Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overstreet

2011 Halftime Report - Movies

36 posts in this topic

By the way, what the hell is a "Pruitt-Igoe Myth"? You're not allowed to top-10 a film I haven't even heard of. ;)

M, have you seen Monte Hellman's Road to Nowhere yet? If not, it might throw another wrinkle in your list-making plans.

Edited by Darren H

Darren H wrote:

: By the way, what the hell is a "Pruitt-Igoe Myth"? You're not allowed to top-10 a film I haven't even heard of. ;)

FWIW, we don't have a thread on that film yet, but we do have at least one post on it (with a trailer) in our thread on Koyaanisqatsi, here.

My top 2011 movies, in order:

TREE OF LIFE (hands down #1, IMO)

A BETTER LIFE

MIDNIGHT IN PARIS

MONEYBALL

SENNA

QUEEN TO PLAY

Still need to see:

THE MILL AND THE CROSS (only played for one week in Portland and I couldn't find anyone to go see it with me at the time)

MYSTERIES OF LISBON

TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY

I saw HUGO over the weekend, but was disappointed.

Didn't care much for MEEK'S CUTOFF, WIN WIN, or several of the other 2011 films mentioned here (I'm thinking of this year's releases only), but I'm pretty picky.

By the way, what the hell is a "Pruitt-Igoe Myth"? You're not allowed to top-10 a film I haven't even heard of. ;)

M, have you seen Monte Hellman's Road to Nowhere yet? If not, it might throw another wrinkle in your list-making plans.

I am not a documentary watcher, but Pruitt-Igoe was stunning.

Road to Nowhere is on my list for next weekish.

I wonder if Pruitt-Igoe met the qualifications for Oscar consideration since it's not on the short list and some that I've seen that made that list are not near as good.

Re-posting a post of mine from the evening of November 28 that got lost during the recent transition:

- - -

cascadeofwater wrote:

: Okay, but using that criteria makes the list produced here out of reach for the average viewer.

You make it sound like this thread is about some sort of official list that will get published somewhere. It isn't. It's a thread in which each person can make whatever list they want according to whatever criteria they want. As long as everyone is clear on what criteria, exactly, they are using, I don't see a problem here.

: The release date I refer to is the 'USA release date' shown on IMDB.

But if you live in Portland, you're probably seeing lots of films in 2011 that had a 'USA release date' in 2010 (e.g. Oscar contenders that get limited releases in December and then go wide in January or February). So there isn't even any single kind of 'USA release date'.

: . . . a festival release date . . .

<nitpick> "Festival release" is an oxymoron. Festival screenings are stand-alone events and generally not part of any sort of "release". </nitpick>

Life has gotten in the way of movies the last few weeks. As I start playing catchup, which of these do I need to see before I finalize my top films of the year list?

• Hugo
  • In the Land of Blood and Money
  • The Artist (OK, this is high on my list no matter what you say)
  • Tintin
  • Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
  • A Dangerous Method
  • Albert Nobbs
  • J. Edgar
  • My Week with Marilyn
  • Carnage
  • Young Adult

Life has gotten in the way of movies the last few weeks. As I start playing catchup, which of these do I need to see before I finalize my top films of the year list?

• Hugo
  • Tintin
  • A Dangerous Method
  • Albert Nobbs
  • J. Edgar
  • My Week with Marilyn
  • Carnage
  • Young Adult

All of them. Sorry, but it's true.

FWIW, Darrel, I've only seen three of those films, and none of those three are in my top ten. And I'll be lucky if I see more than two of the other seven before I publish my list. There just isn't time.

But then again, none of my lists are ever "finalized." They're all in a constant state of revision.

Edited by Overstreet

• Hugo
  • Tintin
  • A Dangerous Method
  • Albert Nobbs
  • J. Edgar
  • My Week with Marilyn
  • Carnage
  • Young Adult

Just curious, Darrel, as to which of these you've seen, or still intend to see, since posting.

• Hugo
  • Tintin
  • A Dangerous Method
  • Albert Nobbs
  • J. Edgar
  • My Week with Marilyn
  • Carnage
  • Young Adult

Just curious, Darrel, as to which of these you've seen, or still intend to see, since posting.

Caught up to (so far):

Hugo

The Artist

Tintin

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

A Dangerous Method

J. Edgar

Carnage