Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Links to our threads on Spider-Man 2 (2004), Spider-Man 3 (2007) and The Amazing Spider-Man (2012).

Links to our threads on the original Spider-Man (2002) at the old Novogate discussion board:

- - -

James Vanderbilt Returning to Pen 'Spider-Man' Sequel (Exclusive)

Vanderbilt had a meeting with the Spider-Man filmmakers and studio execs yesterday outlining his take, getting a thumbs up, and will now begin writing.

Vanderbilt has become part of the Spider-Man family at Columbia, which has enjoyed great success with a tightknit group of creative people. Vanderbilt first worked on Spider-Man 4 for the studio, back when Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire were planning to continue the series. At the time, he was chosen for his character-driven approach to the story rather than a focus on special effects and worked on an outline for a trio of films.

When the project was reconfigured into a reboot, Vanderbilt was brought over to pen the new, character-focused version. (Alvin Sargent, also a member of the Columbia’s Spider-Man family, worked on the new script.) . . .

Hollywood Reporter, March 24

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci Re-Writing Sequel To ‘Amazing Spider-Man’

BREAKING: Star Trek scribes Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci have been tapped by Sony Pictures to rewrite the script for the sequel to The Amazing Spider-Man, the 3D Marc Webb-directed film that introduces Andrew Garfield as the webslinger and Emma Stone as his love interest Gwen Stacy. Sony releases the franchise relaunch July 3. The first draft was done by Amazing Spider-Man scribe James Vanderbilt. Sony has tentatively scheduled production for the first quarter of 2013.

Kurtzman & Orci are no strangers to event-sized movies. Aside from Star Trek and the upcoming sequel, which they wrote along with Damon Lindelof, their credits include two Transformers films and Mission: Impossible III. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, April 24

Shailene Woodley Closing in on Deal to Star in 'Divergent'

Woodley initially had scheduling issues as an obstacle to the dealmaking, having had offers to play both Mary Jane and the Divergent lead. But the Mary Jane role is proving to be only a very small part in Amazing Spider-Man 2 but blossoms into an integral lead for the planned third movie as the studio seeks to build to the classic "Death of Gwen Stacy" story. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, October 18

Dehaan was in Lawless (Cricket), and in Chronicle (Andrew Detmer). Great actor, loved him in both those movies, and find this news exciting as someone who actually enjoyed Amazing Spiderman

It should be The Spectacular Spider-Man. Or The Superior Spider-Man.

You could also go with Web of Spider-Man, that was one of Marvel's comic titles at one point.

Um, no.

The Rhino is a big dumb mook, like the Sandman. but more so. He's the Big Dumb Mook. He's built like a bouncer, a prizefighter, with a brain to match.

Giamatti can play menacing, but he's not the guy who can take down two or three guys even before he gets super powers; and while it's possible he could play dumb, if you wanted someone to play dumb I'm not sure why you would cast Giamatti.

: The Rhino is a big dumb mook, like the Sandman.

Ooooh, Sideways in-joke!

That was almost intentional, I think. I'm pretty sure it was on the edge of my consciousness.

Um, no.

The Rhino is a big dumb mook, like the Sandman. but more so. He's the Big Dumb Mook. He's built like a bouncer, a prizefighter, with a brain to match.

Giamatti can play menacing, but he's not the guy who can take down two or three guys even before he gets super powers; and while it's possible he could play dumb, if you wanted someone to play dumb I'm not sure why you would cast Giamatti.

Because they're looking for dumb with pathos?

The synopsis, in case anyone was wondering:

In The Amazing Spider-Man™ 2, for Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield), life is busy – between taking out the bad guys as Spider-Man and spending time with the person he loves, Gwen (Emma Stone), high school graduation can’t come quickly enough. Peter hasn’t forgotten about the promise he made to Gwen’s father to protect her by staying away – but that’s a promise he just can’t keep. Things will change for Peter when a new villain, Electro (Jamie Foxx), emerges, an old friend, Harry Osborn (Dane DeHaan), returns, and Peter uncovers new clues about his past.

Chris Cooper is the Norman Osborne/The Green Goblin.

I just hope he raps.

Dehaan was in Lawless (Cricket), and in Chronicle (Andrew Detmer). Great actor, loved him in both those movies, and find this news exciting as someone who actually enjoyed Amazing Spiderman

Interesting to see DeHaan catapult from Chronicle into this so easily. He would have been a great Anakin Skywalker. He's in Lincoln too, but only briefly, and he spends his time there looking like, "Wow, I'm in a Spielberg movie? Already? Is it because I look so much like a young, angry DiCaprio?"

Edited by Overstreet

Andrew Garfield: "Why can't [spider-Man] be gay?"

“And I was like, ‘What if MJ is a dude?’ Why can’t we discover that Peter is exploring his sexuality? It’s hardly even groundbreaking!…So why can’t he be gay? Why can’t he be into boys?”

Garfield even has an actor in mind: “I’ve been obsessed with Michael B. Jordan since The Wire. He’s so charismatic and talented. It’d be even better—we’d have interracial bisexuality!”