Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
run

American Idol

170 posts in this topic

It's funny, but I have heard Mandisa leads worship as well. For a beth Moore bible study, in fact. Going hunting for proof.

BTW, one of the Google links that came up had these words in the description portion under the link:

It's funny, but I have heard Mandisa leads worship as well. For a beth Moore bible study, in fact. Going hunting for proof.

I knew Crosswalk had an article on her, but I can't seem to find it. However, Reality TV Magazine's Blog has some information about her professional involvement as a worship leader/background singer.

Edited by Clint M

Elliot's one of the best voices, but I gotta wonder is anybody think he's the best?! Is he anybody's favorite? He's like Jennifer Hutson (two years ago)? He's flying to far under the radar.

And the teeth don't help.

:)

Wow. This must be an old thread... comments about Fantasia possibly winning American Idol...

As far as the current season goes, my bet is on Catherine McPhee.

Elliot's one of the best voices, but I gotta wonder is anybody think he's the best?! Is he anybody's favorite? He's like Jennifer Hutson (two years ago)? He's flying to far under the radar.

And the teeth don't help.

:)

After this week? No. Not even close.

Bah, this week was strange. After two weeks of decent to some mind-blowing performances, it seems like everyone bombed out this week in regards to both performances and song selection. Taylor's was a little inspired, but Paris trying to take on a Beyonce song? A bad Beyonce song? And then booty-shaking her way through it? Yikes.

I agree with Simon about Chris - either show off that you have some diversity in your voice, or expect to leave soon. He's got to have another style he's very good at.

Personally, I'm hoping the final 2 are Taylor and Mandisa. Don't think it will happen, though. (Although they are both from the South!)

Edited by Clint M

but Paris trying to take on a Beyonce song? A bad Beyonce song? And then booty-shaking her way through it? Yikes.

AMEN. That was a BIG disappointment. But hey, that girl can sang. Just wish she'd avoid the raunchy stuff. It's not her strength.

Personally, I'm hoping the final 2 are Taylor and Mandisa.

I'm right there with you.

Don't think it will happen, though.

I'm beginning to wonder. They're the two most likable of the bunch, and that goes a long way, I think. Mandisa wasn't at her best last night, but she was better than the first three that went last night, and almost as good as Taylor. I doubt she'll be in the bottom three, although I do wonder if the outright praise stuff might make the majority of the audience uncomfortable. I'm all for boldness in one's faith, but "American Idol" is not a church service.

Here are my predictions to what the contestants will sing in next weeks country theme:

Mandisa - I'll Fly Away

Bucky - Man. I feel like a woman

Chris D - Butterfly Kisses

Paris - some Dixie Chicks song like Sin Wagon

Pickler - Workin' 9-5

Ace Young - Drops of Jupiter (country-style with a twang)

Katherine McPhee - Blue (Lee Ann Rymes)

Taylor Hicks - Sweet Home Alabama

Elliot Yamin - Friends in Low Places

Oooh, I love these choices, since these are three of my four favs:

Katherine McPhee - Blue (Lee Ann Rymes)

Taylor Hicks - Sweet Home Alabama

Elliot Yamin - Friends in Low Places

Mandisa is my #1 pick, and frankly, I just want her to sing something big, and move past country week because Kellie Jo Bob and Bucky Roy Lee are making me nervous.

I thought it was a great night for AI, not as far as memorable performances go, but as a great test of genuine singing ability. Most of these contestants lean a little too comfortably on their R&B riffing-- which is usually a vital attribute for them week-to-week -- but a convincing modern pop/country delivery requires a lot less affectation and a little more reliance on melody and subtle phrasing. It was interesting to hear several who normally tear it up in the R&B niche, flounder around trying to sing clear melodies-- most noticably Paris who looked scared and uncertain. The hands down winner last night for me was Elliot, who I thought was excellent. And as much as I hate to admit it, Ace-- who is not a strong singer at all-- also turned in a beautiful performance. Next in line was Katherine, who provides such a compelling visual that I cant remember her singing a single note.

Edited by coltrane

Oh, my what a terrible night. As...much...as...I...hate...to...say...it...........................................................................................................

kelliepicklerdidthebest

Yes on this, but as for the rest, you're WAY OFF, Alan. :)

Good song choice makes all the difference. I'm not convinced she can sing, though. Better for her to choose Reba than Martina McBride.

Also disappointing: Bucky! I though he would NAIL this week. At least he got to wear his hat.

I thought he did fine, but wouldn't be surprised if he was in the bottom three. After the other dreadful performances last night, I would be surprised to see Bucky go tonight.

Chris Daughtry did very well, too. He demonstrated an unseen versatility and (perhaps most importantly) he connected with the country-lovin' voting base by identifying country roots.

Hey, I'm agreeing with you more than I realized after first reading through your post.

Elliott. Did he sing tonight? I've forgotten already.

Thought he was one of the best, but also rather forgettable. I'd hate to see him bow out this soon.

Katharine's going to fall through the cracks. Sigh.

