Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overstreet

Romancing the Stone

17 posts in this topic

People are getting really worked up about the possible remaking of Romancing the Stone.

I never thought the original was worth getting excited about. So I'm not upset about a remake. For all I know, the remake would be better.

But then again... if it ends up starring Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl... no... no... no thank you.

Edited by Overstreet

Link to our thread on 'Stupidest Idea for a Remake', where this has come up before.

Link to our thread on the TV series.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

If they can get a male lead as charismatic as Michael Douglas, go for it. But as of right now, I doubt we have any male actors who can really fit the bill.

Nathan Fillion... maybe. Josh Holloway, perhaps.

But then again, I'd rather they did something original and better than this.

Edited by Overstreet

It was only a few years ago that I first heard that Danny DeVito had been the original choice to play Sallah, the John Rhys-Davies character, in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I have since wondered if this film was his attempt to make up for turning down that role.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

It was only a few years ago that I first heard that Dannny DeVito had been the original choice to play Sallah, the John Rhys-Davies character, in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

:huh:

::LSHIC::

::hysterical::

(Reportedly, when the rather tall Rhys-Davies found out that the part of Sallah had originally been offered to DeVito, he asked jokingly if Lucas and Spielberg wanted him to have surgery at the knees. And then, 20 years later, he found himself playing a dwarf in The Lord of the Rings...)

Those guys don't hold a candle to Douglas.

I never thought the original was worth getting excited about. So I'm not upset about a remake. For all I know, the remake would be better.

Since I seem to be the schlock-lover in these parts, I admitted am a fan of this and its (definitely lesser) sequel, Jewel of the Nile. Great movies? Nope, but I find them fun enough to watch more than once.

Still, a remake...no thanks. A fun throwaway from the '80s does not always equal a big moneymaker several decades later.

(And then, 20 years later, he found himself playing a dwarf in The Lord of the Rings...)

And the voice of a giant walking tree in the same movie.

Peter T Chattaway said:

It was only a few years ago that I first heard that Danny DeVito had been the original choice to play Sallah, the John Rhys-Davies character, in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I have since wondered if this film was his attempt to make up for turning down that role.

I remember seeing Romancing the Stone in the theaters as a teenager, and thinking that some of the elements of Romancing the Stone were playing on the success of Raiders (of course Romancing isn't as good of a film). I'm not certain, but I expect that Romancing the Stone was probably put into production because of Raiders. Maybe they knew that he had been the original choice for Raiders, and with this in mind, offered him the role for Romancing.

Jason Panella said:

Since I seem to be the schlock-lover in these parts, I admitted am a fan of this and its (definitely lesser) sequel, Jewel of the Nile. Great movies? Nope, but I find them fun enough to watch more than once.

I'm with you. Sure this film wasn't the height of cinematic achievement, but I like it. My take is that It's kind of silly and schlocky, yet also pretty aware of this. It's B movie aspects are part of the joke.

Ryan H said:

He certainly had charisma in this film. I thought he played the character just fine, for being a bit of an anti-hero in what was mostly a comedy in the guise of a hero/ adventure movie.

His character had a good balance of charm, loopiness, rugged callous strength, but also something kinder underneath, that was needed for this movie.

He was a likeable jerk....... I wonder if a remake could end up portraying the character as pretty much an unlikeable jerk..... but still expect us to like him.

Edited by Attica

I just assumed they would give the role to Bradley Cooper.

While I don't agree with Ryan's assessment of Fillion or Holloway, I do agree that the part should go to someone else. I would choose Jason Clarke - he has the right mix of ruggedness, arogance, playfullness, and intensity. Unfortunately, he is isn't well known enough to be cast as the male lead in a film like this.

I watched "Romancing the Stone" with my Dad when I was a teenager. We were on a trip to Houseville, NY to do genealogical research on our family. I think it might have been the only time my Dad and I ever went to the movies together, just the two of us. We had a great time.

I saw this movie with my dad in the theatre when it was brand new, and I remember being a little creeped out by the sex scene(s) -- or, rather, by the fact that I was watching them with my dad sitting next to me. I was 13 at the time. (This film got a PG rating in the US back in the day, but that was a few months before the PG-13 rating was invented. I can't remember what the BC rating was. I haven't seen the film in over 27 years, now, but I suspect it would be somewhere on the boundary between PG-13 and R nowadays.)

For what it's worth, I had already seen three James Bond movies on the big screen with my dad by then (1981's For Your Eyes Only and 1983's Never Say Never Again and Octopussy), but somehow I got the feeling that the sex in there was rendered "safe" or "okay" -- in my dad's eyes, at any rate -- by the fact that they were just part of the James Bond formula. I remember my dad using those films on the drive home to teach me about the fact that real sex wasn't like movie sex; but I don't remember him doing that with this movie.

Don't forget The War of the Roses.

Don't forget The War of the Roses.

I really love THE WAR OF THE ROSES.