Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Links to threads on the comic-book character, Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) and The Avengers (2012).

- - -

Chris Evans Says ‘Captain America’ Sequel Might Not Arrive Until 2014

Also Reveals That Steve Rogers Will Likely Just Appear In ‘Captain America’ & ‘Avengers’ Films, No Other Marvel Movie Cameos

The Playlist, September 22

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

I am okay with the heroes not regularly paying visits to each other's films.

But I do think that is one of the really cool things Marvel is doing with their films. It's kinda neat having a film "universe" that clearly ties together.

The Winter Soldier, eh? Somehow I missed this tagline.

My secret hope is for "winter is coming" to be incorporated into the dialogue somewhere.

Anna J wrote:

: The Winter Soldier, eh? Somehow I missed this tagline.

They only announced it the other day, when they announced the release date.

: My secret hope is for "winter is coming" to be incorporated into the dialogue somewhere.

I take it this is a reference to something...? (Googlegooglegoogle.) Ah. Alas, it's the *other* just-announced Marvel sequel that's being directed by a Game of Thrones vet. :)

Actually, I'm not sure if they even *have* a director for this film yet.

Actually, I'm not sure if they even *have* a director for this film yet.

They do: Anthony and Joe Russo.

Well, the new title alone confirms a suspicion I had about something that happened in the first movie.

Yep, I had the same thought. (For those who aren't comic book fans, take a look at this Wiki page to see what "Winter Soldier" refers to in the Marvel universe.)

So, you are going to direct people to what will be a spoiler in the film? ;)

So, you are going to direct people to what will be a spoiler in the film? wink.png

Admittedly I'm not a spoiler-sensistive guy, but I wouldn't have held back in talking about how Harvey Dent becomes Two-Face prior to the release of THE DARK KNIGHT. Same kind of situation here.

Edited by Ryan H.

So, you are going to direct people to what will be a spoiler in the film? wink.png

Yeah, I'm with Ryan here. I'd say some of this stuff is going to end up in both trailers and "spoiler free" synopses of the movie.

Edited by Jason Panella

Frank Grillo to play Crossbones in 'Captain America' sequel

Frank Grillo has landed the role of the villainous Crossbones in Marvel and Disney's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier."

A key villain in Captain America's rogues gallery, character debuted in 1989 as Brock Rumlow, a leader of the Savage Crims gang in New York's lower East Side before joining a school for criminals and later becoming a henchman of the Red Skull under the code name Crossbones. . . .

Variety, October 29

I liked Frank Grillo a lot in Warrior. He brought more to the role than it needed. For some reason I have it in my head that he's a practicing Christian, I think a Catholic.

Synopsis:

"Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world and teams up with Natasha Romanoff, aka Black Widow, to battle a powerful yet shadowy enemy in present-day Washington, D.C."

Story also includes a full cast list:

Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/Captain America, Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Robert Redford as senior S.H.I.E.L.D. leader and agent Alexander Pierce, Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier, Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson/Falcon, Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill, Frank Grillo as Brock Rumlow, Georges St-Pierre as Georges Batroc, Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter, Toby Jones as Arnim Zola, Emily VanCamp as Agent 13 and Maximiliano Hernandez as Agent Jasper Sitwell.

I know Jeffrey's not going to agree (sorry, Jeff!) but this movie actually looks...thoughtful! Like an exploration of what freedom is, and what it isn't, and the things that destroy freedom. Maybe this is a superhero film that's about something more than just asplosions and fisticuffs?

I know Jeffrey's not going to agree (sorry, Jeff!) but this movie actually looks...thoughtful! Like an exploration of what freedom is, and what it isn't, and the things that destroy freedom. Maybe this is a superhero film that's about something more than just asplosions and fisticuffs?

I don't disagree. The trailer shows some potential. But I don't trust trailers at all. I've seen thoughtful superhero movies in the past, and I'm happy to see thoughtful superhero movies in the future.  

Agreed. Of course, my experience with Marvel movies is that they always look more interesting in trailer-form than they prove to be. But I'd say this movie promises to be at least as thoughtful in its interaction with current events as the Nolan Batman movies--and in a more interesting way, since Cap seems to symbolize a society that stands in diametric opposition to NSA/security-state measures (in this vein I'm fascinated that SHIELD seems to be getting more problematic. Shades of Into Darkness?)--whereas Batman is NSA/security-state measures. Whether the society Cap symbolizes ever existed is another matter, but that's how he functions (perhaps that's how the man-from-another-time always functions? I'm not sure).

So color me interested. Even if, as I say, I tend to find Marvel movies more interesting (as opposed to enjoyable--they're nearly always that) in the anticipation than in the execution.

This trailer shows great potential, with all the questions about freedom and with Sam Jackson and S.H.I.E.L.D. looking more and more like "the bad guys."

Then again, the whole thing ends with a massive airborne aircraft carrier thingy crash-landing in a major city, so there is certainly a lot of room for Overstreet's concerns about mindless explosions and violence.

Whatever the case, as I posted on Facebook, this film looks WAY more interesting than the Thor sequel.

This trailer shows great potential, with all the questions about freedom and with Sam Jackson and S.H.I.E.L.D. looking more and more like "the bad guys."

Then again, the whole thing ends with a massive airborne aircraft carrier thingy crash-landing in a major city, so there is certainly a lot of room for Overstreet's concerns about mindless explosions and violence.

The trailer feels like a mix of Into Darkness and the trailer for Iron Man 2--and it makes me wonder if we're going to get another movie where the villain is captured and escapes as part of his elaborate plan. I'm not being ironic when I say I hope so; to me, this cliche has been the most interesting thing about the most recent spate of action movies; every instance is different in provoking ways (spoilers:  it's doubtful whether Khan's plan really is a plan; the Joker wants to create chaos from within; Silva hijacks the modern world of Bond and forces him to retreat into a low-tech environment--though this isn't really his plan). It's proving to be a tremendously pliable bit of plot, even if it provokes yawns or howls when it shows up--and even (perhaps especially) when its introduction causes all sorts of plot-holes.

Edited by NBooth