Sign in to follow this  
Darren H

Dish? Cable? U-Verse? OTA? Nothing?

I expect that Buckeye's point will finally bring Christian around to getting that Netflix subscription. ;)

Well, I did have a King Kong lunch box in elementary school, with a picture of Kong atop the World Trade Center, swinging at airplanes.

And Jeff Bridges is my favorite actor.

And I still take some delight in seeing Charles Grodin get smushed.

I get it. Each man must work out his own Microsoft Money spreadsheet with fear and trembling. For me, going this route was a cost-saving measure, as I cut out pay TV and a DVR, as well as the couple of bucks I was spending at redbox each month. I went from $80-90 per month to $8.

It's true, though. My wife and I don't have cable TV, and we almost never go to the movies (one of the reasons why my 2012 Top Ten list has four things on it). We're patient enough to just wait for things to either show up on Netflix, either with DVD or streaming. We're able to catch a few things on our TV's bunny ears, like Parks & Rec, which is just fine. I guess it also helps that neither of us are sports fans, really.

Last year I got a free television set at a garage sale, and last night I finally got it set up to be my viewing experience next to my basement workout equipment.  And while I had it set up with lots of DVD box sets (primarily of older sitcoms that I enjoy), I decided to set it up with Roku last night, to complement my Amazon Prime and Netflix subscriptions.

I think it's incredible.  And I love the fact that it has over 1000 channels.  But I am having the hardest time making any sense as to what channels are worth pursuing or not; is there any "instantwatcher" for Roku? (Their website, alas, is clunky and slow).

Nick

Some of you cable-cutters might add some interest to Prof. Jonathan Gray's (U. Wisconsin, Madison) survey on how people find TV shows they like. Takes about 10 minutes:

https://uwmadison.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8l7NAGg7D7v57h3

I took the survey, and then I couldn't help messing with the poor research assistant that's going to have to code it.  I really think that respondents should not be allowed to check all that apply for demographics.