Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

TIFF 2011

49 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I found out last night that I will be making my eighth straight trip to the Toronto International Film Festival in September. Anyone else planning/hoping to go? It's never too early to begin daydreaming and making plans, I say.

Posted · Report post

I found out last night that I will be making my eighth straight trip to the Toronto International Film Festival in September. Anyone else planning/hoping to go? It's never too early to begin daydreaming and making plans, I say.

I plan/hope to make my second attendance this fall.

Posted · Report post

Got official news yesterday that I'm press-accredited for TIFF. Potential interviews (assuming their films are programmed and they show up for press): the Dardennes, Bruno Dumont, Bela Tarr, Hong Sang-soo, Andrei Zvyagintsev, and Bertrand Bonello. And that's just the Cannes crew. I'm sure a couple other favorites will premiere in Venice and Toronto. :)

Posted · Report post

Awesome. Mubi again?

Posted · Report post

Senses of Cinema, with Mubi as a secondary outlet. The good thing about Senses is that most of the filmmakers I'm interested in interviewing are aware of it. Last year, Guerin really perked up when I mentioned I'd written about one of his earlier films for Senses.

Posted · Report post

How cool is this church.

Posted · Report post

TIFF announced its first fifty titles a few days ago. Currently sitting in my Top 5 to-see list:

Melancholia -- Lars von Trier

A Dangerous Method -- David Cronenberg, France

Shame -- Steve McQueen, UK

Woman in the Fifth -- Pawel Pawlikowski, France/Poland/United Kingdom

Martha Marcy May Marlene -- Sean Durkin, USA

There are also quite a few major releases that I'm looking forward to seeing, though not at TIFF:

The Ides of March -- George Clooney, USA

Take this Waltz -- Sarah Polley, Canada

Moneyball -- Bennett Miller, USA

Posted · Report post

TIFF announced its first fifty titles a few days ago. Currently sitting in my Top 5 to-see list:

Melancholia -- Lars von Trier

A Dangerous Method -- David Cronenberg, France

Shame -- Steve McQueen, UK

Woman in the Fifth -- Pawel Pawlikowski, France/Poland/United Kingdom

Martha Marcy May Marlene -- Sean Durkin, USA

There are also quite a few major releases that I'm looking forward to seeing, though not at TIFF:

The Ides of March -- George Clooney, USA

Take this Waltz -- Sarah Polley, Canada

Moneyball -- Bennett Miller, USA

Your top three might be mine as well. I imagine this will be a good year for Mr. Fassbender.

Posted · Report post

It turns out that Thomas and I will be in Toronto for part of the festival. We won't have much time as we're visiting family (which should be the subject of another post :)) but how hard is it to get tickets for specific films? Any other tips for possible newbies?

Posted (edited) · Report post

It turns out that Thomas and I will be in Toronto for part of the festival. We won't have much time as we're visiting family (which should be the subject of another post :)) but how hard is it to get tickets for specific films? Any other tips for possible newbies?

Deb, it depends on the film. Individual tickets go on sale September 3 (before that you have to buy a package). A lot depends on the venue, too...when looking at the schedule (not yet out), make sure to look at WHERE it is playing. The ELGIN and the RYERSON are huge as is Theater 1 in the Varsity. (Most in ScotiaBank are fairly large, too.) Some filmgoers will not go to particular theaters, but if your goal is to see the film, these are the ones with lots of space.

If a show you want to see is sold out there is usually lots of places for ticket exchanges/scalpers at TIFFREVIEWS.com under "forum." Best thing, though, is to go ONLINE to the box office exactly at 8:00 a.m. on the day of the screening, since that is when tickets held for same day sales are released.

Finally, don't forget to enjoy yourself.

Ken

Edited by kenmorefield

Posted · Report post

I wish I could make it. I would love to see MELANCHOLIA, TWIXT, THE ARTIST, A DANGEROUS METHOD, and DRIVE.

Posted · Report post

Deb -

You're in for a treat - I went in 2007 and had a fantastic time - great people, fantastic city to walk in and eat my way through, Q&A with directors/actors/former presidents (well, one former prez, anyway). You might want to check out this guy's website for some pointers: http://1stthursday.blogspot.com/

Posted · Report post

Andrew wrote:

: . . . fantastic city . . .

Wow. Maybe it's just my Canadian perspective, but it always surprises me to hear people praise Toronto. (For more on that, see our thread on the 2007 documentary Let's All Hate Toronto.)

Posted · Report post

I'm always a bit amazed no one ever talks about Montreal festival - I loved it. Good films and it's in Montreal!

Posted · Report post

Andrew wrote:

Wow. Maybe it's just my Canadian perspective, but it always surprises me to hear people praise Toronto. (For more on that, see our thread on the 2007 documentary Let's All Hate Toronto.)

I'm sure Vancouver has some good things going for it, too...

I'm always a bit amazed no one ever talks about Montreal festival - I loved it. Good films and it's in Montreal!

Just curious, Darrel, which festival in particular? I think there are 2-3 semi-major ones running every year now.

Edited by N.W. Douglas

Andrew wrote:

Yeah, I used to feel the same way. Growing up out west (Saskatchewan, spent a year at grad school in Victoria) I always dismissed Toronto. But you know what? I've grown to enjoy it. My brother and his wife live just off Bloor St. near the U of T, and the few times I've visited I've had a great time. TIFF last year was fantastic. I'm not surprised that visitors love Toronto. Just makes me wonder what they'd say if they visited the rest of Canada (I love the city of Vancouver maybe even more than Toronto).

Edited by Anders

Posted · Report post

I love Toronto, but that's because I've only had idealized experiences of it. I only go there in early September, when temps are in the 70s, the skies are blue, and everyone in the city is a cinephile. Heaven!

Posted · Report post

I love Toronto, but that's because I've only had idealized experiences of it. I only go there in early September, when temps are in the 70s, the skies are blue, and everyone in the city is a cinephile. Heaven!

How could anyone not love it!?

Posted · Report post

The ELGIN and the RYERSON are huge as is Theater 1 in the Varsity.

Ken, did you read that the Varsity is no longer part of TIFF? I didn't have a single screening there last year but still made a nostalgic visit after seeing something at the Isabel Bader.

Just curious, Darrel, which festival in particular? I think there are 2-3 semi-major ones running every year now.

Festival des Films du Monde is the one I made it to a few years ago. I think it's the only North American festival that has a SIGNIS/Interfilm Ecumenical Jury. The year I was there Interfilm was having a faith and film class (love going to festivals for continuing ed credit).

Edited by Darrel Manson

Posted · Report post

The ELGIN and the RYERSON are huge as is Theater 1 in the Varsity.

Ken, did you read that the Varsity is no longer part of TIFF? I didn't have a single screening there last year but still made a nostalgic visit after seeing something at the Isabel Bader.

I had not heard that. (Could have sworn that's where I saw Beautiful Boy last year) but given the opening of the Lightbox, it doesn't surprise me.

Speaking of which, there is a lot of seating at Theaters 1 and 2 in the Lightbox but last year screenings at these venues were particularly prone to starting late. One hopes that having a year under their belt, they will be better at planning flow in and out, but be careful scheduling there if you are tight on time.

Posted · Report post

There were a few screenings at the Varsity last year but it's now officially no longer part of the fest. I'll miss it.

Posted · Report post

Deb, if you don't order tickets online, or if your schedule makes it difficult for you to make plans well in advance, you can also just drop by the public box office, which is at 225 King Street West this year. They have poster-sized film schedules that are constantly updated. So, for example, if you wanted to take in the festival for a day, you can stop by there and browse the list of what's playing later that day. (I'd recommend getting there early that morning.) Everything will be listed as "on sale" or "rush." TIFF usually sets aside a small number of tickets for people who arrive early and wait in the rush line at the theater where a particular film is playing. In my seven years, I've never not been able to get into a screening.