Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
run

American Idol

170 posts in this topic

I'm new here. But I will admit to watching AI. (Admit to it...heck, I post about it in my Xanga, and last year I was one of the hosts of the Spoiler Thread on the official AI boards...) This year, though, I'm really put off by the audition process, probably because I have read too much about it. It is designed to humiliate the pastor's kids out there...and it's mean-spirited.

Once we get past the audition shows, and start on Hollywood, I always feel better. In the next week or so, I'll even begin identifying favorites. Then, it becomes a show I can get behind. Then, Simon doesn't seem as cruel, because the playing ground is more even, and we are looking at talented kids to find an Idol.

But yeah. I watch it. I admit it. ::blush::

OK, I'll admit that I still watch it, too. And once again, Birmingham is representing (for now, at least). But will the silver-haired Taylor Hicks make it into the finals?

Taylor's cool.

We're lovin' this show again. I mean, really -- how many programs incite you to scream at the TV, not because the programs suck, but because the people on the screen simply need to be told, in no uncertain terms, that they're untalented, or insufferable? I realize they can't hear me, but maybe if I screamed just a little bit louder...

Best line from last night, and one of the all-time greatest quotes from American Idol:

"My spirit ... has been broken."

("Then GET OFF THE STAGE!" Hamaker shouts.)

But will the silver-haired Taylor Hicks make it into the finals?

YES!

One of my friends saw Taylor Hicks perform at her church here last year, and she said he and his band were really great. He was certainly rocking that harmonica last night. I wonder how many people thought that was cool and how many people were bugged by it...?

Edited by Diane

I thought Mandisa's comments were sincere. It appears to me that Simon's comments hurt her feelings, and she was consoled by friends, perhaps her Pastor, and the Holy Spirit toward that response. I'm glad she said it.

What about that weird "I forgive you because Jesus died for me" bit? Trite? Sincere? Its effect was interesting, with Simon saying he felt about 1mm tall...

I went to a movie last night missed the show, but my wife said this comment made her cry.

We've turned into a household of crybabies.

I found a NPR website that had 3 songs off Taylor's album. I'm debating on ordering it.

I'd hope he wins, but that's a bit too generous, I think.

Pick Pickler... I love that girl.

::blush:: Oh yes. She is my favorite on many, many levels.

I went to a movie last night missed the show, but my wife said this comment made her cry.
I didn't tear up at that, but I certainly got a lump in my throat when the real geeky kid came out of the elevator to tell his mom and dad he was going to Hollywood.

We could save a lot of time, say that Kellie and Ace are going to the finals, and just move on...

::w00t::

Edited by Robinflamingo

I thought Mandisa's comments were sincere. It appears to me that Simon's comments hurt her feelings, and she was consoled by friends, perhaps her Pastor, and the Holy Spirit toward that response. I'm glad she said it.

BP News has a good article on her. According to it, she "...is a regular worship leader at Beth Moore

Idol Chatter - The Girls

This is a very important week, as it will bring us finally into the Top Twelve. Two more girls will go, and two more boys this week...and as in other years, it's very unpredictable.

Here, then, is my one liner wrap up:

Paris - She'll stay because of her personality. Judges didn't love her, but people do. She was good. Not great this week, but fun.

Lisa - She looked really pretty, hair straightened - in fact, she looked and sounded older than a teen tonight, which will work in her favor. She'll stay, but I'm still not a fan.

Melissa - I like her more each week. Simon thought she shouted her way thru Heart, I just thought she sang it 70's. But I'm old...

Kinnik - She was out of tune. She'll go this week, I predict.

Katharine - Oh, good...the Kissy Face Kutie Pie Katharine was back! I missed her last week! She sounded just a little anemic on my favorite Aretha song, but the X factor was back.

Ayla - Not a great singer's song tonight, but she did very well with it. She also made Ryan look 5 foot nuthin', since she wore HEELS. HUGE heels. Hehehehe.

Mandisa - First of all, she dressed well tonight. Secondly, she sang "I'm every woman", and thirdly, she is now solidly my favorite. She ROCKS.

Kellie - Putting a flame graphic on the screen doesn't make someone exciting. I was again not impressed.

So, to summarize: GREAT - Mandisa, Katharine. GOOD - Paris, Lisa, Melissa, Ayla. GONE - Kinnik, Kellie (If I had my way. It'll probably be Kinnik and Melissa...but....)

Edited by Robinflamingo

[so, to summarize: GREAT - Mandisa, Katharine. GOOD - Paris, Lisa, Melissa, Ayla. GONE - Kinnik, Kellie (If I had my way. It'll probably be Kinnik and Melissa...but....)

