Short Circuit

Peter T Chattaway

Link to our thread on WALL-E (2008).

- - -

Director Tim Hill Hops To Dimension's 'Short Circuit' Reboot

EXCLUSIVE: Dimension Films is making a deal with Tim Hill to direct its reboot of Short Circuit, the 1986 film about an experimental robot manufactured to be a weapon until a lightning strike fills it with intelligence. It runs away and befriends a fractured family, the military in hot pursuit. Hill directed the Illumination pic Hop and Fox's Alvin and the Chipmunks. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, August 4

- - -

Why do I have the feeling that Johnny Five is going to be CG, rather than a practical effect, this time?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I guess you can put down The Iron Giant as a related film too, although WALL-E certainly did appear to be copped from Johnny Five.

Mentioning the original film makes me have flashbacks about Fisher Stevens (a shameful example of racial-stereotype "brownface" casting) and El DeBarge, neither of which is a good thing.

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

• 5 months later...

Dimension taps scribe for 'Short Circuit' reboot

Dimension Films has tapped Matt Lieberman to write a reimagining of "Short Circuit," which will be directed by Tim Hill ("Hop").

Hill will supervise the new take, the details of which remain under wraps. . . .

"Dimension has had great success with the 'Spy Kids' family series which grossed over $500 million worldwide," said Bob Weinstein, co-chairman of the Weinstein Co. "We are looking for 'Short Circuit' to be our next family franchise."

Lieberman is fresh out of Disney's feature writing program, where he worked on "The Muppets" and "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride." Scribe made a splash several years ago when he sold his pitch "The Pet" to Disney and producer Scott Rudin. . . .

Variety, February 2

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.