Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

Update:

According to the report the film will be called Inside Llewyn Davis, which comes from an original script which will be directed and produced by the Coen Bros. The story "centers around Llewyn Davis' struggles as a folk musician during the genre's 1960s heyday in New York City."

We previously reported that the film would be loosely based on the life of Dave van Ronk. Who was known as "the uncle of the coffeehouse scene, a big personality famed for his musical acumen, left-wing politics, general erudition and entertaining storytelling. On his watch, era-defining musicians such as Phil Ochs, Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell were discovered and cultivated. Van Ronk also was a noted blues guitarist in his own right." He died in 2002 at the age of 66, but his legacy lived on with his memoir published posthumously three years later titled "The Mayor of MacDougal Street", which is said to be part of the basis of the film.

Overstreet wrote:

: I immediately recognize his name as Joseph from The Nativity Story. I'm not sure what else he's done.

You didn't recognize him in Drive? ... Huh, just double-checked your review of that one. Nope, you don't mention him or his character in there.

Overstreet wrote:

: I immediately recognize his name as Joseph from The Nativity Story. I'm not sure what else he's done.

You didn't recognize him in Drive? ... Huh, just double-checked your review of that one. Nope, you don't mention him or his character in there.

Nope. Didn't recognize him at all there. Somehow the name slipped past me in the credits unrecognized. I blame that flowery cursive font.

Coen Brothers Screen 2013 Entry “Inside Llewyn Davis”

I know we’re all obsessed with our 2012 Oscar films. But one movie is done and ready but won’t be seen officially for some time. I’m told Joel and Ethan Coen screened their pretty much finished “Inside Llewyn Davis” film for family and friends in the last few days. The film is set around 1960 in Greenwich Village, and stars Oscar Isaac as a stand in for real life folk musician Dave von Ronk.

Featured in the film are Carey Mulligan and Justin Timberlake as a couple– but Mulligan’s character is romantically linked to Isaac’s. Timberlake is said to be an old fashioned folkie, a la the Lettermen.

“He’s very clean cut in the movie, and square,” says a viewer. John Goodman plays a druggie. Garrett Hedlund, fresh from “On the Road”–set in the same period–is described as his “valet.”

The film got raves from those who saw it, but it’s also said to be unlike most Coen brothers movies– no violence, no sex, no weird irony.”It made me cry,” says one viewer. . . .

Roger Friedman, December 18

Interview: Oscar Isaac Talks "10 Years," the Coen Brothers' "Inside Llewyn Davis," and Jamming with Justin Timberlake

After 10 Years, you have the Coen brothers movie coming out, Inside Llewyn Davis.

Yeah, I am thrilled about it. I think it is an incredible movie. It's one of the most personal and intimate movies. I’m really excited about everything that is going on around it, as far as the music side of it—the performances, the soundtrack release, and all of those aspects.

Did you get to write some of your own music for that as well?

No, it takes place in the '60s, and it’s all focused on all old folk songs that have been passed down for years and years and years, so there actually aren’t any new songs in there.

On set, did you ever jam with Justin Timberlake?

Definitely! We got to go to the studio beforehand with Justin Timberlake and Marcus Mumford, who were a big part of the recording of the music, and we got to jam and play a whole lot. It was just heaven.

What was that collaboration like?

I couldn’t have dreamed of a better scenario with Justin and Marcus. Also, the Coens are incredibly collaborative and incredibly excited to impart their story and what they have learned throughout the years. They would tell me about a performer I should look into or a movie that they really like, and it was really inspirational. . . .

Complex, December 18

Finally - footage! I read a draft of this screenplay on Thanksgiving 2011, so I've been waiting for this new Coen bros. film a long time. An odd trailer though - I wonder if it was made solely for that private screening last month ("one night only"?) I'm still waiting for a premiere date. I've seen both Feb. 8 and a showing at Cannes in May mentioned.

So cool to see John Goodman in a Coen movie again. And who would have thought Tonto from almost 40 years ago is still working in the biz? wink.png

Edited by Mark R.Y.

Wow. Whaddya know. From the trailers (which I thought were very underwhelming), I was expecting INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS to receive a lukewarm critical response. Glad to see that's not the case.

New trailer. I didn't recognize Carey Mulligan the first time she appeared. Timberlake still looks like JT in a costume, though.

T-Bone Burnett and Jack White want to take the show on the road.

“The benefit we’re doing in New York, Jack and I want to take it out [on a] tour benefitting that with a lot of these cool young [acoustically-based] musicians maybe nobody knows. Maybe it can be one of those things where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and the water rises and all the boats rise with it.”

T-Bone Burnett and Jack White want to take the show on the road.

“The benefit we’re doing in New York, Jack and I want to take it out [on a] tour benefitting that with a lot of these cool young [acoustically-based] musicians maybe nobody knows. Maybe it can be one of those things where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and the water rises and all the boats rise with it.”

I don't know if Joel and Ethan are being tongue-in-cheek as they often are, but I'm HIGHLY intrigued by this tidbit in the article:

If Burnett's next project will be to take that music on the road, the Coens said they are planning some highly unusual, nostalgic wrinkles for what they do next.

"They used to ship big, important Hollywood movies with an overture reel, with no picture and an overture when you're going into the theater," said Ethan Coen. "We're hoping the next movie we do, which is kind of about an opera singer, and which we're hoping will also have an intermission, we can send an overture reel."

Added Joel, "We thought, 'Let's write a movie that has an intermission, because we haven't seen that in a while.' Ethan said to me while we were [writing] it, 'You know, traditionally, movies with an intermission, you come back for the second half and it's not as good as the first half. So we should try to work that into the screenplay.'"