I'm really surprised that The Sixth Sense placed so low. I understand that not everyone has seen The Devil Rides Out, but The Sixth Sense should have been near the top of this particular list, IMO.

Nah. THE SIXTH SENSE is lousy.

Nah. THE SIXTH SENSE is lousy.

No it isn't.

THE SIXTH SENSE is a borderline boring bit of supernatural schmaltz built around a fairly unimpressive concept. Somewhere in that film is an okay half-hour TWILIGHT ZONE episode.

Edited by Ryan H.

THE SIXTH SENSE is a borderline boring bit of supernatural schmaltz built around a fairly unimpressive concept. Somewhere in that film is an okay half-hour TWILIGHT ZONE episode.

The "Twilight Zone" rap on Shymalan is pretty well worn, but "The Sixth Sense" is beautifully filmed and acted. That's what keeps people watching the film again and again, even after they know the "twist" ending.

I was never the film's biggest fan, but I understand its appeal.

but "The Sixth Sense" is beautifully filmed and acted.

See, I don't think it's very impressive on either count. The acting is okay--Osment obviously impresses, but everybody else isn't anything to shout home about--and the direction is nothing to get excited about. In many places, the execution of these scenes is downright boring. At any rate, nothing overcomes that mawkish screenplay.

Edited by Ryan H.

It would be very easy at this point to be lazy and dig up a bunch of reviews that show you why The Sixth Sense is God's gift to mankind, but I'm not going to do that because a.) I'm not in a smart-aleckie mood today, at least not yet, b. ) You'd probably just blather on about groupthink anyway, c. ) You have your own tastes, awkward as they are, but we trust you to judge for yourself (whether you are right or wrong), and d.) Cutting and pasting is a poor man's exercise in thought process.

So I think I'm just going to leave it alone for now. :)

I would, however, think of The Sixth Sense as a great ghost story, but I don't think we could find twenty of those for a list, which is unfortunate. The idea of a well executed ghost story is great; finding an actual one is a gruelling process.

It would be very easy at this point to be lazy and dig up a bunch of reviews that show you why The Sixth Sense is God's gift to mankind, but I'm not going to do that because a.) I'm not in a smart-aleckie mood today, at least not yet, b. ) You'd probably just blather on about groupthink anyway, c. ) You have your own tastes, awkward as they are, but we trust you to judge for yourself (whether you are right or wrong), and d.) Cutting and pasting is a poor man's exercise in thought process.

Lick your wounds, Stef. I won't watch.

Lick your wounds, Stef. I won't watch.

Um, I wrote that post to Ryan. Are our panties in a bunch today?

The acting is okay--Osment obviously impresses, but everybody else isn't anything to shout home about--and the direction is nothing to get excited about.

Man, Donnie Wahlberg kills in this.

Stop fighting! Think of the children!!!! ( ;) )

If you don't cry when Marisa Tomei chokes out the question to which her mother's ghost answered "Every day," you have no soul.

It would be very easy at this point to be lazy and dig up a bunch of reviews that show you why The Sixth Sense is God's gift to mankind

And vice versa. As the Metacritic page shows, THE SIXTH SENSE received its fare share of mixed/negative reviews.

If you don't cry when Marisa Tomei chokes out the question to which her mother's ghost answered "Every day," you have no soul.

Guilty as charged.

Edited by Ryan H.

Really, doesn't film criticism require a bit of soulessness and a joy in destroying hopes and dreams? ;)

I didn't. But that's because it's poor, under-valued Toni Collette, not Marisa Tomei.

But when Toni Collette asks, yeah, it got a little dusty in the theatre.

Marisa Tomei and her mom were in The Sixth Sense? I don't remember that.

I didn't. But that's because it's poor, under-valued Toni Collette, not Marisa Tomei.

But when Toni Collette asks, yeah, it got a little dusty in the theatre.

Oh, OK. Thanks for clearing that up, Mr. Anders.

eggface.gif

What can I say. Except that I call my kids the wrong names more often than the right ones.

I gotta say, I echo Scott's lament that The Devil's Backbone didn't make it higher on the list. As far as pure ghost stories go, it's one of my favorite. (I'd argue that Curse of the Cat People should be up there too, but there's the debate whether it actually involves ghosts or not...)

I didn't really find THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE all that inspiring the one time I saw it, but I do need to give it another viewing.

I gave The Devil's Backbone a three, and The Curse of the Cat People a one. If there were negative scores for the latter, I'd have chosen that instead.

I gave The Devil's Backbone a three, and The Curse of the Cat People a one. If there were negative scores for the latter, I'd have chosen that instead.

I'm surprised you even watched Curse of the Cat People, with your dislike of Cat People. You must love pain (well, given that you're a von Trier fan....) ;)

Edited by Jason Panella

I'm surprised you even watched Curse of the Cat People, with your dislike of Cat People. You must love pain (well, given that you're a von Trier fan....)

They were both on the same disc, and I'm a completist -- when I have the time to be. Right now I do, and I am trying to figure out a way to get disc number two of the Frankenstein five movie DVD from Netflix, which they apparently do not have.

I have to be honest that I would normally give TCotCP a 2/5, but for the purposes of our horror list, I gave it a one.