Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

American Idol

170 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Yep, don't throw rocks at me. I thought someone had to start the thread...

Posted · Report post

Ah, another Idol fan outted, with no urging from me or Diane. cool.gif

The answer is, of course, Fantasia. I loved Simon's comment to Fantasia last night: "We do this show in 70 countries around the world. This is our third season. And we've never had a contestant better than you."

She is amazing. Too bad they're saddling the winner with one Tamyra's cliched songs. I liked Tamyra as a contestant, but her songwriting is formulaic and full of feel-good platitudes.

Posted · Report post

No rock throwing here, run.

I second everything Christian just said.

Posted · Report post

The very first time I heard Diana sing I was blown away (that first night, I picked her as a contender for the title), but she has been less impressive in the middle part of this competition. At first, Fantasia seemed good but too full of attitude.

But wow -- I mean WOW. Not last night (which was okay), but last week: she was phenomenal. Until last week, I still thought LaToya was the best singer this season. Now, it's clear that Fantasia is a potential superstar.

Posted · Report post

I can't watch Idol--the format annoys me and the music generally isn't my style--but it's inescapable, especially around here, where for the second season in a row, one of the two finalists is from North Carolina. So EVERY local newscast, not just the CBS/FOX channels, includes Fantasia updates. I confess, simply out of state pride, DH and I sorta hope she wins smile.gif

On the other hand, we've gotten tired of hearing about "Clay-niacs"--we suspect Ruben really was better.

Posted · Report post

Is American Idol the appropriate title for such a contest? It should be called "The Making of a media driven American idol." OR "Media Idol" OR "In Search of the next Michael Bolton or Mariah Carey."

These people are vocalists and they will be made into media sensations. Are any of them truly deserving of a title such as "American Idol"?

I addition to the above comments, they rarely give these "idol" wannabes anything good to sing and the group performances often look like a Brady Bunch Family singers show.

Posted · Report post

And as we have seen, it is not the winner whose career takes off. So far the most publicity has been with Clay. Where is Kelly these days? She killed her career when she did the Justin and Kelly beach movie. Of course, she was a pre-fabed media sensation for Simon to guarantee millions in sales, make the profit and get out. Next!

Posted · Report post

So, Fantasia wins. Good choice, and she'll do well. It's hard to believe she's only 19.

They didn't announce what percentage of votes she got, but with 65-million votes cast, she may have convinced more voters than either Bush or Kerry!

Posted (edited) · Report post

So, Fantasia wins. Good choice, and she'll do well. It's hard to believe she's only 19.

They didn't announce what percentage of votes she got, but with 65-million votes cast, she may have convinced more voters than either Bush or Kerry!

Can't voters vote as often as they want? If so, then who is to say how many dupliate votes were cast. If you wanted your daughter, sibling, grandchild, niece, etc to win wouldn't you call and call and call again?

Even with all the votes Reuben, Clay and Kelly received they haven't sold that many albums.

Fantasia for president! wink.gif

Edited by asher

Posted · Report post

Depends on what you mean by "many," Asher. The most recent "AI" sales stats I've seen -- and I wish I could find the article right now to confirm these figures, but it's eluding me -- tell me Clay has sold 2.5 MILLION copies of his debut album; Kelly is at 1.7 million; and Ruben at 1.3 million.

Posted · Report post

The real winners are surely the telecoms. 65-million extra calls or text messages in one day can't hurt!

Posted · Report post

Depends on what you mean by "many," Asher. The most recent "AI" sales stats I've seen -- and I wish I could find the article right now to confirm these figures, but it's eluding me -- tell me Clay has sold 2.5 MILLION copies of his debut album; Kelly is at 1.7 million; and Ruben at 1.3 million.

The "many" I was referring to was the "65-million" many.

They didn't sell anywhere near that yet that is how many votes, translated into fans, on American Idol. You would think 65-million votes would provide a few more record sales.

Another interesting thing about the "Idol" releases is that they set sales records (debuts, single day, etc.). This kind of scews the actual real artist releases wink.gif

Posted · Report post

The real winners are surely the telecoms. 65-million extra calls or text messages in one day can't hurt!

The telecom industry may benefit but due to all of the calling packages out these days (minutes, unlimited long distance, toll free numbers, etc) they will not benefit as much as the ones that will be collecting royalties!

