Sign in to follow this  
John Drew

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

Links to our threads on the theatrical versions of The Two Towers (Aug-Sep 2003), The Return of the King (Sep 2003 - Sep 2009) and the trilogy as a whole (Dec 2003 - present).

Links to our threads on the extended editions of The Fellowship of the Ring (Aug 2003), The Two Towers (Nov-Dec 2003), The Return of the King (Mar 2004 - May 2005) and the trilogy as a whole (Feb 2005 - Jun 2006), plus our threads-with-polls on which extended editions are our favorites (Dec 2004) and which extended editions we would rank first (Dec 2004 - Jul 2008).

Link to our thread on the "limited edition" DVDs (Jun-Nov 2006).

Links to our more thematic threads on 'Religious imagery in LotR page to screen' (Aug 2003), 'GANDALF THE GrAY' (Oct 2003 - Oct 2009), 'God in Lord of the Rings type books' (Nov 2003 - Apr 2004), 'anyone got a LOTR electronic press kit / lots of photos?' (Dec 2003), 'McKellen: No Source of Morality in Hobbiton?' (Dec 2003), 'Re-reading LOTR in light of the films, Who do you see in your mind?' (Nov 2005), 'Favorite lines: LOTR & Narnia books, nominate yours! (Nov-Dec 2005).

Links to our threads on spin-offs and spoofs like 'Howard Shore conducts LOTR symphony!' (Jul 2004) and 'Lord of the Rings by George Lucas' (Oct 2006).

Links to our 'Literature' threads on 'Lord of the Rings: Real Tales' (Aug 2003) and 'The Hobbit - Illustrated by Maurice Sendak' (Mar 2011).

Links to our thread on such technically unrelated projects as the animated version of The Lord of the Rings (1978), the documentary Ringers: Lord Of The Fans (2005) and the stage production The Lord of the Rings: The Musical (2006-2007).

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Perfect! I love these titles. I know Jackson and Co., a few months back, were kicking around "An Unexpected Journey" as "The" Unexpected Journey. I'm glad they went with "An."

Thanks for the links compendium, Peter.

Edited by Mark T. Ingham

Benedict Cumberbatch *is* the voice of Smaug!!

Wow, I can't say I expected anything like that was in his future when I first saw him in Amazing Grace.

I think the link provided is too subtle for me. ;) [Right, then. Now I see it. Haha] I'm tremendously excited to get the character confirmed. I still wish we could have seen him as, say, the Elf King of Mirkwood, but he's got the voice.

EDIT: Didn't notice this the first time:

He is already on the picture, providing the voice of the character Necromancer

B)

Edited by NBooth

I corrected that link less than a minute after the error. (My clipboard was remembering a link from an earlier email exchange, and the cut and paste of the proper link just didn't take.)

And yet, there's my mistake, preserved again in your reply quotation.

This is something I'd like to recommend - again - that we do as a courtesy to each other: If you point out something as simple as an erroneous link or spelling error, delete your correction if the error is corrected. Otherwise, your copying of the error and your correction remains on the thread unnecessarily. I don't know why you'd leave it except as a record of having caught someone's accidental error... which seems a little show-offy. Since I'm fairly sure you don't intend that, surely you won't mind cleaning up the correction.

Can we try to delete corrections, and un-clutter the threads, once the corrections are made?

I'm asking this for everybody, not just me. It would be considerate *and* help threads to read more smoothly for everybody in the future.

Otherwise, I can promise you that there will be lots of clutter from my often-imperfect cut-and-pastes.

Maybe I'm the only one who cares. But then, it's not important to me that the world keep a record of me catching others in stumbles and errors.

Actually, I left it in there because I corrected my [not correction--joke] and promptly forgot it. Show-offy? Nah. Particularly if you imagine someone sitting there and watching the whole video--as I almost did--trying to figure out if it's a joke or the most sublime viral marketing campaign ever. It's more a shared moment of humor than anything else.

But ok. I'll take the link out of my reply.

Edited by NBooth

Overstreet wrote:

: If you point out something as simple as an erroneous link or spelling error, delete your correction if the error is corrected.

Of course, some of us don't keep looking back at earlier posts to see if they have been altered. So, there's that.

B)

So Sauron is going to be more verbal in Jackson's HOBBIT films?

B)

So Sauron is going to be more verbal in Jackson's HOBBIT films?

Presumably--although he might be limited to whispers like the ring was in LOTR.

Actually, come to think of it, I would be very surprised if Jackson lets the group get through Mirkwood without paying a visit to the Necromancer's castle. It's so obvious that one wonders why Tolkien didn't think of it. <_<

Benedict Cumberbatch *is* the voice of Smaug!!

