Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter T Chattaway

the Terence Malick film that was once called Lawless

33 posts in this topic

Links to our threads on Badlands (1973), Days of Heaven (1978), The Thin Red Line (1998), The New World (2005), The Tree of Life (2011), To the Wonder (2012), Knight of Cups (2015) and Voyage of Time (2016).

- - -

What’s next for Terrence Malick after 'The Tree of Life'?
But compared with "Tree," whose haul of effects bogged down the production, Malick's sixth project has considerably fewer visual arabesques. And Malick himself may have offered the biggest clue as to when his new movie might be ready: He has told members of his production team to keep the summer and fall open for a possible shoot of yet another film –- which means he expects to be finished with this one in a matter of months.
Los Angeles Times, May 27

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

The Burial (or whatever it's called now) is his 6th film.

...and Hayley Bennett.

Edited by Overstreet

Actual footage of Malick in action.

As Jeffrey Wells puts it: "Garcia even caught Bale and Malick turning in his general direction and smiling. Really amazing. This is almost as exciting as foootage of a Himalayan Yeti smiling and waving at a camera. The rare footage is almost analogous, I feel, to Vivian Kubrick's footage of Stanley Kubrick shooting The Shining."

Actual footage of Malick in action.

As Jeffrey Wells puts it: "Garcia even caught Bale and Malick turning in his general direction and smiling. Really amazing. This is almost as exciting as foootage of a Himalayan Yeti smiling and waving at a camera. The rare footage is almost analogous, I feel, to Vivian Kubrick's footage of Stanley Kubrick shooting The Shining."

I was just going to bed, now I've got to nerd out for a bit.

But certainly they had to be expecting this, right? It's ACL!

Good heavens!

Time to re-title this thread as Lawless.

Showblitz:

Christian Bale and Cate Blanchett are both set to star in two upcoming Terence Malick films, both of which will be launched to buyers at the American Film Market being held this week in Santa Monica, Variety's Diana Lodderhose was first to report. The first, LAWLESS, will topline Ryan Gosling, Bale, Blanchett, Rooney Mara and, as Variety first reported, Haley Bennett (MARLEY & ME). Malick’s second pic, KNIGHT OF CUPS, will star Bale, Blanchett and Isabel Lucas (IMMORTALS, TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN.) Both pics are currently in pre-production and will shoot back-to-back in 2012. Details of the two plots are being kept under wraps but both titles will be separate narratives.
Edited by Overstreet

Any idea what artist is playing on the stage at the time? The first tune sounds so familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

Any idea what artist is playing on the stage at the time? The first tune sounds so familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

I just listened. It's Cut Copy.

Edited by Anders

Rooney Mara talks future projects, promoting 'Dragon Tattoo'

You’re reportedly involved in the next Terrence Malick film, Lawless, along with Ryan Gosling.

Yeah, that’s something that I hope to do, but it’s unfortunately not until September, so it’s a ways away.

Are you definitely going to do that?

Yeah, I hope to.

What can you tell us about it?

I can’t tell you anything! He’s one of the great filmmakers out there. After working with David, it’s really hard — the bar has been set at sort of an unreachable height. I want to work with people who have a vision and who are uncompromising in the way that they make films, and Terry is one of those people. He’s incredible. He’s one of the nicest people I’ve ever come into contact with. But I’m not going to give away his secrets. . . .

Entertainment Weekly, December 26

And a brief logline:

LAWLESS follows two intersecting love triangles. It is a story of sexual obsession and betrayal set against the music scene in Austin, Texas.

So will this be Malick's response to Michael Winterbottom's Nine Songs, then?

Why is Malick shelling em out so quickly all of the sudden? I liked it better when I had to wait years for the next one cause then it seemed like he took his time with them

Prince called and wants his thread title back.

Why is Malick shelling em out so quickly all of the sudden? I liked it better when I had to wait years for the next one cause then it seemed like he took his time with them

Word I hear is that he has a couple of patrons who are financing these films for him and that the time between previous films was partly the effort of finding financing for them. At the premiere in Toronto for TO THE WONDER, Ecky, his wife, introduced the film and particularly thanked two brothers.

On the basis of which, Malick to replace Rob Zombie as go-to director for unnecessary horror remakes...

Ethereal voiceover:'Brother...sister...why did I eat you? Whence came this hunger?'