Overstreet

American Gods

42 posts in this topic

Totalfilm:

Neil Gaiman’s novel American Gods is set to be made into a movie.

The British author has revealed that the rights to the novel have been sold and a top secret director has boarded the project.

Though no details beyond that are known, Gaiman is clearly very excited that one of his most celebrated works is to get the film treatment.

“There is one cinematographer and director on board,” he says, “who has many, many Oscars and is, I think, a genius.

“I love the fact that he fell in love with this about six or seven years ago and has not given up and just kept coming back and coming back.”

So... what's your guess?

Edited by Overstreet

Is he saying the cinematographer and director are one person or two?

Well, Vittorio Storaro seems to be the only currently working cinematographer with more than two awards.

Spielberg, Oliver Stone, and Clint Eastwood are the only currently working directors with more than one award. Of those, Spielberg is the only one I can imagine making American Gods. Though, actually, it might be just misanthropic enough for Stone to have a go at it, even if it strays from his usual emphasis on what I expect he sees as hard-nosed realism.

Regardless, I think, whoever ends up making this movie, Gaiman will be found somewhat guilty of hyperbole.

Though, actually, it might be just misanthropic enough for Stone to have a go at it, even if it strays from his usual emphasis on what I expect he sees as hard-nosed realism.

Do you really think Stone would describe his own style as "realism"? (An honest question. I'm by no means a Stone expert, but I think a lot of things in his films strike me as very deliberately theatrical.)

Link to the Digital Spy story that broke the news.

Link to our thread on Thor, which also modernizes and/or Americanizes the Norse gods (or at least one of them). Are there any other current/recent films that do this? (Based on the Wikipedia summary, it doesn't seem that this book does much with the Greco-Roman gods, so there may not be a need to link to the most recent installments in the Percy Jackson and Clash of the Titans series, but... oh, wait, I just linked to them, didn't I.)

Win a part in the American Gods audiobook:

You could win a speaking role in Neil Gaiman's upcoming American Gods audiobook. And there is more! The winner will be flown and hosted in NYC where the recording will be taped. He or she will get coached by Neil Gaiman himself (!), be credited for his or her contribution and receive a copy of the audiobook once the product is released.

Neil Gaiman’s American Gods is one of the most talked-about books of the new millennium, and a perennial favorite of readers around the world. The special anniversary edition audiobook includes an introduction written and read by the author, and features his preferred text (an additional 12,000 words throughout). The audiobook will be available in digital audio on June 21, 2011, simultaneously with the publication of American Gods: 10th Anniversary Edition hardcover edition.

Whoa.

As HBO prepares to unveil its epic-sized series adaptation of George RR Martin's Game of Thrones this Sunday, the payweb has begun talks to acquire the Neil Gaiman novel American Gods to be developed into another fantasy series. The project was brought to HBO by Playtone partners Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman, and it was brought to them by Robert Richardson. The plan is for Richardson and Gaiman to write the pilot together.

Richardson is the renowned cinematographer who just completed Hugo Cabret and whose recent credits include Shutter Island, Inglourious Basterds and Kill Bill. He is a regular collaborator with directors that include Martin Scorsese, Quentin Tarantino and Oliver Stone and has won Oscars for The Aviator and JFK. It is his first significant scripting effort. He'll do it in collaboration with Gaiman, a fanboy god for works like The Sandman, whose script work includes Beowulf. His novels Stardust and Coraline have been turned into films, and Neil Jordan is directing an adaption of Gaiman's The Graveyard Book.

Is the series instead of, or in addition to the movie?

I believe it's "instead of".

This could be worth getting excited about.

For anyone who hasn't read American Gods and Anansi Boys, I can heartily recommend both. They are both of a much more literary turn than most of the other books they're surrounded with on the Science Fiction bookshelf.

Looks like this thread should be moved to the 'Television & Radio' forum. Moderators?

- - -

Tom Hanks' Playtone Productions Announces Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods,' Mattel's 'Major Matt Mason,' Green Day's 'American Idiot' (Exclusive)

SINGAPORE – Tom Hanks’ Playtone Productions is set to produce a six-season, open-ended series, American Gods, for HBO, based on Neil Gaiman’s award-winning novel, while the company’s next project, Major Matt Mason, is in talks with Robert Zemeckis to direct in 3D, Playtone partner Gary Goetzman told The Hollywood Reporter.

The series-in-development, revolving around the question “are you a god if no one believes in you?” is executive produced by Goetzman and Hanks, with Bob Richardson, and Gaiman on board as executive producer and writer.

Each of the six seasons will be of 10-12, hour-long episodes with a budget of around $35-40 million per season, targeted to debut on the cable powerhouse in 2013 at the earliest.

