The Muppet Movie (1979)

As we get closer to voting deadline, I'd love to be convinced of the spiritual significance in The Muppet Movie. Even though I'm a Muppet fan, I have a lot of trouble seeing why I should vote for this. Anyone want to make a case for this one?

Sorry I missed this. I could give a 2-hour lecture on the significant of The Muppet Movie. I know Gareth Higgins would back me up. But we both know that we have hard work to do to persuade others. 

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

8 minutes ago, Overstreet said:

Sorry I missed this. I could give a 2-hour lecture on the significant of The Muppet Movie. I know Gareth Higgins would back me up. But we both know that we have hard work to do to persuade others. 

I changed my vote from  a 3 to a 4 after reading your reflection..though truthfully the last 5-10 of my fours were about which of the 3s I'd elevate and I tried to reward people who cared enough about their preferences to make a pitch, so Joel gets an assist for posting  the link. Sorry it wasn't enough. I agree with whomever said (I think Evan in the Singing in the Rain thread) that the list could use a little more joy and positivity. Celebration is an important part of spirituality.

On 5/12/2020 at 10:02 PM, Overstreet said:

I asked for your reflections because, as much as I enjoy The Muppet Movie, I have always looked at its particular brand of celebration and positivity as a self-centered, Hollywood-motivated idea of living your dreams. For that reason, I couldn't justify calling it "spiritually significant," and I was prepared to give it a "1" if I couldn't be convinced otherwise. Your reflections not only addressed my concern but completely changed my mind so that I now recognize its spiritual significance. Because there were just too many great movies to choose from (I made sure to give only 100 movies a "4" or higher), I only gave it a "3." I tried bumping it up, but I couldn't find anything I felt comfortable replacing it with. But as long as Joel knew how to get me your reflections, know that they worked for me, even if that wasn't enough to get it on the 100.

I'm not concerned about it not making the Top 100. It's just a list. And there are quite a few kinds of movies missing from the list that tell me we aren't taking some things seriously enough. (Certainly we're not taking movies for children seriously enough if so few of them are on the final list. In a way, I might propose that "spiritually significant" films for children are particularly valuable. They can have a more formative influence than those made specifically for adults.) 

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

12 minutes ago, Overstreet said:

I'm not concerned about it not making the Top 100. It's just a list. And there are quite a few kinds of movies missing from the list that tell me we aren't taking some things seriously enough. (Certainly we're not taking movies for children seriously enough if so few of them are on the final list. In a way, I might propose that "spiritually significant" films for children are particularly valuable. They can have a more formative influence than those made specifically for adults.) 

Oooh, I like that as a Top 25 ideas for 2021. (But then, I also like the ideas mentioned of Television, Westerns, Musicials, and Directed by Women).

This isn't about the spiritual significance of The Muppet Movie in particular, but because this x-mas special was first broadcast within weeks of my father being taken hostage in Iran, it is hard, to this day, for me to hear this song and not mist up. The Christmas album is one of the most spiritual in the genre that is not specifically marketed as such. I think because The Muppets are equated with childish they "get away" (for lack of a better phrase) with a lot more overt religious/spiritual references when talking to a secular audience. 

Of course, I guess one could parse that as "spirituality" rather than religion -- or prefer their religion in a more evangelizing tone. But this song and the same episode's rendition of "Silent Light" displaced  "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" when I was a teenager as the best expression of what Christmas meant to me.

• 4 months later...

I mispoke at the Zoom meeting tonight. I went back and checked and it was The Great Muppet Caper, not The Muppet Movie which Ebert gave  a "thumb's down"

I just re-watched it with my kids earlier this year for the first time in ages and ages, and we got a good kick out of it. 

RIP Diana Rigg.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.