Now you're just in Crazy Land, Alan. I'm not Katharine's biggest fan, but she was by far the best last night. I think she'll sail through.

Mandisa was off, but she did as well as could be expected, I think. Weird song choice.

I'm a little worried about her. She was off, but watching the clips at the end of the show, I was reminded of just how much better of a singer she is than most of the others. Not a good song choice.

Paris looked human for a change, but she messed up a few times on the song.

Yeah, she blew it.

Bottom three for me (this week only): Taylor, Bucky, Mandisa. How weird is THAT?

Pretty weird. I think Taylor especially, and maybe Mandisa, are still well liked enough to squeak through, even with weak performances. Bucky might be among the bottom three, maybe the bottom two. But last?

Top three:

Pickler

, Chris, maybe...Katharine? The first two are solid. Third is pretty distant.

Agreed, although we aren't privy to the "top three" each week, only the bottom three.

Coltrane wrote:

thought it was a great night for AI, not as far as memorable performances go. ... The hands down winner last night for me was Elliot, who I thought was excellent. And as much as I hate to admit it, Ace-- who is not a strong singer at all-- also turned in a beautiful performance. Next in line was Katherine, who provides such a compelling visual that I cant remember her singing a single note.

A "great night"? Man, what show were you watching? :) ACE??? He was Terrible, with a capital

Edited by Christian

How could I forget to post this amusing take on the vital subject of

A "great night"? Man, what show were you watching? :)
Again, i thought it was a great show only insofar as it showed the frontrunner contestants being stretched outside of their comfort zone. To me, that's fun to watch.
ACE??? He was Terrible, with a capital

I thought Ace provided one of the evenings more genuine, heartfelt performances... and no, sir he was not singing out of key for most of the song. :D However, Chris was as flat as a pancake.

:new_argue: I will take you down to Chinatown!

OK, I went out on a limb here in the office and predicted a surprising Bottom 3. Let's see how far off I am:

Paris

Ace

Elliot

Going Home: Ace

--Mind you, I don't think Elliot should be in the Bottom 3, but I predict he will be.

My bottom three prediction:

Mandissa

Bucky

and the shocker of the evening...

CHRIS! (Yes! The guy is as emotive as Burl Ives with a tissue paper thin timbre when not shrieking like a Stapp/Cher wannabe)

And while Mandisa was voted off (boo!), here's something interesting I found at TV Guide:

Is American Idol finalist Mandisa homophobic?

We'd love to be able to say it ain't so, but we can't say anything for sure until the plus-size powerhouse has been eliminated and the show's gag order lifted. But the evidence against her is mounting. In introducing the religious-themed "Wanna Praise You" on Tuesday's episode, she said, "This song goes out to everybody that wants to be free. Your addiction, lifestyle or situation may be big, but God is bigger!" What's more, in her personal profile on Idol's official website, she calls antigay author/lecturer Beth Moore her own "idol." An Idol rep reminds us that "we don't comment on the personal lives of our contestants." An industry insider, meanwhile, sniffs: "Does she really think she can have a career without us gay boys?" I believe Donna Summer has the answer to that question.

:cuss: ::blowup::

In other news, the American Idol voting hack/website DialIdol.com has predicted the losers correctly this week. They've gotten pretty close a few weeks (but it's not completely fool-proof.) You may want to check it out.

Edited by Clint M

C'mon, Queen has many potentially great AI songs.

Don't Stop Me Now

Good Ole Fashion Loverboy

Somebody To Love

Play The Game

Fat Bottom Girls (the song that Mandisa was born to sing....ok I just looked up the lyrics...nevermind)

Just read this in Television Without Pity's recaplet of last night's show, and it made me laugh. (I'll cut out the colorful language.) Describing Kenny Rogers' performance last night:

What's Left Of Kenny Rogers sings one of those...country songs with the clever wordplay, all, "I can't unthink about you, I can't not unremember the unthinking rememories of whatever."
Edited by Diane

I got two of the Bottom 3 right, but the one I missed was a pretty big miss. (Or, if you

Edited by Christian

Unbelievable moment from Paula last night that isn

By

Edited by Christian

Predictions: Ace, Bucky, and Paris...bottom three. Bye bye to Bucky.

Predictions: Ace, Bucky, and Paris...bottom three. Bye bye to Bucky.

Close! Ace, Bucky, and Elliott were the bottom three... and Bucky went bye-bye.

Of all the weeks to send Bucky home, why this one? Ace did worse than Bucky did this week.

Yep those were my Ms Cleo predictions....as much as I wanted someone to sing Fat Bottom Girls...he sang it without any controversy nor any humor and it also hurt him that he went first.

Unless Paris chooses a decent song that fits her, I think she will go next week. I liked her alot in the beginning of the season, but her performances now are almost starting to become nails on chalkboard....Wind Beneath My Wings, How Do I Live, That Booty Shakin' Thang.....damn wasted talent on such crappy songs.

But if Paris does get booted, watch out for the race card to come out since the rest of the field is very very white.

I like Katharine McPhee the best. I hope they have Aretha week cause she sings those Aretha songs really well.

Edited by run