I have been writing my children a novel intended to help them grow a few different directions intellectually and spiritually. It has been a very revealing process for several reasons.

It has been interesting to see what I intentionally bring to the story I am drafting and what just kind of appears by accident. I have always enjoyed the way that really good children’s lit can be immensely formative, but I now have a greater appreciation for authors that are insightful enough about themselves and life that they can create child-sized stories out of large, adult-sized realizations.

I seek your wisdom here. What are some of your favorite features of children/young adult fiction? For example, though I disagree with most of the Harry Potter analysis here, I find the discussion about the structure of young adult fiction really fascinating.

Two other things I think the article could mention about near-universal themes in young adult fiction are the absence of parent figures and learning how to survive in new environments. This is to be expected, I guess, from stories that intend to teach children how to grow up.

Edited by M. Leary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter