Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sinister (2012)

220 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The LA Times reports that Jason Blum (Paranormal Activity) is working with Scott Derrickson on an as-yet-untitled horror project.

Scott, are you there? Are you doing this before David and Goliath? At the same time?

Posted · Report post

Well that certainly casts our thread on Insidious in a whole new light. :)

Posted · Report post

Yes, I am here. Not sure yet which film will go first -- I should know in the next two weeks.

My post on INSIDIOUS had nothing to do with me working with the producer, except that I don't think a major studio would ever allow such a bold, ambitious genre film as that one to be financed and distributed. Anytime I see something released that is really out of the box, it does my heart good. And when I think of that film now, Peter, I always picture you literally throwing your popcorn.biggrin.gif

Posted · Report post

Are you doing anything with Joel McHale of Community fame? What with that retweet I saw on Twitter... :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Are you doing anything with Joel McHale of Community fame? What with that retweet I saw on Twitter... :)

That's hilarious that he sends that tweet, and you comment on it here. There is no denying the power of Joel McHale.

He's been my best friend for many years - since before he was on television. We're looking for something to do together -- we will one day.

Edited by Scott Derrickson

I'm a big fan of Joel's. It was actually his commen that made me realize you were on Twitter (so I clicked follow).

Edited by Nezpop

Posted · Report post

Starring ... Ethan Hawke!

So good to hear casting news in relation to one of your projects again, Scott. :)

Posted · Report post

Starring ... Ethan Hawke!

So good to hear casting news in relation to one of your projects again, Scott. :)

Thanks much Peter. I think it was all that spirited A&F horror list discussion that put me into horror overdrive on this one. And Hawke was my first choice for the lead -- that almost never happens.

Posted · Report post

That's awesome. :D

Cannot wait to learn more.

Posted · Report post

Summit Buying U.S. For Scott Derrickson-Directed Thriller With Ethan Hawke

EXCLUSIVE: Summit Entertainment has won an auction for U.S. distribution rights to an untitled "found footage" thriller that Scott Derrickson will direct, with Ethan Hawke starring. . . . Buyers bought it based on the track record of Blum and Derrickson, and they also got to read a script by Derrickson and C. Robert Cargill that I've heard is good and unsettling. Hawke plays a journalist who travels with his family around the country to investigate gruesome murders he turns into books. After he moves his family into a house where another family was murdered, the journo discovers found footage that unveils horrifying clues beyond what caused the original tragedy. . . .

Deadline.com, August 1

- - -

So is this a movie in which someone merely happens to find some footage, or is this a "found footage" movie in which someone finds footage-within-the-footage (or, to follow Deadline.com's bizarre phrasing, in which someone finds found footage, which would almost seem to imply that they found footage which had already been found)?

Time to rename this thread, as we now have a title: Sinister.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Wait, are we sure we have the right spelling? Or could this be the video game adaptation I've always longed to see?

A Scott Derrickson Film

SINISTAR

Edited by Ryan H.

Posted · Report post

The first pictures have been released... and for a moment I thought this was a picture of the director, rather than the star:

sinister-002.jpg

:)

Posted · Report post

Wait, are we sure we have the right spelling? Or could this be the video game adaptation I've always longed to see?

A Scott Derrickson Film

SINISTAR

If only you could have seen how hard this made me laugh. I LOVED that game.

The first pictures have been released... and for a moment I thought this was a picture of the director, rather than the star:

sinister-002.jpg

:)

Ha! I knew something was up when he told me that he wanted to wear glasses like mine. :)

Posted · Report post

Sinister, huh? So am I to guess this is a movie about American politics?

Posted · Report post

If only you could have seen how hard this made me laugh. I LOVED that game.

Me too!

Posted · Report post

I love how the blurb says Ethan Hawke's character "discovers found footage". Why can't it just say that he "finds footage"? :)

Posted · Report post

I love how the blurb says Ethan Hawke's character "discovers found footage". Why can't it just say that he "finds footage"? :)

"discovers found footage" is more horrory.

Posted · Report post

Wait...is this the next step of the found footage genre...movies about the person who finds the footage detailing the event? Hmmmm... :)

Posted · Report post

Todd Gilchrist @ The Playlist (a blog that is also hosted by indieWIRE) gives it a B-.

Joshua Brunsting at Criterioncast loves it.

Hell bent on really avoiding going solely for jump scares, the film has such an intensely strong sense of mood and atmosphere, that the film is an uncomfortable one to watch. Toss in the night terror inducing home video footage central to the plot, and you have a film that you won’t soon be forgetting. Sure, it does feel slightly over long and a bit meandering in moments, but with great performances from all involved, and some of the best horror craft work in years, Sinister is a must see film that you will never be able to forget. With an October release date looming, Summit has something truly special on their hands. Hopefully, I’ll be able to fall back asleep by then.
Edited by Overstreet

Todd Gilchrist @ The Playlist (a blog that is also hosted by indieWIRE) gives it a B-.

Huh. It's not a bad review, but there are quite a few better ones than that, Peter - so why choose that one to post? Especially given how upset I was when you posted the absolute worst reviews of my last film?

It's currently 100% fresh at Rotten Tomatoes with 8 reviews. I'll enjoy that while it lasts.

Edited by Scott Derrickson