Film festival: Pastors, preachers, evangelists

As I wait for Machine Gun Preacher's release day, I thought it would be useful to think back on the big screen's most memorable (for better or worse) preachers.

My favorite: Euliss "Sonny" Dewey from The Apostle.

I'm also fond of Pastor Ron in You Can Count on Me.

I'm sure many will recall the man who marries Buttercup and Humperdink in The Princess Bride.

Other standouts?

I'm sure if we expand this to include priests, the list will grow quickly. But I'm having a hard time recalling prominent Protestant preachers at on the big screen...

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Hazel Motes in Wise Blood.

Father Ripper, from Heathers: "Eskimo."

I have this feeling we must have had a thread like this at some point, but my searches didn't come up with anything.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

While not a totally successful film, I always liked Steve Martin's performance as Jonas Nightengale in Leap of Faith. I especially liked the backstage peek into these traveling tent revivals.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Harry Powell (Robert Mitchum) in Night of the Hunter. He would fit in the "or worse" category.

It's all about his scream. You know the one.

Never ever forget Jan Malmsjö as Bishop Edvard Vergérus in Fanny and Alexander. Gives me chills every time.

Edited by Pair

Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, Υἱὲ τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἐλέησόν με τὸν ἁμαρτωλόν.

It was a minor character, but the pastor in Ordet always sticks in my mind. Not just because it's one of my fave films, but there's something subtly alarming about his skepticism and apathy. It's almost unnoticeable, but I feel it is very present. He seems complicated, like there is a great deal of another story about his life that we aren't allowed to know.

Still, Vergérus is top of my unforgettable list. He hangs over the child in me, brooding with hatred and contempt for my innerchild Pair.

Overstreet reminds me, I really must see Wise Blood at some point.

Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, Υἱὲ τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἐλέησόν με τὸν ἁμαρτωλόν.

Tom Skerrit was a Presbyterian minister in A River Runs Through It. It's been years since I've seen it, I don't remember much about his character.

Good one, J.R.!

The Apostle has already been mentioned, but let's not forget about Duvall's recent film Get Low, which features two Protestant ministers -- one played by Gerald McRaney, one by Bill Cobbs.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Orson Welles in Moby Dick. ::thumbsupup::

R. Lee Ermey in Fletch Lives. ::thumbsdown::

David Niven in The Bishop's Wife. ::thumbsupup::

Walter Pidgeon in How Green Was My Valley. ::thumbsupup::

Russell Crowe in The Quick and the Dead. :huh:

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

I'm sure many will recall the man who marries Buttercup and Wesley in The Princess Bride.

Actually, I can't recall whether Buttercup and Wesley got married at all! I do recall that a priest officiated at a ceremony for Buttercup and Prince Humperdinck, though.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 month later...

Just watched Eastwood's The Changeling last night and was quite impressed with John Malkovich's performance as civil liberties activist, Pastor Gustav Briegleb. One of the more positive onscreen spins of a "man of the cloth" that I've seen in a while.

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

While not a totally successful film, I always liked Steve Martin's performance as Jonas Nightengale in Leap of Faith. I especially liked the backstage peek into these traveling tent revivals.

I watched Leap of Faith for the first time recently and was surprised at how much I liked it.

There's always the gambling ring-busting pastor in that old corny '70s Disney flick, The North Avenue Irregulars.

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.