Bill Mallonee - The Power And The Glory

winter shaker

Of all the songwriters out there, I hope and pray for Bill Mallonee to succeed; I think he belongs with the likes of Bob Dylan, Bruce Cockburn and Mark Heard. That he has never seemed to meet financial success in the mainstream or Christian market is a real tragedy. From Drunk On The Tears to Skin to Shellshocked and beyond, Bill's music has inspired me to write my own lyrics. I've bought most of the WPAs that he's recorded as a solo artist but I'm looking forward to a new studio album:

1. UPDATE ON "THE POWER & THE GLORY:~ As I mentioned, we're shooting for a budget of $10.000. I would like this to be the last "Public Service Announcement/Request" before we take off to record. ~ NOTE: This will be a full band studio album. We'll do most of the tracking in the state-of-the-art stu of St. Francis University in Ft. Wayne, In. Your pre-ordering of the album (CD) enables us to provide you with a high quality studio recording. This record will obviously have an incredible "fan-driven'" dynamic to it! (That "grass-roots" support is a story unto itself, and one we will emphasize in future press.) THANK YOU for helping us bring these songs to life!Also: We've test driven two songs in the studios at SFU in recent months with great success! It will be an honor to be working with such a creative group of folks in the studios at St. Francis.

~ WHERE IT GOES: The budget will enable us to cover all aspects of recording, including the studio, personnel, gear rentals, engineers, mixing, mastering, art work and post production costs. Having made so many records on shoe-string budgets, you can rest assured that your contribution will be frugally employed. ( I will gladly provide you with a break down of the expenditures at your request when we finish the project.)

~ Ex-VoL, Kevin Heuer (drums), Travis McNabb (drums currently w/ Sugarland) and A. J. Adams (pedal steel & lap steel) have enlisted on the project! Again, this is a pre-order record, folks. We are requesting a minimum of $20 donation. (We're pricing some swag that we can send you with your CD as well!) This donation will insure the record's "birthing" and getting it to your front door by early September.

I don't know if the songs will be brand new or if they will partly be taken off of the WPAs albums (I'd love to hear a studio version of "Break In The Clouds". I'm glad to hear some former VoL are participating although at one point the mail list said that Jake Bradley was contributing too but perhaps that fell apart. Either way, a new studio album from Bill Mallonee will no doubt be at the top of my list of music for 2011.

Edited by winter shaker

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals

• 1 month later...

Bill's posted a couple of the album's tracks. The first song, "The Ghosts That I Run With", already appeared on a WPA but this version sounds more polished. I'm quite fond of the second song, "Ever Born Into This World".

http://billmalloneemusic.bandcamp.com/releases

He finds no mercy

• 3 months later...

242878230-1.jpg

My copy of The Power And The Glory slid through the mail slot this morning. I'm liking it a lot on the first listen. Lots of jangling, warbling guitar rock. I think Bill, Muriah and co. did a good job. I was initially disappointed when I realized that nearly all of these songs are re-dos of the songs Bill has produced in his WPA series of EPs. However, the production value on these versions is so much better and that has offset most all of the disappointment.

He finds no mercy

In my opinion, this is Bill's best album since 1999's Audible Sigh. The production values are indeed better than what we've heard in a while, and the guitars are front and center. Musically, it's a great amalgam of The Byrds and Neil Young and Crazy Horse. As per usual, there are a number of lyrical zingers. Bill knows his way around a metaphor, and there are some great ones here.

• 3 months later...