Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

civility

Ambler, I don't know whether you think it's funny to pretend to misunderstand Persona and put words in his mouth or if you're really unable to read; both conditions are quite common as far as I can tell. Either way, for the record, you're a jerk. No hard feelings and I hope you find someplace more congenial to your sniper style of discourse. Cheers.

Ambler, when Andrew began this thread I must admit I didn't think it was about you. Or, at least, not just about you. There were probably several places where we've all slipped a bit lately, and what he posted was a good reminder for all. But I think some of it has become about you. I think you've made some of it about you.

Here is what I know of you. You introduced yourself as a person who was here because he'd been kicked off some other film board somewhere else. One of your first comments I remember was about pubic hair that you were glad some certain actress had. Apparently the merkin comments saved you at that point. In the book section, you were wanting to read a book that you hoped was as offensive as you'd heard. It made me think that perhaps offensive people liked offensive things. Most of your appearances have been in putting things down, or even putting other people down. I admired Ryan quite a bit at the restraint he's shown you so far. Then you barged into Antichrist just tonight with nothing of value to say about the film, but called other posters "self-righteous" in their comments. Wow. Self-righteous? You've done nothing here but fit the definition so far.

You have shared very little. The times you've mentioned an actor you've enjoyed, or a book you liked have been one or two sentence phrases here or there. Everything else is like a giant spew of negativity.

Why not find a film you love and talk about it? Why not try to share a joy you've found somewhere? If I'm to take anything someone says seriously, it's not just going to be from someone that barges into a room with a weight of negativity on their shoulders.

You seem to read and see a lot of deep art that I might be introduced to, and even appreciate, but why would I care with what you've offered so far?

If you want to share with this community, I think we might be interested. But the name-calling and put-downs from the get-go have been a real turn-off to me personally.

Lots of misconceptions and misinformation in your post but none is worth arguing about as I suspect much of your antipathy to me is down to a simple difference in cultures. I'm hardly the first to observe that England and America are divided by a common language yet it's a shame about your humour bypass. Then again, the idea that I require your approval or am here for your education is amusing. As for pubic hair, it's interesting that it disturbs you. Oddly enough, it's its absence that tends to disturb me. No doubt you are a follower of Ruskin.

I will grant that you are correct in one respect, however: I have no intention of 'sharing', as you put it, with a bunch of strangers: emotional incontinence is one social inadequacy I'd prefer not to develop. I came here to discuss the arts not my latest crisis of faith, divorce or other disappointment. Unfortunately, I see you are incapable of separating the personal from the philosophical so I must find another land. Perhaps I'll adopt 'Persona non grata' as my next nom de plume. wink.gif

It's very tempting to reply to this in an uncivil manner, but I hope and assume that Stef and the other folks around here won't take such a verbal assault seriously.

I'm sorry Ambler couldn't stick around to find out that our community is more than 'a bunch of strangers' discussing the arts, but that's his loss.

Edited by Andrew

Ambler,

This community, by and large, is shaped by traditions of faith, traditions which hold generosity, charity, and humility as essential, foundational virtues. Thus, this community works towards an ideal of mutual edification. As much as you sneer at the idea, we do come together here to learn from one another, to participate in an ongoing conversation about the relationship between faith and the arts, a conversation we hope will be constructive and enriching.

But it would seem that this is not the kind of conversation you seek. There are plenty of places online where more combative approaches to discourse are preferred, so I doubt you'll have trouble finding a new stomping ground.

One of my strategies for civility: I voice everyone's posts in my head according to their avatar.

Works like a charm.

Ha! I've often wondered how our avatars shade our perceptions of one another.

One of my strategies for civility: I voice everyone's posts in my head according to their avatar.

Works like a charm.

It must take you forever to read my posts if you're voicing them at the rate that the Bear Man speaks. Unless, of course, you're skipping my posts altogether. :unsure:

Ha! I've often wondered how our avatars shade our perceptions of one another.

To this day, I truly believe that this is Stef. It helps that I have never seen the film.

eraserhead.jpg

On an unrelated note, there is an excellent chance that after a screening tonight I'll be changing my avatar.

SDG wrote:

: To this day, I truly believe that this is Stef. It helps that I have never seen the film.

Likewise.

The timing of this mention is pretty funny. Yesterday I wrote something similar on Jason Panella's Facebook page; it had to do with always seeing Russ as Joan of Arc.

I've actually been hoping for many years that people would hear Faust when they heard my voice, or at least the voice of an old man.

If we were to take the idea of picturing a speaking avatar one step further, Leary's new water skiing person would be hilarious. That person is always screaming at the people in the boat. :) (I have no idea what his new avatar is.)

Oh, and SDG: You need to see Eraserhead, and then read my recent notes, either here or at the blog. I can't wait for some kind of reaction to my thoughts. (I guess it is because I know I'm right on this one.) :)

Does this thread really have to disappear? I'm quite fond of it.

Edited by Persona

Stef, I hope this is what you're looking for: Each and every time I see your name I think both of Lynch and Murnau.

That's D.W. Murnau, but still...

And look closer at Leary's "water-skiing guy." Note the leather jacket paired incongruously with the cutoffs. That's no avatar. It's a semiotic phenomenon.

Is that... The Fonz? Get. Out.

You rechanged your avatar for me! You rule.

I'm staying Faust. I've built an entire blog around my avatar. No more changes.

Russ, that's awesome. You've always been Falconetti to me too.

And Peter is Peter O'Toole in a turban.

Russ, that's awesome. You've always been Falconetti to me too.

And Peter is Peter O'Toole in a turban.

Lately I have enjoyed hearing his posts in the voice of a Victorian lady.

I can only imagine what you must think I sound like.

I like to think my avatar gives me a certain gravitas that my actual voice distinctly lacks. Or I can just go back to being Hobbes from Calvin and Hobbes.

Oddly, I still picture Russ as a voice from the void (the old unregistered Russ, at least).

I always feel like I get attached to mrmando's various avatars, and then he changes them.

Still, I wonder what people think when they see my avatar. I avoid my face for a reason.

Is it because you look like the toad in Toad the Wet Sprocket?

Boooooooooooooo.

Works like a charm.

That's kind of what I was going for when I picked mine, with the old Politics Forum in mind. As well, it is still one of my favorite Micheal Caine roles.

Rich, I don't even think of your avatar as Michael Caine. As far as I'm concerned, it's you.

And to me, Peter is the mannequin from DA's Doppelganger.

I always feel like I get attached to mrmando's various avatars, and then he changes them.

All my avatars have something in common, aside from being my avatars, of course. I think only Jeffrey knows what it is.

I haven't changed Orozco for a while ... he actually does look a little bit like me.

Rich, I don't even think of your avatar as Michael Caine. As far as I'm concerned, it's you.

Agreed. Rich, you fit in the same place in my mind as Russ's Joan, and apparently my old Henry.

What's sad is that I've met both of you personally, but my mind still sees you as an avatar.