Kellie

Simon said it best when he described Mandisa's performance as being on an entirely different level. No one else even came close to her last night.

Idol Chatter - The Boys

It's getting to be time to choose your overall favorite...tonight the Final Twelve are chosen, and the boys and girls begin to go Head to Head. Here are my final comments on the Boys:

Gedeon - a rough, pitchy start this week, being first, but our "Old Soul" of Motown Soul righted himself and did "aight", dog.

Chris - Wow...he was hunky with hair...but he's hot without it!! He rocked...as usual.

Kevin - Chicken Little references were 100% absent last night, and Little Kevin sang "Vincent" - ballads suit him, but his weaknesses are starting to show.

Bucky - Unremarkable country performance. He has a twin. Even two of them made me yawn.

Will - Sounded like the winner at a karaoke performance last night, but geez, he's so darned CUTE.

Taylor - This man is pulling himself out into a singular position as memorable, playing to his Michael McDonald strengths. I loved him.

Elliot - We learn HIS sob story - he's 90% deaf in one ear (and yet has better intonation than half the contestants!) He's terrific - beautiful voice.

Ace - He left his beanie on tonight, and channeled Michael Jackson's falsetto. I now think more of his technical abilities than I did before, which I think was the point.

SO...here's the Three G Scale:

GREAT - Taylor, Elliot, Ace, Chris. GOOD - Gedeon, Kevin. GONE - Bucky and Will. Again, I will temper this with the possibility that it will be Bucky and Kevin - they are nearly interchangeable at this point.

Just for the record, Will, Gedeon, Ayla, and Kinnik all got the heave-ho this week.

(Gedeon was the surprise for me - it was down to him and Bucky, and when they announced Bucky had survived, I had a mouth-dropping moment.)

No big surprises this week, although I would

BTW, if you didn't already know, Chris is a worship leader in his church. .

He's a Christian? How totally and utterly cool.

Well, either that, or his church has really, really low standards.

Well, we are talking about "praise and worship" music.... ;-)

I heard rumors that Creed was going to do their own reality show to find a new singer, but they decided they will sign Chris Daughtry instead.

I heard rumors that Creed was going to do their own reality show to find a new singer, but they decided they will sign Chris Daughtry instead.

What bothered me about the whole performance with him tonight was that they never gave proper credit to the "artist" that came up with that rendition of Cash's I Walk The Line - Live.

Of course, if Paula Abdul calls you a true artist, what exactly does that mean in the long run?

I really hope Kevin is gone after this week. I'm worried that he's getting too much of an ego with the attention he is receiving, and at his age, that's not a good thing. He doesn't really have the kind of long-lasting talent that some of the better contestants have.

Edited by Clint M

The American Idol contestants seems to have collected into four packs, like a bicycle race.

The leaders, (by a long shot)

Chris Daughtry

Mandisa

Within Striking Distance

Taylor Hicks

Katherine McPhee

Paris Bennet

The Pack

Elliott Yamin

Kelly Pickler

Lisa Tucker

Ace Young

Barely Pedaling

Kevin Cobais

Bucky Covington

Regardless of my feelings expressed above, I think Lisa Tucker, Bucky Covington and Elliott will be the bottom three (maybe sub in Ace for Elliott). Elliott's certainly good, but is he anybody's favorite? THAT's what keeps you on the show.

What bothered me about the whole performance with him tonight was that they never gave proper credit to the "artist" that came up with that rendition of Cash's I Walk The Line - Live.
Ditto last week too, when Chris said blatantly on the pre-video that he was gonna sing a Stevie song covered in the 90's by Red Hot Chili Peppers... After his performance, the judges appeared blown away by his " very original" rendition! Apparently the judges don't know middle of the road, 90's alternative rock hits that well.

Alan, I mentioned Chris' church connection to a co-worker, but she's skeptical and wants proof.

You promised a link?

My wife found a set list from his worship group. She hasn't sent it to me yet. But -- WHY would your coworker be skeptical?

I overstated it, maybe. She wrote me an e-mail:

How in the WORLD do you know that? Or are you just making it up?

I thought I should back up the claim with some evidence. That's all.

On Chris' webpage (at idolonfox.com) he expresses his desire to thank God (before his wife and so on). His personal goal is "to have a successful marriage and be a good father".

Just google "'Chris Daughtry' Christian" and you'll get plenty of backup. His band is called "Absent Element".

Television without pity might have more info.

I'll go check those sites. Thanks.