Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Josh Hurst

Radiohead - The King of Limbs

220 posts in this topic

For the record, I totally scooped Pitchfork on this.

I assume the one-two punch of Arcade Fire's Grammy, then a new Radiohead album announcement, knocked them flat for a while.

Oh. my.

It's like, the best day of my life.

Top 100 goes live, Arcade Fire wins the grammy (whhoo-wat?!), and Radiohead releases a new album?!

Did Jesus come back real silent-like, cuz it suddenly feels like everything's been reconciled.

Remember the good old days when you could remember the titles of the songs? Like "Creep" or "Anyone Can Play Guitar," "The Bends" or "My Iron Lung"? Heck, I could even remember the title to "Fake Plastic Trees" back then.

Not that it matters, I guess, because I happen to be THEIR BIGGEST FAN, but I haven't remembered a title in years, and certainly won't remember any of these. I'll be all like "Oh yeah! Number six just ROX, duders!"

I saw some leaks on this news over the weekend and then it was pointed to as hoax. And now this! I'm excited.

A little surprised by the cover art (if that indeed is the official version) which seems very unlike radiohead and more like something from a prog-metal band. That alone made me think at first glance that this was another hoax.

I was skeptical at first, but NME and Pitchfork are both reporting it, and it's up on their official site, so I'm convinced at this point.

As for the cover art... yeah, looks like a proggy/Lord of the Rings kind of thing. Here's hoping the music is as out-there and surprising as the cover. But, um, probably not Tolkien-themed prog rock. :)

My wife will be very excited. She loves Radiohead.

Me? I'm not a Radiohead die hard. I've come to appreciate them, though. It took me a while to get past Yorke's voice, which I find pretty irritatingly whiny (he's better on their earlier albums). And I don't really dig "experimental" Radiohead, either; I can't stand KID A (I know, I know). It's their earlier work that I dig the most. As far as THE KING OF LIMBS goes, ddds are I'll like a few songs and be neither here nor there on the rest of it.

That said, I'm pretty enthusiastic about the upcoming release of Greenwood's score for NORWEGIAN WOOD. What I've heard from it has been absolutely beautiful.

As for the cover art... yeah, looks like a proggy/Lord of the Rings kind of thing. Here's hoping the music is as out-there and surprising as the cover. But, um, probably not Tolkien-themed prog rock. :)

I'll make some early predictions: More "House of Cards" and "Nude" than "Body Snatchers"... Also, will feature some of the most self-revealing and straightforward Yorke lyrics to date... and a pair of tracks that cross the 5-minute mark. Dreamy and dark, and far from roiling.

Not gonna lie, Greg... really hope you're wrong about just about all of that. :)

Not gonna lie, Greg... really hope you're wrong about just about all of that. :)

Heh. Me too actually. Although, the prospect of longer, more experimental tracks would be pretty exciting.

Those aren't really supposed to be the song titles, are they? I sorta assumed it was just weird Thom Yorke gobbledygook...

The artwork is pretty horrid.

Don't mind the song titles so much. At this point, aren't titles like those kind of expected?

Don't you love how they have the audacity to announce this the morning after the Grammys, which means that by the end of the day the Grammy news will be buried on a lot of music sites by these details? They are still the biggest rock band in the world.

Ed O'Brien posted this to the Radiohead website... and then it mysteriously vanished! Looks like a tracklisting to me, though!

1. mkIII

2. super collider

3. give up the ghost

4. clipsed

5. the present tense

6. the daily mail

7. i froze up

8. fishes, ever weirder species

9. big boots to fill

10. true love waits

11. how well it happens

Edited by Josh Hurst

Ed O'Brien posted this to the Radiohead website... and then it mysteriously vanished! Looks like a tracklisting to me, though!

1. mkIII

2. super collider

3. give up the ghost

4. clipsed

5. the present tense

6. the daily mail

7. i froze up

8. fishes, ever weirder species

9. big boots to fill

10. true love waits

11. how well it happens

They're finally getting around to releasing a proper studio version of True Love Waits, huh? That song has been knocking around since before OK Computer came out.

They're finally getting around to releasing a proper studio version of True Love Waits, huh? That song has been knocking around since before OK Computer came out.

I didn't know Radiohead was into evangelical abstinence programs.

Yeah, that's what I said. It's a good tune, too; I'm wondering if the new version will sound anything like the old one.

I believe the song title was inspired by the movement, though it takes the metaphor in a different direction.

Edited by Joel

I believe the song title was inspired by the movement, though it takes the metaphor in a different direction.

It's also the title song of Christopher O'Riley's nothin'-but-schmaltzy-Radiohead-covers album; fern bar music for the hip and/or paranoid. As far as I know, this has never appeared on a Radiohead release outside of the 2001 live album I Might Be Wrong. It's pretty spectacular in that version, and I can't wait to hear what the band does with it in the studio.

The above tracklisting may not be accurate.

According to the band's Japanese site, the album has eight songs.

Wouldn't mind if the aforementioned Track #5 is indeed on the record:

That said, I'm pretty enthusiastic about the upcoming release of Greenwood's score for NORWEGIAN WOOD. What I've heard from it has been absolutely beautiful.

That it is.

Anyway, looking forward to Saturday, which is coincidentally the beginning of our mid-term break too!

You saw, I assume, that he's also doing the score for Lynne Ramsay's next film?