Sign in to follow this  
SDG

Top 25: Choosing the second list's theme

"Comedies" already lends itself to including a few "romantic comedies," I don't think that can be avoided.

I'm on board for comedies or romantic comedies.

I think the latter might be difficult to define. Would we say, "Comedies in which the primary focus is a romantic relationship?" Or would we open it to comedies in which romance is an important factor but not necessarily the primary subject?

Here's are some potentially divisive examples: Is Raising Arizona a romantic comedy? Is Moulin Rouge? Is Harold and Maude? Is The Thin Man?

My top 3 romantic comedies are The Fisher King, Lars and the Real Girl, and Punch-Drunk Love.

Guest Pax
Here's are some potentially divisive examples: Is Raising Arizona a romantic comedy? Is Moulin Rouge? Is Harold and Maude? Is The Thin Man?

Moulin Rouge is definitely a comedy, but I'm not sure that was intentional. tongue.gif <-- my first smiley!

You don't have to worry about Moulin Rouge, it will never make any cut on this board.

I wonder if instead of a genre list we came up with a more thematic list -- as some were suggesting before we picked Horror.

Remember some ideas?

Like best conversion films, etc.?

Or maybe even a stylistic/genre mix -- like best road movies and call it "Pilgrimages" or something like that.

This approach is probably prone to a host of dangers and pitfalls but on the other hand it might be more striking.

Someone was saying "we're heading in the direction of the AFI lists" -- well, a thematic list would not head in that direction at all.

Just a thought.

I wonder if instead of a genre list we came up with a more thematic list -- as some were suggesting before we picked Horror.

Remember some ideas?

Like best conversion films, etc.?

Or maybe even a stylistic/genre mix -- like best road movies and call it "Pilgrimages" or something like that.

This approach is probably prone to a host of dangers and pitfalls but on the other hand it might be more striking.

Someone was saying "we're heading in the direction of the AFI lists" -- well, a thematic list would not head in that direction at all.

Just a thought.

I hafta say, this makes sense.

Dude! I been sig quoted! Is this a first for me?

That's hard to imagine. But if it is the case, well... it's one of my favorite SDG moments.

The problem with the Holy Fools idea is that it opens the possibility of Forrest Gump making a list, at which point I'd have to leave this forum. Forever.

So much attacking and defending of critical opinions!

The problem with the Holy Fools idea is that it opens the possibility of Forrest Gump making a list, at which point I'd have to leave this forum. Forever.

You'd have to run to catch up with me.

So much attacking and defending of critical opinions!

Every cinephile has his limit.

I would be very happy to work on that list. If we could actually find 25 films about marriage worth recommending, I would be overjoyed.

I don't mind the theme idea, but I find it far less interesting than seeing this community celebrating the best of a genre. A theme-based list feels like it's the theme that's being honored and celebrated, perhaps more than the films. At least with a genre list, you're celebrating the genre and the films, which are both pure celebrations of cinema. To me, what also makes the A&F top 100/top 25 lists so great is that there are many such lists, but none that are anything like ours.

Personally, I'd vote for documentaries. But I'll also say that after doing horror, doing comedy makes a lot of sense to me.

Edited by Scott Derrickson

A couple of you have asked about the frequency of the smaller lists.

Originally someone (we?) floated the idea of 3 or 4 per year, and we've since been persuaded that one 25 list per year is the best option for IMAGE.

While it's true that recreating one Top 25 page is not as labor-intensive as 35 new Top 100 pages, it still involves a decent amount of time from the staff and interns on setting up the voting, tabulation, and blurbs, as well as the time and money put into the PR effort. We don't have an unlimited budget for PR.

So, I hope y'all understand. It's not that we don't want to, it's just that we can't do everything. And since we didn't get as much press this year for whatever reason, we are thinking twice about saturating the market, so to speak.

As always, we welcome your comments.

So, I hope y'all understand. It's not that we don't want to, it's just that we can't do everything.

Well... why not?

But seriously... I like the once-a-year thing. It gives us lots of time to discuss, and to remember titles that we might forget if we rushed things.

You don't have to worry about Moulin Rouge, it will never make any cut on this board.

My friend, you're just lucky Jason Bortz isn't posting here any more, 'cause them would be considered fightin' words. ;)

My friend, you're just lucky Jason Bortz isn't posting here any more, 'cause them would be considered fightin' words. ;)

Well I am posting here and them is fightin' words!

I like all the suggestions but I'm inclined towards another genre idea. I'll throw my vote in for comedies.

We should post a poll in October, close by Oct 15, start noms on Oct 17, close noms on Nov 30.

I would not pick a theme until then.---this is a 1x a year thing, right? Pick a release date near the awards or valentines day or st paddy's day (assuming theme is top 25 award winning irish romantic comedies).

So ... is the consensus comedies?

I like the comedy suggestion, but I'm sensitive to the concern that we may wind up plodding in the AFI's footsteps, and I like Greg's proposal to mix it up with a more thematic approach ... Greg's road movie / "pilgrimages" suggestion is a really interesting one, perhaps the best balance of everyone's concerns I've seen.

I'm being indecisive and unhelpful. I agree with everyone and everything.

Except doing it only once a year. Is twice a year too often? I would love that.

Edited by SDG

We should post a poll in October, close by Oct 15, start noms on Oct 17, close noms on Nov 30.

I would not pick a theme until then.---this is a 1x a year thing, right? Pick a release date near the awards or valentines day or st paddy's day (assuming theme is top 25 award winning irish romantic comedies).

Even if we only do it once a year (for good PR timing for a release), I don't know why we should limit discussion and nominations to such a short time period. While I think I like the end result Top 25 Horror, honestly we were lucky with that one because it was far too rushed.

Also, the more time we allot for nominations and discussion, and more time we can spend refining the reasons and the philosophy behind our choices.