Sign in to follow this  
Josh Hurst

Booker T and the Roots - The Road from Memphis

Guest Thom Jurek

I won;t say too much about this since I'm reviewing it. I will say I've heard it three or four times now and it's exactly what you'd expect from a recording like this.

I won;t say too much about this since I'm reviewing it. I will say I've heard it three or four times now and it's exactly what you'd expect from a recording like this.

That sounds good... I think!

As far as expectations go, I am more interested in what The Roots are going to do on this one. Booker T. has got nothing to prove, and, honestly, I'm not sure if he's even capable of a misstep at this point in his career. The Roots have never really been heard in an instrumental setting like this one, though, so that's what could make it or break it for me.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Guest Thom Jurek

That sounds good... I think!

As far as expectations go, I am more interested in what The Roots are going to do on this one. Booker T. has got nothing to prove, and, honestly, I'm not sure if he's even capable of a misstep at this point in his career. The Roots have never really been heard in an instrumental setting like this one, though, so that's what could make it or break it for me.

?uestlove has if you've heard the Philadelphia Experiment he played on with Uri Caine and Christian McBride, but let's just say that Donald "Duck" Dunn's bass and Steve Cropper's guitar shoes are mighty big to fill. That said, this isn't an MGs type of record--all that much anyway--they are going for something different. What is interesting to me is how much Booker T has been listening to both Jimmy Smith's and J Big John Patton's Blue Note records lately. There is a lot more jazz in his playing on this one.

Pitchfork posts another song from the album. I am more excited about this one than the Lauryn Hill cover, though it's initially a little disorienting to hear the National guy singing in this context. (Sharon Jones fits in a little better!)

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

I've had a chance to hear this now, and yeah, I think it's really killer. The Roots are wonderfully restrained here and turn in some really fine work-- ?uesto, in particular, lays down some tremendous grooves-- but the focus is on Booker T., as it should be. And Thom, I think I hear what you were saying about his playing here; there's a looser quality to it than usual, and it makes this one more of a pleasure-- to my ears, anyway-- than the album he made with the Drive-by Truckers a couple years back (as good as that was). The version of "Crazy" here is pretty cool, but what gets me the most, I think, is what a great soul singer Yim Yames is turning into. I'm becoming a lot more interested in his involvement with projects like this than I am with My Morning Jacket.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Thanks for the stream link. A quick listen as I unpack boxes from yesterdays move and my initial impression is that this sounds vibrant. I am a pretty big fan of the Roots, I really like the pulse that ?uestlove puts on this record. I've been on a Jimmy Smith kick of late and this fits in nicely. Lou Reed saying "flava" makes me laugh so hard.....if they had Little Jimmy Scott jump out with some flavor the Bronx would be a perfect track.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Plato