The Cabin in the Woods

133 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Poster:

Cabin-In-The-Woods-poster.jpg

Trailer:

Spoiler warning on the trailer. It gives away what I'm assuming are the first two acts of the story, and maybe part of the third.

Edited by Tyler

Posted · Report post

Spoiler warning on the trailer. It gives away what I'm assuming are the first two acts of the story, and maybe part of the third.

Well, I'm wondering if this is the case...there's a whole gaggle of Whedon's stock company in this movie who aren't in the trailer (plus some others, like Richard Jenkins). Maybe the trailer is intentionally misleading?

Posted · Report post

Well, I'm wondering if this is the case...there's a whole gaggle of Whedon's stock company in this movie who aren't in the trailer (plus some others, like Richard Jenkins). Maybe the trailer is intentionally misleading?

Yeah, the AV Club wondered the same thing.

Patton Dodd reviews it, sort of, at Reeligion.

The philosopher Noel Carroll said that horror stories want to produce in us a combination of fear and disgust. Carroll calls this “art-horror” in order to distinguish it from the “natural horror” of, say, fear of a coming tornado. Art-horror describes our relationship to a story—we’re not just frightened by Frankenstein or Freddy Krueger; we’re repulsed by them, in part because they are deformed versions of ourselves. Horror can be very cheap, of course (which is part of Whedon and Goddard’s concern), but when it’s rich, it forces us to look at those deformities. Horror promises that it’s fun to be frightened, and then, once the fun is over, keeps us staring until we’re ready to ask what we’ve done to become this way.

The Cabin in the Woods, it seems to me after one viewing, is this rich kind of horror. Its use of religion is not the most pronounced aspect of the film, but it’s necessary to the film’s most basic question: Why would we go to The Cabin in the Woods in the first place?

Edited by Overstreet

Posted · Report post

Beth Rambo tweeted an article over the weekend that has some great buzz (and also underlining the whole "NO SPOILERS!" bit). I'm pretty excited.

Posted · Report post

Beth Rambo tweeted an article over the weekend that has some great buzz (and also underlining the whole "NO SPOILERS!" bit). I'm pretty excited.

I've officially moved from mildly interested to really wanting to see this.

Posted · Report post

I've been told by several friends that the less you know about the film going in, the better. I'm going to avoid all reviews and all ads before I see this one.

Posted · Report post

I've been told by several friends that the less you know about the film going in, the better. I'm going to avoid all reviews and all ads before I see this one.

I hear ya, Scott. I actually usually handle spoilers well, but I'm avoiding as much as I can about the movie from this point on.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the virtual retweet, Jason.

Y'all know that I'm too much of a 'fraidy cat to actually see this movie, as much as I'd like to support the Joss-man. It may be the best horror movie ever. I hope it makes a bazillion dollars. It's still not for me. This is why I'm not a professional film critic.

Posted · Report post

Get ready.

Oh, and...

Avoid. All. Reviews.

Posted · Report post

I've been excited for this, Jeffrey! So glad to see your brief comments!

Posted · Report post

Note: It's currently 95% positive at Rotten Tomatoes. And so far, the blurbs are safer to read than I would have expected. (I wouldn't open any of the reviews linked there, though. These reviews have unprecedented potential for spoilers.)

Posted · Report post

Keith Phipps at the AV Club gives it an A-. I'm trying to avoid spoilers on this movie, and it seems like Phipps does an OK job of avoiding them (I only skimmed it).

I won't link it here, but Rex Reed also phoned in an incredibly negative review over at the New York Observer. I didn't read it, but judging from some of the comments, people are suspecting he fell asleep at some point — I guess he "spoils" a lot of things that don't actually happen in the movie.

Posted · Report post

I won't link it here, but Rex Reed also phoned in an incredibly negative review over at the New York Observer. I didn't read it, but judging from some of the comments, people are suspecting he fell asleep at some point — I guess he "spoils" a lot of things that don't actually happen in the movie.

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Posted · Report post

This was the most fun I've had watching a movie in a long time. What an amazingly original and thoroughly entertaining riff on the genre. Might be the best film I've seen this year.

Posted · Report post

My review. (Spoilers, but only mild, first-act spoilers that have already been widely spoiled.)

Posted · Report post

My review. (Spoilers, but only mild, first-act spoilers that have already been widely spoiled.)

Great, great review Jeffrey. Boy, did we have the same reaction - while the credits rolled at the premiere, I tweeted "Most fun I've had watching a horror film since Shaun of the Dead".

This isn't expected to open huge - the question is, will it build on word of mouth the way SCREAM did? I sure hope so.

I appreciate the restraint of this review, Jeffrey, but you use a word that rather gives the game away. (Here's a hint: it begins with "A.") Knowing your excellent track record for withholding "wonderful surprises," I thought you might like to reconsider.

Also, isn't it called The Cabin in the Woods? :)

Edited by Nathaniel

Posted · Report post

This isn't expected to open huge - the question is, will it build on word of mouth the way SCREAM did? I sure hope so.

I'm wondering if the film will draw in people looking for something more traditional. How will they react?

Posted · Report post

Nathaniel, good catch on the title. And I guess I thought the "A" word was flexible enough to represent literal events or storytelling implications... but based on your response I've changed that line.

Nathaniel, good catch on the title. And I guess I thought the "A" word was flexible enough to represent literal events or storytelling implications... but based on your response I've changed that line.

I know your readership will appreciate it. new_spiral.gif

Edited by Nathaniel

Posted · Report post

I had a blast and echo the sentiment to know as little as possible going in.

Posted · Report post

Just got back. And yes to everyone's sentiments that it's awesome and that you should go in as blind as possible.

So, is this Whedon's version of The Last Temptation of Christ?

Posted · Report post

I was curious, so I tracked down the Rex Reed review mentioned earlier in the thread. It's bizarre. He gets so many basic details about Cabin wrong what I would've assumed he hadn't actually watched the movie, except that he gives away a part of the ending; the way he interprets it is still completely off, but it's an inexcusable spoiler nonetheless.

Also, the strongest comparison I thought of is Haneke's Funny Games. They're both about implicating the audience as voyeurs for the violence that's happening onscreen; Cabin's twist, of course, is that God (or the gods, I guess) is/are the real audience.

I was a little stunned by the EW B-, especially as she gave Shaun of the Dead (a film people keep bringing up as comparable for enjoyment level) a B+. I mean, this is easily a B+ in my mind.

One of te things that both surprised and pleased me how they really did not make the "gruesomeness of the kills" the focus. I mean, in something like Saw, it is about how brutally intense the suffering is...here, a lot of the moments that would be long, drawn out and painstakingly provided for the viewer instead happen offscreen. It is the implications of the plot, the characters, the humor and curiousity of what is really going on that give the film momentum. But, all that said...they did not skimp on splashing as much fake blood on the set as they could. smile.png

And um... that Rex Reed interview lost me at the first paragraph...but he considers it degrading to point out the Drew Goddard has written for Buffy and Lost. That pretty much tells me where he is coming from. But his review is a total trip to read, after yousee the movie.

Edited by Nezpop