Sign in to follow this  
Anna J

Top 25 Horror Films 2011: Results and Discussion

Image, a journal of literature and the arts, proudly presents the first-ever themed Top 25 List, chosen to accompany the Top 100 List, after discussion and debate within the Arts & Faith online community. This year's pick was Horror films, a list spanning 90 years, from 1920's The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari to 2010's Let Me In.

Oh! I didn't realize we were only rolling out Top 25 lists at a rate of one a year! I sort of thought we'd be doing them more frequently ... quarterly, maybe.

I second this notion. There are so many possibilities, we could probably still do 4 a year for the next 10 years before even going back to redo any of them.

I still want to do the Best Movies with Marionettes.

Are y'all keen on doing more?

Well, Persiflage and I are keen. Anyone else?

I am. But, two things:

1. We do the easy part, the fun part, Anna and the folks at IMAGE do the hard part. It's something to keep in mind.

2. We need to create a separate thread for this, as Darryl always does such a nice job with these updates.

Edited by Persona

Sorry for not writing the intro -- it was a work-related situation that prevented me from doing so. But I thought Overstreet did a great job with his intro so I can't say I feel that bad.

Thanks, Scott. I hoped I'd represent the group well, even though I'm not as well-versed as some in the genre. I'm glad you participated in the voting and discussion.

Are y'all keen on doing more?

Well, Persiflage and I are keen. Anyone else?

I am. But, two things:

1. We do the easy part, the fun part, Anna and the folks at IMAGE do the hard part. It's something to keep in mind.

Yes, I did think of that, but thanks for saying it.

2. We need to create a separate thread for this, as Darryl always does such a nice job with these updates.

Moved back into Top 25 Horror Films discussion, since that's where this got started.

Holy smokes, can't keep track of what thread I'm in.

This comment was just posted to my introduction:

As for the list, it's an interesting and thoughtful one. As far as I can tell, however, it puts science in the dock several times, yet nowhere warns of the perils of certainty which religion all too often conveys. Have you seen "The Mist", Jeff? (If you do, be sure to watch the director-endorsed black-and-white dvd version.) It's a splendid parable that acknowledges the destructive potential of unchecked inquiry while at the same time vividly warning of the horror that a willful abandonment of rationality in favor of superstition can produce. And, it has some *really* creepy crawlies!

Also, I'd encourage anybody here who is interested to chime in and respond to this comment... but on the Image blog, please, so that the person who wrote it will see the replies:

"If there is no God, and we’re living in a big game called 'Survival of the Fittest...' "

Jeffrey, this makes it sound as if you believe that morality cannot exist outside of religion.

Is this your belief?

I responded with some discomfort, as it would take a lot of time to respond sufficiently to such a question:

Lydia,

While I appreciate your question, I would have to write an essay in response to it, and this week I just don't have the time. To respond with generalizations will be insufficient and an invitation to misunderstandings.

So I will leave it at this one hint at my way of thinking: My understanding of morality stems from my faith in a God of love and grace. If I did not believe in him, I would not know what to identify as any authoritative source of truth. Our understanding of science is helpful, but hardly authoritative, and is constantly being revised. Each individual's discernment is fractured and untrustworthy. Without the revelation of God in Christ - the Word made flesh - I have not seen any other trustworhty basis for sound moral understanding. It would be just one man's morality versus another, and no one would have any basis for celebrating one over another.

I wish I had time for more, but I have other assignments at this time.

I know there are people more eloquent than me on subjects such as this, though, and I'd love to see some responses to it. Any takers?

And what books would you recommend most to someone who has this question at the front of her mind?

Edited by Overstreet

I'm confused as to where I should post this comment, so please feel free to move it if needed. My deep thoughts on the frequency of our mini-lists: I'd vote for twice a year, because:

- lists are fun to do, and the discussion around the lists has been quite stimulating; however,

- too frequent listmaking could become wearisome and stifle the contemplation and viewing time needed to make quality lists, and

- I worry that more frequent lists could make it look to the rest of the world like it's our gimmick, with less attention paid to each subsequent list

I'll respond to Gaith.

When you do, remember to post it as a "Reply" to Gaith, not just as another comment, or it will float free and people might not know what you're responding to.

I'll respond to Gaith.

When you do, remember to post it as a "Reply" to Gaith, not just as another comment, or it will float free and people might not know what you're responding to.

I did. It's still in moderation, though.

kinda iffy on Repulsion, but whatever. The Top Ten looks stellar.

I think it is a great list, much better than I expected. However, you repulse me with your comment about Repulsion. This film belongs on one of these lists and the Top 25 Horror Film list can makes sense. Although, I do think it is a film more focused on isolation, community, identity, and social interaction. "But whatever," I am glad it made the list.

I think it is a great list, much better than I expected. However, you repulse me with your comment about Repulsion. This film belongs on one of these lists and the Top 25 Horror Film list can makes sense. Although, I do think it is a film more focused on isolation, community, identity, and social interaction. "But whatever," I am glad it made the list.

Aside from it being a total suckfest, I'm glad too.

Aside from it being a total suckfest, I'm glad too.

Oh man, your comment is a suckfest ;).

I recently watched Repulsion and Rosemary's Baby. I liked them both, but I would choose Rosemary's Baby as the superior film.

It occurred to me only yesterday that now would've been a great time to promote our Horror list again. It seemed to get a bit lost in the shuffle during the Top 100 publicity push. What better time of the year to pump up the press for our list of top horror films?

Very good idea, Christian. I'll highlight it in a few places right away.