Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Top 25: Choosing the second list's theme

110 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

This is quote-worthy elegant. But then you had to go and ruin everything by suggesting that Black Narcissus, and maybe Magnolia, should be booted off the list!

To come to his defense, SDG hasn't seen MAGNOLIA. It was I, who have seen it many, many times, who suggested MAGNOLIA should be given the boot.

Thanks, Ryan. FWIW, Darren H agrees with you.

And as for Black Narcissus, Christian, I only said it because I hate that movie. :)

I realize such a list might be duplicative -- those filmmakers are already represented in our Top 100, multiple times, and the smaller lists are there for diversity. I do like the genre thing. Just thinking out loud...

You present the big counter-argument to a Top 25 Directors list right there.

Besides, a big selling point on the Top 25 lists is that it will push our community to grow as we explore certain cinematic corners/subjects in-depth. I'm not sure a Top 25 Directors list would push us anywhere.

Agreed. Let's talk genres for our next Top 25.

Posted · Report post

Best Christian Movies.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I won't dismiss MAGNOLIA wholesale, but yeah, I'll agree with Darren that on more recent viewings, its weaknesses have stood out to me.

Agreed. Let's talk genres for our next Top 25.

I'm pulling for a sci-fi or noir list.

Edited by Ryan H.

Posted · Report post

Second.

Posted · Report post

Comedies.

Second.

Comedies.

Actually, let's not do noir. We just did horror. Either sci-fi or comedies would be a better follow-up, and comedy probably more than sci-fi, which can get kind of horror-y and noirish too. So now I'm leaning toward comedies.

Edited by SDG

Posted · Report post

sci-fi noir comedies.

Posted · Report post

Second.

Comedies.

Actually, let's not do noir. We just did horror. Either sci-fi or comedies would be a better follow-up, and comedy probably more than sci-fi, which can get kind of horror-y and noirish too. So now I'm leaning toward comedies.

For the record, that wasn't sarcasm. Willing to be stretched, I'm in it to win it, baby.

Posted · Report post

Getting back to the topic of what list we might produce next...

We keep saying we'd like to have more women involved at A&F.

We might help matters if we start nominations for either a "Top 25 Romantic Comedies" list a "Top 25 Period-Piece Romances" list.

:hides:

Posted · Report post

We might help matters if we start nominations for either a "Top 25 Romantic Comedies" list a "Top 25 Period-Piece Romances" list.

THAT'S SEXIST!

[When can I open nominations??]

Hey, you could combine the two themes and get "Top 10 Colin Firth Movies."

Posted · Report post

I ALMOST SAID THAT!

But I thought I had better quit while I was ahead.

Or before you came to chop off my head.

Posted · Report post

I ALMOST SAID THAT!

But I thought I had better quit while I was ahead.

Or before you came to chop off my head.

Ha!

Posted · Report post

THAT'S SEXIST!

Anna, you're the Board Empress, you can do whatever you want, right? :P

Re: Colin Firth, would the BBC Pride and Prejudice count? *ducks*

THAT'S SEXIST!

It is kind of sexist. Although, when I first read it I thought it said, "The Sexyist!," which may be even more sexist.

If we are serious about a more female inclusion or a more feminist approach then I suggest a Top 25 Women Director's List.

BTW--I am a sap for romantic comedies.

Edited by Thom

Posted · Report post

If we as a community don't take the time to write up solid defenses of our choices, then it'll be one more traffic-generating list, and the Internet is already drowning in those.

Absolutely.

Alright, that Top 100 Results thread has so many different discussions in it right now, I'm having a hard time following the thread about selecting the next Top 25.

My first preference when it comes to the next Top 25 list would be starting it, but giving it a little more time for nominations, defense of nominations, and then voting. I understand that we rushed the Horror list a little for marketing reasons, we wanted it finished at a certain time. I still really like the end product and the write-ups are fun to read, but I think it might be just leaning a little bit more in the direction of an AFI list (even in my own write-ups I was tempted to sum up the film for its historical greatness rather than it's interaction with Christianity). The short 3-sentence blurbs are fine, but let's just work harder on the next one because we can.