Wow, I can't say I expected anything like that was in his future when I first saw him in Amazing Grace.

Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are so good together in the BBC's "Sherlock" series. (You can stream the first season on Netflix). It's going to be strange to see/hear them go tit-for-tat again as Smaug and Bilbo.

Actually, come to think of it, I would be very surprised if Jackson lets the group get through Mirkwood without paying a visit to the Necromancer's castle. It's so obvious that one wonders why Tolkien didn't think of it. dry.gif

Well, in the timeline, the Mirkwood trek is when Gandalf sneaks into the Necromancer's castle, which is why he's not with the main group during that point in time, right?

Edited by Ryan H.

Actually, come to think of it, I would be very surprised if Jackson lets the group get through Mirkwood without paying a visit to the Necromancer's castle. It's so obvious that one wonders why Tolkien didn't think of it. dry.gif

Well, in the timeline, the Mirkwood trek is when Gandalf sneaks into the Necromancer's castle, which is why he's not with the main group during that point in time, right?

I think you're right, and that story could be intercut with the trek like Gandalf's confrontation with Saruman is intercut with...other stuff...in Fellowship. What I'm not sure of is whether Jackson (the Jackson of the last two LOTR movies) will be willing to stick with just that. But perhaps I'm too hard on him.

BTW, the Smaug story above mentions Cumberbatch is also doing the voice for the Necromancer.

Yeah, I missed that the first time I read the story, but it's a pretty important revelation (more so, even, than the fact that he's voicing Smaug) since it indicates, if only vaguely, how the additions to the story will be handled.

I think you're right, and that story could be intercut with the trek like Gandalf's confrontation with Saruman is intercut with...other stuff...in Fellowship. What I'm not sure of is whether Jackson (the Jackson of the last two LOTR movies) will be willing to stick with just that.

Hmmm, apparently not. Cumberbatch may have spilled a spoiler to Empire:

Cumberbatch said of his role, "I’m playing Smaug through motion-capture and voicing the Necromancer, which is a character in
the Five Legions War
or something which I’m meant to understand. He’s not actually in the original Hobbit. It’s something [Peter Jackson]’s taken from Lord Of The Rings that he wants to put in there."

Now those familiar with the book will notice immediately the big new piece of information here. Assuming that Cumberbatch does mean
the Battle of Five Armies
(which seems safe), then this points to one way that Peter Jackson and co. have expanded the book's story to fill two films, and provide a more seamless link to The Lord Of The Rings. . . .

Make of that what you will.

Wait...

the Necromancer might show up at the Battle of Five Armies, making a move on Smaug's gold??

Good lord. That is some serious revisionism.

Edited by Overstreet

Wait...

the Necromancer might show up at the Battle of Five Armies, making a move on Smaug's gold??

Good lord. That is some serious revisionism.

He might not

be after Smaug's gold

- there IS another item he values at that battle. Or, he might be interested in smashing a significant portion of his opposition in one swell foop.

Hobbit Writer Still Working on Story

At The Hobbit media conference held in Wellington, New Zealand today, Hobbit scribe Philippa Boyens confirmed the overarching story is still being worked on, despite the (supposed) wrap of principal photography. "We're still looking at the second and third films," Boyens said.

Of course, reworking the narrative makes sense, considering two films are now three. "We're dealing with the appendices and the other stuff Tolkien had written after The Hobbit," elaborated director Peter Jackson. "More of that stuff will appear in the second and third films."

"When Warner Bros. said 'go' for turning it into a trilogy, we were so happy, as it allowed us to tell more of these characters' stories," Boyens continued during a red carpet interview. "Particularly Gandalf's story."

Most of the extra material is being generated not just from the appendices, but from within the text of The Lord of the Rings itself. "Especially for characters like Radagast," she said. . . .

IGN.ca, November 28

Anyone else think that perhaps a new form of directors cut should be invented from this series of film? I'm proposing that when all is said and done, that Jackson and Company release a truncated version of The Hobbit to home video that is just The Hobbit sans all the appendices material.

Edited by John Drew

Anyone else think that perhaps a new form of directors cut should be invented from this series of film? I'm proposing that when all is said and done, that Jackson and Company release a truncated version of The Hobbit to home video that is just The Hobbit sans all the appendices material.

That's actually a really cool idea.

I don't remember if anyone has said this or not, but I really love the title, THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG. So, there's that going for it.

Wonderful idea, but probably impossible given some of the changes to THE HOBBIT's storyline.

I'm just hoping Jackson goes back and replaces Ian Holm with Martin Freeman in the prologue to Fellowship of the Ring, a la the way Hayden Christensen replaced Sebastian Shaw in Return of the Jedi.