Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Terra Nova

16 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Interesting, but it's a poor ratings choice to try and compete with Monday Night Football. If I see it at all, it will only be because I DVR it during the games.

Posted · Report post

I will check it out... if simply because...hey...dinosaurs.

Posted · Report post

It's not bad, so far. Likable cast. The premise is crazy, but after you've totally suspended your disbelief, some intriguing storylines start developing.

Posted · Report post

I was just thinking the opposite, Beth. It's an intriguing premise, but the storylines so far have been dull. My wish is for a little more tension and conflict--maybe even some creative flash-forwards ala Lost. But this business of Sixers and the guy from Avatar and the boring family from the future is a little too underdeveloped, and not too compelling. I thought, hey, dinosaurs--cool! But so far this show is more Modular House on the 85 million year old Prairie than anything else.

Posted · Report post

Last night, the AV Club's Todd Van Der Werff tweeted this about Terra Nova: "Terra Nova was doomed the second they made the central location a safe compound...The problem is that making the central location so safe eliminates the sense of danger inherent in making the show, y'know, exciting." Take that as you will.

Posted · Report post

Last night, the AV Club's Todd Van Der Werff tweeted this about Terra Nova: "Terra Nova was doomed the second they made the central location a safe compound...The problem is that making the central location so safe eliminates the sense of danger inherent in making the show, y'know, exciting." Take that as you will.

Huh. It's not that safe. Did he see the episode with the pterosaurs? In terms of storylines, I wasn't thinking so much about the episode plots but about some longer narrative arcs that seem to be developing. But a show like this, set in a large community, has got to get something interesting going pretty quickly or it really is doomed. Dinos are not enough.

Posted · Report post

Ep. 3:

Airborne pathogen causing strange behavior.

Old Star Trek trope; happens early in the first seasons of the original series, DS9 and Enterprise. (Probably happened on TNG and Voyager as well, at some point.) Something more original this week, perhaps?

Posted · Report post

Ep. 3:

Airborne pathogen causing strange behavior.

Old Star Trek trope; happens early in the first seasons of the original series, DS9 and Enterprise. (Probably happened on TNG and Voyager as well, at some point.) Something more original this week, perhaps?

Airborne, dunno, but the second episode of TNG was a sequel to "The Naked Time" and it revolves around a similar sort of thing.

Posted · Report post

What made the Terra Nova episode unique was, of course, the particular characters involved. Because they were husband and wife, there was a dynamic that none of the Trek episodes touched on. I thought it was a well-done story.

Posted · Report post

This is stunning to me, because everyone I know who watched it said they thought it was a great show, and the ratings were quite good!

Posted · Report post

This is stunning to me, because everyone I know who watched it said they thought it was a great show, and the ratings were quite good!

The ratings were good, yes, but I think the network wanted ridiculously good ratings, considering some of the names attached.

Posted · Report post

The ratings were good, yes, but I think the network wanted ridiculously good ratings, considering some of the names attached.

Not too mention the cost.

Posted · Report post

Bummer. I think Books and Culture is going to be publishing a series on this series soon.