Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

civility

Persona wrote:

: Is that... The Fonz? Get. Out.

Oh, but of course. It's the famous "jumping the shark" moment, isn't it?

SDG wrote:

: And Peter is Peter O'Toole in a turban.

Except I don't think I have ever used an image of Peter O'Toole as my avatar. Alfred E. Newman in a Peter O'Toole-style turban, yes. But Peter O'Toole, no.

I was late getting to Doug Cummings's seminar at Cornerstone in 2004. I go into the darkened barn and look for a place to sit. I'd never seen a photo of Stef Loy in my life. Among the thirty or forty people there I saw a guy in a black t-shirt sitting near the front towards the aisle and said, "That's Stef" and sat down next to him.

Except I don't think I have ever used an image of Peter O'Toole as my avatar. Alfred E. Newman in a Peter O'Toole-style turban, yes. But Peter O'Toole, no.

I could have sworn you used both ... but I know better than to contradict you on a point like that. :)

I could have sworn you used both ... but I know better than to contradict you on a point like that. :)

Surely it's a burnoose, not a turban.

See, Peter can be contradicted. You just have to know how. ;)

Stef Loy was at Cornerstone 2004? How come I don't remember meeting him there? Was he in that A&F group picture that we all took?

Yep, I'm in it, at least if it's the one I'm thinking of. It was on the Flickerings page for a while.

I can't believe you don't remember me being there! I was one of the first to greet you. As I remember, you got there a bit later than everyone else. Didn't see much of you though, you were more in the -- what was it called, IMAGINARIUM? tent. I introduced two films at Flickerings, but the only one I remember is Bus 174.

I thought your avatar was Claude Rains. Or is it Kevin Bacon? No, it's definitely Daniel Radcliffe...

Clearly I need to get an avatar.

I'm low on time at the moment, but my suggestion for you would be along these lines, because your name has been your avatar in my head for quite some time:

musicman_l.jpg

Not the Deb part, I'm sure you get the idea...

Of course, I look exactly like my avatar. For a while, when the board system gave me a subtitle that included "Hungarian," I considered going with Eva Gabor, but that just seemed silly.

Edited by BethR

BJ, are you supposed to be down here or did you somehow get lost?

mrmando wrote:

: Surely it's a burnoose, not a turban.

: See, Peter can be contradicted. You just have to know how. ;)

Ah, but it was SDG who introduced the word "turban" in the first place, and I just went with it for the sake of the exchange, rather than quibble over terminology. So SDG *could* have contradicted me, but in doing so, he would have contradicted *himself*!

Persona wrote:

: I can't believe you don't remember me being there! I was one of the first to greet you.

Oh, man, I do apologize. I'm beginning to think I might remember this, now ... except I'm usually better with faces than names, and I'm still not getting a visual. (I've still got that Eraserhead dude on the brain.) Which is to say, I think I have a memory ABOUT you being there but not a memory OF you being there.

: As I remember, you got there a bit later than everyone else. Didn't see much of you though, you were more in the -- what was it called, IMAGINARIUM? tent. I introduced two films at Flickerings, but the only one I remember is Bus 174.

Yeah, I did a three-part lecture series at the Imaginarium tent on "memory at the movies" (ironic, perhaps, in light of the memory lapse we're discussing here), though I also introduced Jesus of Montreal, and led a post-screening discussion of that film, as part of that year's series on Jesus movies.

Clearly I need to get an avatar.

I'm low on time at the moment, but my suggestion for you would be along these lines, because your name has been your avatar in my head for quite some time:

musicman_l.jpg

Not the Deb part, I'm sure you get the idea...

I've always thought of myself of more the Hepburn type

harwood_hepburn.jpg

: Surely it's a burnoose, not a turban.

: See, Peter can be contradicted. You just have to know how. ;)

Ah, but it was SDG who introduced the word "turban" in the first place, and I just went with it for the sake of the exchange, rather than quibble over terminology. So SDG *could* have contradicted me, but in doing so, he would have contradicted *himself*!

Peter knows very well that I'm quite willing to contradict him. That's why I said "on a point like that." :)

I've always thought of myself of more the Hepburn type

Yep, that works.