Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Jack the Giant Slayer (was: Jack the Giant Killer)

Yep. It's also getting mediocre reviews. Looks like I'm out of step with society on this one. I really liked the film.

For whatever it's worth, I liked "Jack the Giant Slayer" better than "John Carter". I hope that's not damning with faint praise.

Has Bryan Singer Banned 'Jack the Giant Slayer' Talk?

Interns at the director's Bad Hat Harry shingle say they've been warned not to mention the project, one of the year's box office bombs.

Hollywood Reporter, August 22

I understand that studios want to, even need to, make a profit.  But whether or not a film bombs at the box office doesn't necessarily equate to how good the film is.  If Bryan Singer and company have this attitude to what really wasn't all that bad of a film, then I find that a bit troubling.  I don't want to hear of filmmakers gauging the value of their films by how much money they make.  I can't see how that would help Hollywood move out of the hole that its dug itself into in regards to putting an overabundance of interest on huge profits, instead of making good films.

Edited by Attica

I have a vague recollection that Singer was going to direct X-Men: First Class until his obligation to Jack the Giant Slayer saw him taken off that project. So it could be that, quite apart from the fact of Jack's floppiness, Singer resents the film for taking him away from the X-Men franchise (and from what, by most accounts, is one of the best X-Men films produced to date; it's tied with X2: X-Men United at 87%, and it's in second place at Metacritic with 65 (behind X2's 68)).

Could be.