Rich in religious folklore that spanned millennia and featuring deities from Greek and Nordic mythology, and even the Judeo-Christian monotheistic God making an appearance, in the contemporary U.S., American Gods will be effects-heavy to do justice to the awe-inspiring power of the divine beings. “There are some crazy things in there. We’ll probably be doing more effects in there than it’s been done on a television series,” said Goetzman. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, June 11

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

More information on the American Gods series. (Should this thread be moved to the TV forum?)

Tom Hanks’ Playtone Productions is set to produce a six-season, open-ended series, American Gods, for HBO, based on Neil Gaiman’s award-winning novel, while the company’s next project, Major Matt Mason, is in talks with Robert Zemeckis to direct in 3D, Playtone partner Gary Goetzman told The Hollywood Reporter.

Each of the six seasons will be of 10-12, hour-long episodes with a budget of around $35-40 million per season, targeted to debut on the cable powerhouse in 2013 at the earliest. The series-in-development, revolving around the question “are you a god if no one believes in you?” is executive produced by Goetzman and Hanks, with Bob Richardson, and Gaiman on board as executive producer and writer.

Rich in religious folklore that spanned millennia and featuring deities from Greek and Nordic mythology, and even the Judeo-Christian monotheistic God making an appearance, in the contemporary U.S., American Gods will be effects-heavy to do justice to the awe-inspiring power of the divine beings. “There are some crazy things in there. We’ll probably be doing more effects in there than it’s been done on a television series,” said Goetzman.

So, should we just start a new thread under Television & Radio?

Neil Gaiman Talks American Gods HBO series -

During the interview Gaiman reveals that the first season of the series would be based on the entire book, with some curve balls thrown in to keep those who have read the book on their toes. After that first season however, the show would continue from where book ends, going down completely new and unexplored paths. Rather interestingly, Gaiman denies that his book Anansi Boys is related to American Gods. Most assume it’s a sequel because it features a character from American Gods, Mr. Nancy. Gaiman claims he imagined the character of Mr. Nancy and Anansi Boys while he was writing American Gods and decided to borrow the character before he wrote the book. It’s just the two books that aren’t supposed to be connected to each other. I kind of get what he’s trying to say, but really, the novels share a character, so it links them whether he likes it or not. Anansi Boys has a movie adaptation in development, but Gaiman seems to think it would work better as a TV mini series.

So Season Two, if there is one, would be a continuation of the story where the book leaves off. The story was by no means finished at the end of the book.

Edited by Persiflage

In somewhat disappointing news, American Gods has left (or been pushed aside by) HBO.  In good news, it has been picked up by a company called Freemantle Media and is still going to happen.

Michael Lombardo says the script HBO came up with was simply not good enough:

What happened?  

I think we're all huge fans of the book, and I think the script just didn't — we couldn't craft the script as good as we needed it to be. I think we knew going in that it would be a challenge; every good book is a challenge to adapt it and find the level you need for it. The bar is high now for great dramas. And to find that bar — we tried. So it was a huge disappointment […] We tried three different writers, we put a lot of effort into it. Some things just don't happen. We have to trust at the end of the day, if you don't have a star with a great script, you're just not going to go through with it.

I understand.  

Even though we love the book, we love the idea, we love the hope of what it could be, we just couldn't get it right. 

Bryan Fuller.

This thread belongs in the TV forum, too.

Edited by Tyler

I love this tagline:

cn5lut8vuai36qp.jpg

"You are what you worship."

Yeah, when I read the book, I thought it was weird that all the main actual god characters were from Norse and Greek mythology, kept alive by the old-fashioned beliefs of immigrants.  It seemed like if worship was the thing that brought gods to life (Terry Pratchett-Discworld-style), then we'd have a lot of different gods in modern America related to sports and movie stars and money and sex and, I dunno, a bunch of modern obsessions.  But the book largely sidesteps the satirical possibilities and focuses on mythology--though it does portray kitschy side-of-the-road landmarks as modern shrines.  At least, that's how I remember it, I haven't read it in almost a decade.

17 minutes ago, StephenM said:

"You are what you worship."

Yeah, when I read the book, I thought it was weird that all the main actual god characters were from Norse and Greek mythology, kept alive by the old-fashioned beliefs of immigrants.  It seemed like if worship was the thing that brought gods to life (Terry Pratchett-Discworld-style), then we'd have a lot of different gods in modern America related to sports and movie stars and money and sex and, I dunno, a bunch of modern obsessions.  But the book largely sidesteps the satirical possibilities and focuses on mythology--though it does portray kitschy side-of-the-road landmarks as modern shrines.  At least, that's how I remember it, I haven't read it in almost a decade.

Isn't that what the new American Gods are? The goddess Media in particular, but also gods of the internet and technology and the stock market.