Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Arkadin

Django Unchained

HitFlix has the title page of Tarantino's new script, DJANGO UNCHAINED, which is reported to star Franco Nero, the original Django, and Christoph Waltz. Whether this film is a sequel to the previous Django films is uncertain. The title could just be another INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS thing, tipping the hat to another work but not actually tied to it.

In the comments, there are folks who have claimed to read the script--and given the way Tarantino tosses his scripts around, that's not impossible--and suggest that the story is as follows: "It's not at all a Django movie in the sense that the Franco Nero movie was. I'll give you all a little hint: Django is the name of a freed slave who becomes a bounty hunter tutored by another bounty hunter - Waltz - on a take no prisoners quest to rescue his wife from an evil plantation owner." If true, Tarantino is returning to the world of pulp history, like he did with BASTERDS. And such a summary makes some sense, since Tarantino referred to this film as his "southern."

Anne Thompson at IndieWire collects a few links that support the above plot description, and digs up a Tarantino quote regarding this new project:

Sergio at
(the latest welcome entrant to the indieWIRE blog network) picked up a plot description from a commenter at Hollywood Elsewhere:

Django is a freed slave, who, under the tutelage of a German bounty hunter (Christopher Waltz) becomes a bad-ass bounty hunter himself, and after assisting Waltz in taking down some bad guys for profit, is helped by Waltz in tracking down his slave wife and liberating her from an evil plantation owner. And that doesn’t even half begin to cover it! This film deals with racism as I’ve rarely seen it handled in a Hollywood film. While it’s 100 percent pure popcorn and revenge flick, it is pure genius in the way it takes on the evil slave owning south. Think of what he did with the Nazis in Inglorious and you’ll get a sense of what he’s doing with slave owners and slave overseers in this one.

WME confirmed this plotline: “It’s a western whose lead character is a former slave who is in league with Waltz to save his wife from an evil plantation owner.” UPDATE: The Playlist fills in more details of what Tarantino said he wanted to do back in 2010:

“I’d like to do a Western. But rather than set it in Texas, have it in slavery times. With that subject that everybody is afraid to deal with. Let’s shine that light on ourselves. You could do a ponderous history lesson of slaves escaping on the Underground Railroad. Or, you could make a movie that would be exciting. Do it as an adventure. A spaghetti Western that takes place during that time. And I would call it ‘A Southern.’.. I want to do movies that deal with America’s horrible past with slavery and stuff but do them like spaghetti westerns, not like big issue movies. I want to do them like they’re genre films, but they deal with everything that America has never dealt with because it’s ashamed of it, and other countries don’t really deal with because they don’t feel they have the right to.”

Edited by Ryan H.

Deadline -

BREAKING: Quentin Tarantino has made his choice and negotiations will begin for Jamie Foxx to play the title character in Django Unchained ... Foxx will join Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson in a Sergio Leone-style spaghetti Western that Tarantino wrote and has set in Mississippi during slavery. No deal has been made yet, but it shouldn't take long ...

Django is a slave who's liberated by a German dentist-turned-bounty hunter and taught the tricks of the trade by his mentor. Django's major goal in life is to recover his wife, and to do it he needs to get past the villainous ranch owner Calvin Candie (DiCaprio), who runs Candyland, a despicable club and plantation in Mississippi where female slaves are exploited as sex objects and males are pitted against each other in "mandingo"-style death matches. Candie is a slave's worst nightmare, and that is where Django's wife Broomhilda is an abused slave.

Waltz, who won the Oscar for Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds, is locked as the bounty hunter and DiCaprio signed on earlier this month. Tarantino's Pulp Fiction star Jackson is also expected to play the role of Stephen, Candie's valet who keeps the slaves in line at Candie's residence.

Edited by Persiflage

Kevin Costner in a Tarantino movie? IMHO, that's the most exciting news about this project so far. If he can restart Travolta's career, he can restart Costner's. Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Ooh.

Has Costner played a villain before?

Yes.

No Way Out.

Also, 3000 Miles to Graceland. Not spoiler tagging that one as it's spelled out in the film description on IMDB.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

I don't know that I would call Costner the "villain" in that spoiler-blocked film. There's a scene at the very end of the film that reveals he is on "the other side", politically speaking, but in dramatic terms, he's certainly the protagonist and someone we're supposed to sympathize with (at least until that final scene).

Costner has played other characters who are morally ambiguous at best, e.g. the escaped convict turned kidnapper in A Perfect World (1993) or the serial-killer protagonist in Mr. Brooks (2007).

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Kurt Russell is in talks to play Ace Woody (AKA the Kevin Costner role).

Yes, please! Russell nailed the role of Stuntman Mike in DEATH PROOF.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Remember when Kevin Costner and Kurt Russell played rival Elvis impersonators in 3000 Miles to Graceland?

And Christian Slater had a speech about how he'd f--- Elvis in True Romance, which was written by Tarantino.

This means something, I'm sure of it.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.