Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anna J

A&F Bandwidth Issues: UPDATE 11/22

77 posts in this topic

I'm sort of confused about this, but other sites I work with use Google search & seem to function all right. The A&F /Invision search has never worked very well for me, but maybe I just don't understand how to use it. I'm willing to pitch in something for the board, but mostly out of nostalgia at this point.

Politics can certainly go.

I ask this without knowing a thing about bandwith issues, or storage capacities and the like (I equate with the theory that even a slow drip will eventually cause a bathtub to overflow), but I was wondering if cutting back such things as "email notifications on new topics" might help trim the fat, so to speak. I'm not sure when I started receiving these notices, but since I'm pretty much a daily visitor those emails become somewhat redundant. I wonder how much bandwith is used to generate those notices? Just some food for thought.

Alas, I have no knowledge of Sphinx (nor would I know the name of our current search engine, if anybody asked me). All I know is that I would never want to be limited to Google, given all its limitations.

For what it's worth, I'd rather not delete any of our archives if we don't have to. And I say this as one who has undergone some radical changes of heart and mind over the past decade, and who would probably find some of the older posts kind of embarrassing if they were dredged up for some reason. :)

Alas, I have no knowledge of Sphinx (nor would I know the name of our current search engine, if anybody asked me). All I know is that I would never want to be limited to Google, given all its limitations.

For what it's worth, I'd rather not delete any of our archives if we don't have to. And I say this as one who has undergone some radical changes of heart and mind over the past decade, and who would probably find some of the older posts kind of embarrassing if they were dredged up for some reason. :)

Hey, some of us are embarrassed by posts from the last month! ;) I enjoy some of the thread-pulls on this board -- when a newer member or A&F veteran dredges up some thread from 2004 and dives right into the discussion, reminding those who posted in those threads of what we were thinking years ago. I'd hate to lose that, although I'm not sure what dollar amount I'd place on the value of retaining that option.

All right.

It looks like we'll be moving to Hostgator ASAP, but we won't make a decision on changing the search box now. Let's see how this works and consider it again in the future.

Thanks for your input, everybody.

Update:

We are finally moving to Hostgator this weekend. It will cost us a little more per month, and we should be able to get a new search engine for free, if we want one (let's look at some as a group and see if there are any that might work for us).

The forum might be down at times during the next 24-48 hours.

Hopefully things will be much better after that!

Welcome back, and thanks for all the effort that went into this relaunch.

YAYYYY! It still looks kinda weird - will be working on that tomorrow. At least things are up and running, more or less.

Could y'all post here with random glitches that you notice? Right now I can see

1) the header doesn't stretch all the way across

2) the tabs are the wrong color, and some buttons

3) forum eating posts? NBooth mentioned some that were missing.

If you think a thread is missing some, please post here with the thread link and the approximate date of posts that seem to be gone.

Anything else? Let me know!

YAYYYY! It still looks kinda weird - will be working on that tomorrow. At least things are up and running, more or less.

If you think a thread is missing some, please post here with the thread link and the approximate date of posts that seem to be gone.

FWIW,it looks to me like it's mostly stuff around the last of November--right before the switchover started--that went missing. I know I had a post in this thread that seems to have vanished, and two from the David Peace thread are also gone.

That's a minor thing, though, in the bigger picture. It's good to have A&F back. I was having some withdrawals.

Edited by NBooth

FWIW,it looks to me like it's mostly stuff around the last of November--right before the switchover started--that went missing. I know I had a post in this thread that seems to have vanished, and two from the David Peace thread are also gone.

That's a minor thing, though, in the bigger picture. It's good to have A&F back. I was having some withdrawals.

Good to have the board back.

Thom and I both posted at the end of the Melancholia thread... and I was hoping to view any responses there when the board went down. (could be that there were none I guess)

Congratulations, Anna! You did it! Things look pretty good so far.

But yeah, we lost some stuff.

I think we lost an entire thread, one that was growing fast. It was called "2011 Critics' Lists, Awards Lists, MCN, etc. "

I've started a *new* thread with that title to keep track of other lists as they come in, but it would be great if we could dig up the posts that had already been stacking up there. Quite a few lists had come in.

Edited by Overstreet

"Good work!" to all involved.

I got a Tweet from someone who is trying to register and can't seem to make it work. Is registration open?

Thanks for everything. Sounds like it was a lot of work.

Congratulations, Anna! You did it! Things look pretty good so far.

But yeah, we lost some stuff.

I think we lost an entire thread, one that was growing fast. It was called "2011 Critics' Lists, Awards Lists, MCN, etc. "

I've started a *new* thread with that title to keep track of other lists as they come in, but it would be great if we could dig up the posts that had already been stacking up there. Quite a few lists had come in.

There was a similar thread in the Music forum-- I think just called 2011 Critic Lists, maybe?-- that also seems to have disappeared. Was not quite as long as the other, and can be easily replaced, but I mention it here just the same, in case anybody comes across it.

Here's a coast-to-coast high five for Anna. Nice work!

I kind of like the "off" colors, too. It adds a Lovecraftian feel to the site. (That and the non-Euclidean geometry.)

The funny thing is...it wasn't really a lot of *work*....it was a lot of explaining and re-explaining over email and waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and then doing it all over again...I mean, that's work too, but it's not like I did the code myself! (Thank God.)

RyanH: Excellent. I love popping in to find a musical montage.

Jeff, I'm trying to track down that friend of Sara's.

P.S. Thanks for the love, everyone. I was starting to have withdrawals myself!

Happy to see A&F again, and everyone along with with it! Thanks!

Are we here? Did I successfully merge the parallel universes?

Are we here? Did I successfully merge the parallel universes?

I'm looking at a photo of my co-workers and ME. and ME., and for some reason my head is missing. Is this bad?

Edited by Jason Panella

I've awakened from the bad dream where only Anna J and I lived in the new board! I mean, not that I mind Anna's company...

Now I just have to figure out what to do about the posts I added yesterday in several threads of the alternate universe.

THANKS, ANNA!

Edited by Overstreet

Anna J wrote:

: Are we here? Did I successfully merge the parallel universes?

Eh? There was another universe?

Jason Panella wrote;

: I'm looking at a photo of my co-workers and I . . .

and ME. and ME.

Sorry, but the rampant use of "and I" where people mean "and me" is one of my grammatical pet peeves. Gives me an itch, it does.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0