Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Most Shocking Plot Twists in Movies

The ending of To Live and Die in L.A.

The animator's fatal heart attack in Monty Python and the Holy Grail

I'm shocked... 19 responses, and no one has yet to mention the five words that changed movies forever which are spoken in The Empire Strikes Back.

I make it four words.

Actually, I've never seen that film, but there is this really compelling plot twist in Toy Story 2, where Buzz learns something surprising about the evil emperor Zurg that...

Edited by mrmando

Mando:

You're forgetting the word that started it, "Luke," ---

Edited by Persona

I'm shocked... 19 responses, and no one has yet to mention the five words that changed movies forever which are spoken in The Empire Strikes Back.

I make it four words.

Are you leaving out the "No," that begins the sentence? Or conjoining the "I" and "am" into "I'm"? Or perhaps you refer to an earlier line by Yoda, which is also four words long and begins with, "No..."? Or, perhaps the film tilts for you earlier than that, with Han Solo's four word line, "Laugh it up, Fuzzball." :D

Mando:

You're forgetting the word that started it, "Luke," ---

I don't think that's part of the actual quote, though it IS part of the pop culture memory of the quote.

CrimsonLine wrote:

: I don't think that's part of the actual quote, though it IS part of the pop culture memory of the quote.

Huh. And here I thought it was a SIX-word quote, because I thought he said both "No" AND "Luke" first. But apparently he only said "No":

Although, the way James Earl Jones almost drags "No" into two syllables, I can sort of understand why people might think he said "Luke".

So, if this were the Darth Vader Seminar and we DIDN'T have the benefit of YouTube, how would we be voting on the "pop culture memory of the quote"? Which words would get the red beads, which the pink, and which the black? :)

Primal Fear. Freaked. Me. Out. I usually do get freaked out by

unreliable narrators, or other unreliable characters that one has trusted. I've never forgiven Agatha Christie for the stunt she pulled in Endless Night. (Talking about the book in that case; I haven't seen the movie.)

Anatomy of a Murder.

Don't Look Now. Didn't see the movie, but having read the story, I'm guessing that makes a pretty shocking movie twist.

Would you consider the end of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas a twist?

Edited by Gina

the second bourne movie,

where marie gets shot. i simply never expected that. it was shocking in its matter-of-factness.

Edited by techne