• O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
    • The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)
    • Intolerable Cruelty (2003)
    • The Ladykillers (2004)
    • No Country for Old Men (2007)
    • Burn After Reading (2008)
    • A Serious Man (2009)
    • True Grit (2010)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 posts in this topic

...I have a few quibbles.

Right off the bat, mine would be the categorization of The Man Who Wasn't There. Definitely should replace one of the films listed under great oddities (Raising Arizona perhaps?). Or expand that category to four films.

edit: Actually, perhaps I would just retitle the "Interesting Misfires" category... they are three films I find myself revisiting on a fairly regular basis.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

...And I've only seen The Ladykillers once, but I found it quite watchable.

I just watched the Ladykillers. While it wasn't great, it wasn't unwatchable. Thought Clooney would have played the role better than Hanks.

Jeffrey Wells reflects on the turnaround in his assessment of Miller's Crossing.

I saw it again on Bluray this morning and everything changed. Now it's a near-masterpiece. Now I plan to watch it every year or so for the rest of my life.

Wow, did he really wait to rewatch it until its Blu-ray release? Better late than never.

Edited by Christian

I found myself at Barnes & Noble Christmas Eve day, holding the Coen Brothers Blu-ray box set, which was priced at 40% off, and wondering if I should strike. I didn't, but now I have some gift cards to use. It's hard for me to justify repurchasing four titles I already own in another format, but those movies are so great.

The goodness of this is overflowing.

Wow, thanks, Michael.

I'll pile on and say it was a great read -- maybe a little too great, as I couldn't absorb everything in one sitting!

I concur! Excellent conversation, with many valuable observations throughout. I especially like this:

The Coens seem to get a kick out of tantalizing us with answers while laughing at the very idea that there could be answers.

and this:

But there is something out there, some kind of offer of grace, and when we glimpse that, goodness happens in us.

Well done, Jeffrey (and Matt).

Edited by Nathaniel

I went into Raising Arizona last night skeptically, thinking there was no way a Nicolas Cage comedy could ever surpass A Serious Man or True Grit or even Blood Simple.

How wrong can you get?

I went into Raising Arizona last night skeptically, thinking there was no way a Nicolas Cage comedy could ever surpass A Serious Man or True Grit or even Blood Simple.

How wrong can you get?

thumbsup.gif

I found myself at Barnes & Noble Christmas Eve day, holding the Coen Brothers Blu-ray box set, which was priced at 40% off, and wondering if I should strike. I didn't, but now I have some gift cards to use. It's hard for me to justify repurchasing four titles I already own in another format, but those movies are so great.

A year later, this set was given to me by my wife as a Christmas present.

Chris Orr is celebrating the 30th anniversary of Blood Simple's Toronto Film Festival debut by writing about 16 Coen brothers films over 16 days.

Coen Bros. regular Jon Polito has passed away.  I had the pleasure of meeting him on my birthday last year, when he came to the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica for a 25th anniversary screening of Miller's Crossing.  Nobody in attendance gave him the high hat that night.

jon polito.jpg

Saw The Hudsucker Proxy last night. Very funny, enjoyable. Not comparatively well admired here though, to other Coens at least. I've only seen half of the films in the list. My faves are in the earlier years, adding Blood Simple and Raising Arizona to the one last night as favorites.  Miller's Crossing,  Barton Fink and Fargo are in the queue. The brothers took a left turn out of Fargo.