• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New track on the 'From the Basement' session:

From the basement

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

I wish more tunes of this caliber had actually ended up on TKol. I like this!

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Radiohead is playing a "secret" set at Glastonbury even as I type this; evidently, they're doing King of Limbs in full. Neil McCormick is tweeting live from the show, and he indicates that the material is not going over well with fans-- that in fact, a lot of folks are leaving Radiohead's set and heading over to see Morrisey. Ouch.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Fans aren't satisfied? Well, I'm sure it's because the music sucks then.

Regardless of the quality of the music itself, I do think it's fair to say that those songs probably aren't great choices for a festival setting.

That was my thought, too. The music is fine, but it's subtle, and there aren't many dynamic variations. I know it's the latest album, but it's not a good choice for a crowd of 100,000.

Given that choice at a fest, I'd go see Morrissey, too. Dude is a showman.

And showmanship is not really Radiohead's forte-- at least not when I saw them on the Hail to the Thief tour, though I suppose things could be different now. To paraphrase the advice Oasis once gave them: At a place like Glastonbury, they really just need to shut up and play "Creep."

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Fans aren't satisfied? Well, I'm sure it's because the music sucks then.

Ideally, I would want a varied setlist, personally, but I would still stay (besides, they are already planning on running through the new album on the Basement series). I might encourage the others to leave, though. Better view for me!

And showmanship is not really Radiohead's forte-- at least not when I saw them on the Hail to the Thief tour, though I suppose things could be different now. To paraphrase the advice Oasis once gave them: At a place like Glastonbury, they really just need to shut up and play "Creep ."

Although, their 2003 set at Glastonbury was pretty spectacular. Wayne Coyne once described it as the best Radiohead show he'd seen and the audience was on fire. It showcased some fetching versions of the Hail tunes and an inspired Fake Plastic Trees for the ages. The latter is well worth watching on YouTube.

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

I'm getting that they opened with "Lotus Flower", which would preclude a straight-forward TKOL run-through.

The only time I saw them was a rather long time ago (2001). I had to leave a couple songs early, but it was quite the show. No "Creep", and I'm not complaining.

Edited by bloop

And showmanship is not really Radiohead's forte-- at least not when I saw them on the Hail to the Thief tour, though I suppose things could be different now. To paraphrase the advice Oasis once gave them: At a place like Glastonbury, they really just need to shut up and play "Creep ."

Although, their 2003 set at Glastonbury was pretty spectacular. Wayne Coyne once described it as the best Radiohead show he'd seen and the audience was on fire. It showcased some fetching versions of the Hail tunes and an inspired Fake Plastic Trees for the ages. The latter is well worth watching on YouTube.

I saw them just a couple weeks after that, actually, and will happily agree with your assessment of the "Fake Plastic Trees" they were doing at the time.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

The setlist, according to atease people:

01 Lotus Flower

02 15 Step

03 Good Morning Mr. Magpie

04 Little By Little

05 All I Need

06 Separator

07 Give Up The Ghost

08 Arpeggi

09 Staircase

10 I Might Be Wrong

11 Bloom

12 Reckoner

13 Daily Mail

14 Street Spirit

I'm hoping U2's set will at least be broadcast - a bit disappointing that this one wasn't (and I think Morrissey's channel was unavailable stateside).