Sign in to follow this  

Face/Off

I'm not sure on the ethics of this, but I do say this...

ick

I don't think I'd want a dead person's face. Though I might feel differently if I was badly scarred. I wonder if the patients can choose whose face they want?

Too weird.

I love this movie ...

... but I do have to ask if Nic Cage and John Travolta are really soooooooo similar that Travolta's wife would never notice the difference when they made love. (I want to make a bad double entendre about that one surgeon's line about fixing the one character's 'love handles', but I won't.)

I just loved Face/Off when I first saw it. But every time after I increasingly became more incredulous over the premise. To the point that I couldn't enjoy any thing else about it. Haven't seen it for years now.

Always compared it to a burnt, bad tasting summer bar-b-que. Would've had some zing to it if it hadn't been so cotton pickin' overdone.

-s.

You betcha. Of course, who has the audacity to sign up as a donor? I'm not sure I would wish my face on anyone...

Story here

On the other hand tho' it does looks like someone has already taken your face off and put it in a jar. wink.gif

I always thought it was a crap name for a film. Its a bit like calling Jurassic Park something like "Making Dinosaurs from amber encapsulated mosquitos"

Matt

Today's Top 5 list:

The Top 5 Drawbacks of Face Transplants

5> If you happen to get one of Michael Jackson's old ones,

you could never teach third grade again.

4> Saving face now requires dry ice and extra attic space.

3> Local punks keep stealing the jar by Eleanor Rigby's door.

2> When you do a face-plant while riding your mountain bike,

it's embarrassing having to send a Secret Service agent

back to pick it up.

and Topfive.com's Number 1 Drawback of Face Transplants...

1> You wanted Mary Kate, but dammit, they gave you Ashley!

Local punks keep stealing the jar by Eleanor Rigby's door.

LOL! biggrin.gif Oh, that is a good one.

For the record, I've always loved Face/Off precisely because its premise is so hilariously outrageous and yet the filmmakers and the actors take it SO SERIOUSLY. I actually care about that couple. The action is well-directed. The cast is perfectly chosen. And it's one of the few cases in which Travolta, Cage, and Woo have really seemed to be working in the last decade.

I attended a seminar with Dallas Willard a few years ago in which he posited that we would soon have "head transplants." And then he asked the question,

I just blogged this, and I link to a three-year-old article on the identity crises that hand transplants have already caused.

Frederica Mathewes-Green wrote about head transplants four years ago, after there were reports that such things had already been done semi-successfully on monkeys.

As for multi-headed people, I don't know what happened to the two-headed baby girl born in Egypt two years ago, but there's always the Hensel twins -- 15 years old as of last March!

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Look what they're transplanting NOW.

And if hand transplants cause people to go through identity crises and demand that the transplant be amputated, I am not at all surprised that the same thing would happen HERE.

(Speaking of which, has anyone here ever seen Percy (1971)? The star of that film was also in The Family Way, my #3 film of all time, so I have always been MILDLY curious... even if I DID first hear about that film in The Golden Turkey Awards...)

Marketing Guru 2nd in U.S. to Donate Face

In a Hollywood-style ending to a colorful life, Joseph Helfgot, the movie market researcher who passed away in Boston last week at age 60, became the second facial transplant donor in the United States, the family said on Tuesday.

Helfgot, whose insights in movie marketing were one of Hollywood

Spanish hospital claims 1st full-face transplant

MADRID (AP) -- A team of surgeons has carried out the world's first full-face transplant on a young Spanish farmer unable to breathe or eat on his own since accidentally shooting himself in the face five years ago.

It was the most extensive operation yet and the 11th known face transplant worldwide.

During the 24-hour surgery, doctors lifted an entire face, including jaw, nose, cheekbones, muscles, teeth and eyelids, and placed it masklike onto the man, Dr. Joan Pere Barret told The Associated Press on Friday. . . .

Associated Press, April 24

Texas man disfigured in accident gets US's first full face transplant at Boston hospital

BOSTON — A Texas construction worker horribly disfigured in a power line accident has undergone the nation's first full face transplant in hopes of smiling again and feeling kisses from his 3-year-old daughter.

Dallas Wiens, 25, received a new nose, lips, skin, muscle and nerves from an unidentified dead person in an operation paid for by the U.S. military, which wants to use what is learned to help soldiers with severe facial wounds.

Wiens will not resemble "either what he used to be or the donor," but something in between, said plastic surgeon Dr. Bohdan Pomahac). "The tissues are really moulded on a new person." . . .

Associated Press, March 21