Sign in to follow this  
chillinrev

Phil Collins retires

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/entertainment-arts-12686726?SThisFB

Initially I thought good but thought about his stuff with Genesis both as drummer and vocalist, and even a few of the earlier solo songs and then thought, he is not that bad. What do others think? Is he the greatest drummer/vocalist ever? In The Air Tonight, Turn It On Again, Mama, all great songs.

If the world was my oyster I would never taste anything!!!

This came up in my music library this morning - I think it's a bit of an overlooked classic with Phil on vocals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26spJBRZRsg (Star of Sirius, from Steve Hackett's Voyage of the Acolyte album).

Phil Collins obviously made some great music in his time - especially up to around the self-titled Genesis album in 1983, before he went too overtly into big MOR ballads - I'm not sure how much great music he had left in him, but it's sad that injuries have hampered his drumming recently.

Edited by TheTrout

It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents

... but it's sad that injuries have hampered his drumming recently.

He said in an interview I just heard that it is actually kind of liberating for him not be physically able to drum.

I had the same sort of reaction as chillinrev: "no big loss" initially, and then, "wait...he's actually kind of awesome." Even some of his more adult contemporary singles ("One More Night," "Another Day in Paradise") are...well...I think I like them a lot. I'd certainly rather here any of Collins's solo singles or Genesis tunes than, say, anything by Van Halen.

But that's because of Philip Bailey's harmonies, right?

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

I have mixed feelings about Phil. I don't think he's the Curse of Popular Music, as he is often portrayed, and his contribtions to the first four or five post-Gabriel Genesis albums were quite wonderful. Amazingly, there wasn't much of a quality dropoff on Trick of the Tail, Abacab, Duke, etc., although the music obviously went in a different direction. After 1982 or so? Well, I tend to view him as the Curse of Popular Music. Still, he's one of the more self-effacing pop stars, and I have to give him credit for that. And he's a great drummer. In spite of a boatload of music that makes me wince, it's hard for me to think ill of him.