Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Drive

125 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Critics at Cannes are going bananas for Drive, and raving about Ryan Gosling's Steve McQueen performance. Oscar buzz for Albert Brooks has already begun.

The post-screening tweets are promising a cult classic.

Edited by Overstreet

Posted · Report post

Interesting. The director is Danish, but I haven't heard of him. I'm guessing he's not part of the Dogme movement.

IMDB tells me his next film is Only God Forgives. The plot description for a film with that deeply theological title? "A Bangkok police lieutenant and a gangster settle their differences in a Thai-boxing match."

Posted · Report post

I haven't seen anything he's made, but Bronson and Valhalla Rising have had plenty of attention, even here.

He's supposed to direct the Logan's Run remake too, which Gosling is also starring in.

Edited by Tyler

Posted · Report post

I haven't seen anything he's made, but Bronson and Valhalla Rising have had plenty of attention, even here.

I've also heard very good things about the Pusher trilogy.

Posted · Report post

Wells:

It's Bullitt in the clothes of a curiously motivated stunt-car driver (a very stoic and charismatic Ryan Gosling) who moonlights as a freelance getaway guy. And yes, it has that stripped-down '70s atmosphere in spades. And it delivers three killer performances from Gosling, Carey Mulligan and -- big jolt -- a darkly cynical and altogether splendid Albert Books (!), and a very fine one from Ron Perlman. It holds back, invests in silences, lets the ingredients percolate and build and then wham! And then it chills for a bit. And then wham! again. And then more quiet, waiting, looks, intimations.

It's the kind of high-end genre flick that "they" stopped making a long time ago when "they" decided that the Fast and Furious movies were better investments. Jerks.

If I was Justin Lin, the director of Fast Five and two other Fast & Furious films, I would put on a fishing hat and a fake beard and hide out in the desert until things blow over. Lin churns out bonehead CG car fantasies that are impossible to even half-believe in. Deliberately. Lin pushes his absurdities in your face and says, "Cool, huh?" But Nicholas Winding Refn is a director, a real director, and one measure of this is that he makes you believe that much of what's in Drive is fairly plausible. By today's standards that's almost a Godsend.

Posted · Report post

Critics at Cannes are going bananas for Drive, and raving about Ryan Gosling's Steve McQueen performance. Oscar buzz for Albert Brooks has already begun.

I can't wait. This was one of my most-anticipated films to show at Cannes. (I really dig BRONSON.)

Posted · Report post

I can't wait. This was one of my most-anticipated films to show at Cannes. (I really dig BRONSON.)

I overlooked Bronson in the director's credits. I have a screener of that film that I never watched. Guess I should do that.

Posted · Report post

Posted · Report post

Refn just won Best Director at Cannes for this. Wow. It's gotta feel good to win in the year that many thought belonged to Terrence Malick!

Didn't really think this film would do so well, I thought the plot sounded a little generic at first. I think Hugh Jackman was originally attached to it, too. After that clip I'm really excited to see this, Ryan Gosling just looks cool.

Thinking back on it - I think the reason it sounded so generic was because of what I would normally expect Hollywood to churn out, especially if it had to do with fast cars and stunt drivers.

Edited by Tim K

Posted · Report post

Refn just won Best Director at Cannes for this. Wow. It's gotta feel good to win in the year that many thought belonged to Terrence Malick!

Nice.

Posted · Report post

My first thought re. this film was that it sounded like a high-brow version of the Transporter movies. Which, come to think of it, doesn't sound all that bad, especially considering that the first Transporter movie was actually pretty enjoyable. (The second one had its moments, too, once you surrendered to the overall silliness. The third one was just lame.)

Pretty positive tweets from last nights screening - can be seen if you follow the #LAFilmFest hashtag. (others at #LAFF)

Edited by Darrel Manson

Posted · Report post

That looks like a movie normal people would watch. What was it doing at Cannes?

Pretty positive tweets from last nights screening - can be seen if you follow the #LAFilmFest hashtag. (others at #LAFF)

I'm not assigned to review the film. Just a casual viewer. I don't know what I'm allowed to say, but I'll go with this: If you can get to a screening, make it a priority.

Edited by Christian

Posted · Report post

I'm not assigned to review the film. Just a casual viewer. I don't know what I'm allowed to say, but I'll go with this: If you can get to a screening, make it a priority.

Believe me, I'm chomping at the bit.

Posted · Report post

:shocking:

Wow.

Just...

wow.

What Christian said.

If Sophia Coppola was a dude who made edge-of-your-seat crime thrillers, it would be kind of like this.

This and Out of Sight: Does Albert Brooks know how to pick films in this genre or what?

It's forever going to bother me that they didn't end the film about 30 seconds before they did. They missed out on what could have been one of the most famous final seconds of a movie ever. But then again, that might have been a little bit too gimmicky. I'll have to think about it.

Edited by Overstreet

This and Out of Sight: Does Albert Brooks know how to pick films in this genre or what?

He is great here, and I'm rooting for him to get a supporting-actor nomination. I'd say I'm rooting for him to win outright, but the supporting categories often are full of interesting performances, making it hard for me put all my chips in one basket. We'll see how the rest of the year unfolds.

Two things bothered me during this film:

1. Gosling's jacket. Is that mattress-pad design still the fashion? I'm hopeless with these things. The larger sunglasses these days annoy me, too, but I've grown used to them over the past couple of years. Still, I thought that type of jacket, that style, was outdated before the sunglasses started to grow to Elton-John-like proportions (circa 1975) 5 or 6 six years ago. Maybe everything "old' is new again?

2. Speaking of which, the music. Is it contemporary European pop, meaning now, or is it from the early 1980s? Reminded me of Vangelis, but with a beat. It bothered me even as I found it effective at creating a certain mood for the film. But I sat there wondering if the music was supposed to be a throwback. I even thought at one point that the film might be set in the 1980s, although I don't think we're given information to suggest it's set at any time other than the present, are we?

Glad you liked it, Jeffrey. I wasn't sure how you might react to some of the turns in the second half of the story, which surprised me in a good way. Even though I was liking the first half of the film a good deal, the second half really takes things to another level.

Edited by Christian

Shut up. That jacket deserves an Oscar.

Edited by Overstreet

Posted · Report post

The one thing that bothered me was the scene in the garage when Irene has brought the car in and Benicio is watching him work on the car up on the rack. He keeps ratcheting and ratcheting and what ever he's tightening never seems to get tight. Yeah, it's minor, but it got my attention - not a good thing.

Posted · Report post

I have some friends who work at a garage like that, and I wondered what they'd think of that scene. I'll bet they say the same thing you do.

I love love love that

the kiss happens when it does.

Because he knows that it will probably never be possible after what happens next.

Posted · Report post

The one thing that bothered me was the scene in the garage when Irene has brought the car in and Benicio is watching him work on the car up on the rack. He keeps ratcheting and ratcheting and what ever he's tightening never seems to get tight. Yeah, it's minor, but it got my attention - not a good thing.

That's funny now that you mention it. Didn't occur to me at the time. I was too distracted by the jacket, the sunglasses, that music.