Posted · Report post

Time for a little affirmative action (reg. required) over at American Idol:

Jan. 14, 2005 | LOS ANGELES (AP) -- "American Idol" turned into the battle of the divas last season. This year, male contestants are getting a little help. In a bid to freshen the Fox series as it begins its fourth season Tuesday -- and to even the playing field dominated in 2004 by female songbirds -- half of the 24 semifinalist spots are promised to men.

Posted · Report post

I wonder if this thread will catch fire this year. Doubt it, but I'll be watching -- I always do blushing.gif -- and am happy to discuss.

Tonight's guest judge: Gene Simmons, from KISS.

Say, that reminds me. Last week some guy who sings lead vocals for a hard rock/heavy metal band auditioned and, apparently, made it through to Hollywood. I didn't see his audition, but I caught Ryan Seacrest's visit to the band's rehearsal, during which he broke the news to the other bandmates that their lead singer had successfully auditioned to be the next American Idol.

My questions: What song did the guy sing? Did he stick to something in the hard-rock genre, or did he go all

Posted · Report post

Last night, Nadia Turner stepped on to the American Idol stage for her semi-final audition, and her song choice floored me. Rather than sing some stock power ballad, she unleashed her rendition of Power of Love, a little-known song by my favorite Christian singer: Ashley Cleveland.

And with that bold statement of Christian conviction, which she pulled off in dazzling fashion, she dislodged Carrie Underwood as my personal favorite to win the contest.

Now we

Posted · Report post

Our esteemed American Idols aren

Posted · Report post

I

Posted · Report post

That's 'cuz you're a freak. ;)

Posted · Report post

That's 'cuz you're a freak. ;)

We are LEGION, my friend. :) In fact, I'm pleased to report that Tom Shales has done one of his customary turnabouts, with today's ode to the greatness of American Idol:

Ironically or not, the "competition" part of the show's format sometimes seems a mere formality, even a nuisance. Past winners have for the most part been unimaginative mediocrities, no matter how many records they go on to sell. Rather it's in the early stages, such as last night and tonight's editions, that the show is at its most endearing and irresistible, when viewers tune in hoping not to catch a brilliant new star in the ascent but rather to savor an array of ghastly disasters, people who have no more business singing in public than your Aunt Minnie but who audition for the competition anyway.

When the show started, this aspect of it seemed awfully mean-spirited -- humiliation television, cruelty as entertainment -- but the program is such a familiar part of pop culture now that all contestants have to be aware of what they're getting into -- and in fact, some try to be even worse than they really are, feigning pain but reveling in the attention when assailed. They want and get their saucy little scoldings from the three dubiously expert judges: Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and the show's star scowler, Simon Cowell, seemingly merciless in his pistol-whip putdowns of the arguably defenseless (to a fatty in a green shirt last night: "You look like the Incredible Hulk's wife").

Posted · Report post

I watched the 'trials' in Greensboro last night. Partially in response to the outcry that Callow is homophobic and the attention from GLAAD.

He still remains one of the best on-the-fly retortmeisters I've ever seen. I laughed incessantly.

"Just what American Idol needs--Sylvester Stallone's younger sister."

Posted · Report post

The son of one of our long-time church members appeared on the Vegas audition show last week. My wife and I were watching and recognized the kid immediately. We were horrified. He was one of the evenings most delusional and embarassing auditions.(Simon and Co. had a blast goofing on him and egging him on)The most frightening thing is, his proud dad has been going around the church for the last few days with a DVD of the clip, forcing people to watch it and commenting about how his son is really an "unrecognized musical genius", etc... ::w00t::

Like father, like son!

Posted · Report post

The son of one of our long-time church members appeared on the Vegas audition show last week. My wife and I were watching and recognized the kid immediately. We were horrified. He was one of the evenings most delusional and embarassing auditions.(Simon and Co. had a blast goofing on him and egging him on)The most frightening thing is, his proud dad has been going around the church for the last few days with a DVD of the clip, forcing people to watch it and commenting about how his son is really an "unrecognized musical genius", etc... ::w00t::

Like father, like son!

If you can say... which one was he?

Posted · Report post

Ha! I was afraid someone was gonna ask. He was one character who unfortunately gave his full name on the show--David Manz*k... He was the catatonic dude with the baseball cap singing the Back Street Boys song. His proud dad has been dropping by the church office this week with DVD AND VHS in hand, ready to show anyone who'll give him the time. My wife, who runs our churches preschool, caught up with him today. What is most concerning is that dad thinks his son gave an impressive performance. Love is tone-deaf, I suppose.