So, if we, for example, next do a list of A&F Top 25 Comedies, let's take a little more time with it and require nominators to explain why their nominations aren't just favorites, but actually belong on a list created by a community interested in exploring specific themes.

So, if we, for example, next do a list of A&F Top 25 Comedies, let's take a little more time with it and require nominators to explain why their nominations aren't just favorites, but actually belong on a list created by a community interested in exploring specific themes.

Second.

And I'd like to try to refocus the discussion around what those themes are. I absolutely appreciate the idea that excellence is inherently redemptive, etc., but I think there's another side to it. I mean, art is arguably inherently spiritual, but there's a reason we call ourselves Arts & Faith and not just Arts. So I'd like to work on reclaiming or rearticulating the distinctiveness of our charter and our lists.

I will have more to say about this as time permits.

Edited by SDG

Posted · Report post

Being super-early and well prepared is a great idea. I would also suggest that, aside from the thread where films are nominated, that we also revive old threads or create new ones on the regular "Films" board during the nomination process. This would keep things better organized if we could at least TRY to stick to it.

Posted · Report post

And I'd like to try to refocus the discussion around what those themes are. I absolutely appreciate the idea that excellence is inherently redemptive, etc., but I think there's another side to it. I mean, art is arguably inherently spiritual, but there's a reason we call ourselves Arts & Faith and not just Arts. So I'd like to work on reclaiming or rearticulating the distinctiveness of our charter and our lists.

Second this, and I look forward to hearing you say more.

Posted · Report post

I'd like to try to refocus the discussion around what those themes are. I absolutely appreciate the idea that excellence is inherently redemptive, etc., but I think there's another side to it. I mean, art is arguably inherently spiritual, but there's a reason we call ourselves Arts & Faith and not just Arts. So I'd like to work on reclaiming or rearticulating the distinctiveness of our charter and our lists.

I will have more to say about this as time permits.

When you do, it's a topic deserving its own thread.

As one of the newer active participants over just the last couple years, I will say that it was Arts and Faith's desire to interact with Christianity that attracted me here in the first place. I get the impression that the majority of participants here agree with the sentiments you express here, and that you seemed to de-emphasize just a little bit in your recent Top 100 introduction, at least compared to Jeffrey's old introduction. Applying an inherently Christian understanding to the Arts and exploring what artists best teach and explore their Christianity through their Arts, in my opinion, is more Biblical than forcing the Arts to just be used as another evangelistic tool. I'd also like to take this further, but wrong thread.

I'll also vote for Comedies for our next Top 25.

Posted · Report post

A few people have made good points that we should create a new thread for discussing the next Top 25 list, date TBD.

I've tried to split off the most recent posts about the Top 25 from our other discussions, and put them in this thread. It's a little confusing, but at least we have most of the suggestions congregated here, and we're not talking about Top 25 in three different threads. PM me if you'd rather I put one of your posts back in the thread it came from.

I'm not going to do a poll this time, not unless we have a big rivalry.

Thanks!

P.S. Does anybody know if there's a way to retro-date my post so it appears at the top of the thread? I should know this, but sometimes I find myself lacking in knowledge of the most basic board functions! Thanks for your patience ;)

Posted · Report post

1980s teen comedies is pretty much the only movie genre that people like, right? No? Just me?

If I were involved, actually, I would vote for documentaries.

Posted · Report post

• SciFi
  • Russian
  • Japanese
  • B&W
  • Film Noir
  • Based on literature (e.g. top film adaptations)
  • Musicals

Posted · Report post

I'm on board with the Top 25 list in question being comedies - a criminally under-considered genre, in my opinion.(And I write that as a pretty big sci-fi fan.)

Posted · Report post

I would honestly love to do a comedy or romantic comedy list. And a noir list (classic and/or neo-), but I agree that it's too soon.

How about westerns?

Posted · Report post

I'm on board for comedies or romantic comedies.

I think the latter might be difficult to define. Would we say, "Comedies in which the primary focus is a romantic relationship?" Or would we open it to comedies in which romance is an important factor but not necessarily the primary subject?

Here's are some potentially divisive examples: Is Raising Arizona a romantic comedy? Is Moulin Rouge? Is Harold and Maude? Is The Thin Man?